A spicy naan bread, known as curry flatbread, is a delicious addition to any Indian meal. This delicious flatbread is dry fried for a crispy texture that goes perfectly with spicy curries and aromatic dishes. With its unique blend of spices, it gives your culinary experience that certain something. You can prepare this delicious side dish in just five minutes. Whether you’re hosting a dinner party or just craving an authentic Indian treat, this curry flatbread is sure to impress your taste buds!
- 500 g strong white flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 7 g bag of rapid yeast
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 300 ml water
- 100g sultanas
- 50g mild curry powder
- 3 tbsp mango chutney
Do it differently
Take a portion of flatbread dough and spread it over either 50g chopped brie and 50g cooked, sliced onions or 50g crumbled stilton and
50g roasted chopped walnuts. Fold and divide as in the curry flatbread recipe, then cook as in step 2.
- Mix flour, salt, yeast and oil in a large bowl
- Add enough water to create a soft but not mushy dough
- Knead the dough well
- Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl and let rise for 1 hour, until doubled in size
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface into a 25cm diameter square
- Spread the sultanas, curry powder and chutney over the dough, leaving a gap of 1 cm around the edges
- Fold one side of the dough (like a book) and press to seal
- Roll out the dough again to the same size
- Divide the dough into 8 pieces, about 250g each
- Using a rolling pin, flatten each piece into a circle 15cm in diameter and about 1cm thick
- Place the pieces on a lightly floured baking sheet
- Let the dough rise for another 5 minutes
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat
- Dry-fry each piece of dough until browned on both sides, about 5 minutes total
- Set the finished flatbreads aside to cool slightly before serving
Equipment and tools
The following equipment and tools are recommended for making curry flatbread:
- mixing bowl
- measuring spoon
- Whisk or fork
- rolling pin
- Baking tray or pizza stone
- Parchment paper or silicone baking mat
The curry flatbread recipe contains the following allergens:
- Wheat flour)
Please keep this in mind if you have allergies or dietary restrictions.
Storage and leftovers
If there are any leftovers, you can store the curry flatbread in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days. To reheat, you can either put it in a toaster or briefly warm it in a preheated oven at 180°C (350°F) for a few minutes.
Health Benefits of Curry Flatbread
Curry flatbread is not only a delicious and versatile dish, but it also comes with several health benefits. Here are some reasons why you should include curry flatbread in your diet, from being a good source of nutrients to aiding digestion.
1. Nutrient rich
Curry flatbread is made primarily from strong white flour, which is a good source of carbohydrates, protein and fiber. These nutrients provide energy, repair body tissues, and promote healthy digestion.
2. Strengthens the immune system
Curry powder, a key ingredient in curry flatbreads, is a spice blend containing turmeric, which contains a compound called curcumin. Curcumin has been studied for its potential anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, which may help support a healthy immune system.
3. Contains essential minerals
Flatbread dough is usually made with salt, which contains important minerals like sodium and iodine. Sodium helps regulate fluid balance in the body, while iodine is necessary for the normal functioning of the thyroid gland, which controls metabolism.
4. Provides antioxidants
Adding sultanas to curry flatbread gives the dish a touch of sweetness and a boost of antioxidants. Antioxidants help protect the body from free radicals, unstable molecules that can damage cells and contribute to various health conditions.
5. Supports digestion
Using olive oil in curry flatbread not only improves the taste but also provides healthy fats that aid digestion. Olive oil has been linked to reducing the risk of digestive disorders and promoting a healthy gut.
6. Provides satiety
With its combination of carbohydrates, protein, and fiber, curry flatbread can help you feel full and satisfied for a longer period of time. This can be particularly helpful for those who want to control their weight or maintain stable blood sugar levels.
7. Adds variety to your diet
Curry Flatbread offers a creative twist on traditional flatbread recipes by combining the unique flavors of mild curry powder and mango chutney. By trying new recipes and ingredients, you can add variety to your diet and get a wider range of nutrients and flavors.
Next time you’re looking for a tasty and nutritious option, give curry flatbread a try. Its blend of healthy ingredients and health benefits make it a fantastic addition to any meal.