On this page you will find a delicious recipe for a cumin-scented chicken curry that will tantalize your taste buds. Not only is this curry incredibly flavorful, but it’s even better when made in advance. By fusing the ingredients together, the complex blend of spices and aromatic cumin infuses the chicken pieces, creating a dish that is rich, flavorful and completely irresistible. Whether you’re planning a special dinner or simply want to treat yourself to a delicious home-cooked meal, this make-ahead curry is sure to impress.
- 12 large bone-in chicken thighs
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil or sunflower oil
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 3 cm piece of fresh ginger root, peeled and chopped
- 3 thick cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 thick green chilies, halved lengthwise (leave some or all of the seeds in if you like a spicy curry)
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 large peppers, one red and one yellow or orange, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 250 ml cup of natural yogurt
- 3 tbsp chopped coriander for serving
- Peel the skin off the chicken with paper towels to ensure a good grip.
- Set the chicken aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat – a wok works great for this.
- Fry the cumin seeds for a few seconds until they give off a wonderful nutty aroma.
- Add the onions and reduce the heat.
- Cook with the lid closed until the onions are soft and mushy but not starting to color – 10 minutes.
- Scatter over the ginger, garlic and chillies and fry for about a minute.
- Sprinkle turmeric, garam masala and paprika on top.
- Add the chicken and peppers and continue to sauté until the spice mixture clings to the chicken and the onions turn reddish brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add a splash of water if they stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Stir the tomato puree into the yogurt.
- Reduce the heat slightly and swirl the yoghurt into the pan, followed by 125ml cold water.
- Bring to a simmer and cook gently, uncovered, until the chicken is tender, about 30-35 minutes.
- If the sauce becomes dry, add a little more water – it should thicken and take on a warm reddish hue.
- Add salt if you wish. (Stores in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.)
- Reheat in a covered casserole in the oven at 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6 for 20-30 minutes or until bubbles form (add a splash of water if the sauce is too thick).
- Sprinkle with coriander before serving.
Equipment and tools
- cutting board
- Large pan or wok
- Spatula or tongs
- measuring spoon
This recipe contains the following allergens:
Storage and leftovers
The cooked cumin-scented chicken curry can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply heat in a skillet over medium heat until warmed through. Leftovers can also be frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
Health Benefits of Cumin Scented Chicken Curry
Cumin-scented chicken curry not only provides a burst of flavor but also offers several health benefits. This delicious dish combines the aromatic and healing properties of cumin with the high protein content of chicken thighs, making it a nutritious and healthy meal.
1. High protein content
Chicken thighs are an excellent source of protein that is essential for muscle growth, repair and overall development. Protein also helps maintain a healthy weight, keeps you feeling full for longer periods of time, and prevents overeating.
2. Strengthen the immune system with cumin seeds
Cumin seeds, a key ingredient in this curry, are known not only for their distinctive taste but also for their numerous health benefits. They are rich in antioxidants and help strengthen the immune system and protect the body from various diseases.
3. Anti-inflammatory properties
The combination of cumin, turmeric, and ginger in this curry offers powerful anti-inflammatory properties. These ingredients are traditionally used in Ayurvedic medicine to reduce inflammation in the body, which can help relieve the symptoms of arthritis and other inflammatory diseases.
4. Digestive aid
Both cumin and ginger have been used as natural digestive aids for centuries. They help stimulate the production of digestive enzymes, improve digestion, and relieve symptoms of indigestion, bloating, and bloating.
5. Nutrient-rich peppers
Using bold peppers in this chicken curry provides a number of essential nutrients. Bell peppers are rich in vitamin C, which boosts the immune system, as well as vitamin A and other antioxidants, which promote healthy skin and eyes.
6. Probiotic yogurt
The addition of natural yogurt not only improves the creamy texture of the curry, but also provides probiotics that promote healthy gut bacteria. Probiotics are important for digestive health and strengthen the immune system.
7. Heart-healthy ingredients
This cumin-scented chicken curry contains heart-healthy ingredients like garlic and tomato puree. Garlic has been shown to lower cholesterol, while tomato puree is rich in lycopene, an antioxidant that supports heart health.
8. Tasty herb – coriander
Finally, the curry is garnished with chopped coriander, which adds a special taste and has numerous health benefits. Cilantro is a good source of vitamins A, C and K, as well as minerals such as potassium and iron.
Enjoy the delicious taste of cumin-scented chicken curry while reaping its numerous health benefits. Remember that this dish should be consumed in moderation as part of a balanced diet.