This light, savory tart is packed with asparagus, zucchini, fresh herbs and tangy feta cheese. The crispy filo dough adds a delicious crunch to every bite. Perfect for alfresco dining, this tart is best enjoyed al fresco accompanied by your favorite refreshing drink. The combination of seasonal vegetables brings an explosion of vibrant colors and flavors to your plate, making for a visually stunning dish that is as delicious as it is beautiful. Whether you’re hosting a summer garden party or just looking for a tasty vegetarian option, this crispy filo pastry tart with seasonal vegetables is sure to impress!
- 3 tablespoons olive or rapeseed oil
- 6-8 sheets of filo dough
- 50g dried breadcrumbs
- 100g asparagus, halved lengthwise if it is very thick
- 2 zucchini or 300g baby zucchini (or a mix), sliced
- 6 large eggs
- Zest 2 lemons
- small handful of parsley, mint or basil (or a mixture), coarsely chopped
- 200g crème fraîche
- 200g block feta cheese, crumbled
- a handful of small lettuce leaves or herbs, e.g. B. Swiss chard or pea sprouts (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4 and place a baking tray in to heat.
- Lightly grease an 18 x 25 cm tart pan with a little oil (ours was 3 cm deep).
- Place a few strips of baking paper on the tin – this will make it easier for you to remove the tart later.
- Unfold the dough, but cover it with a damp tea towel as you work to prevent it from drying out.
- Take one sheet at a time, brush each piece well with oil, then lay them out to line your tart pan. Leave some of the dough hanging over the edges.
- Gradually sprinkle a thin layer of breadcrumbs between each layer of dough – this will keep the dough crispy.
- When you reach the final layer, brush it with a little extra oil and press the edges together to create a nice border.
- Mix the asparagus and zucchini with the spices and the remaining oil and place on a baking tray.
- Place the dough base on the top rack of the oven, the vegetables on the rack below and let it cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove the vegetables from the oven.
- Brush the tart with a little beaten egg and bake for another 5 minutes until the dough is golden brown and crispy.
- Whisk the remaining egg with the lemon zest, herbs, crème fraîche and spices.
- Place half of the vegetables on the bottom of the pastry crust and add half of the feta.
- Pour the egg mixture over the top and top with the remaining vegetables and feta.
- Bake for 40 minutes until the filling has set.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Serve with a little black pepper and sprinkle with small lettuce leaves or herbs if desired.
Equipment and tools
- Brush for oil
- Knife for cutting vegetables
- Bowl for mixing ingredients
- Fork for beating eggs
- Zester for lemon peel
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- Milk (crème fraîche and feta cheese)
Please ensure that you or your guests do not have any allergies or intolerances to these ingredients.
Storage and leftovers
If there are any leftovers from the crispy filo pastry tart with seasonal vegetables, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. To reheat, place the tart in a preheated 350°F (180°C) oven for about 10 minutes or until heated through.
The crispy filo tart with seasonal vegetables is not only a delicious and filling dish, but also offers several health benefits due to its nutrient-rich ingredients. Let’s take a closer look at some of the key components:
Filo dough is a low-fat alternative to regular pastry and is therefore a healthier choice for this cake. It consists of very thin layers of dough, resulting in a light and crispy consistency. In addition, filo dough is low in cholesterol and contains little sodium, making it suitable for those who are concerned about their heart health.
Asparagus is a nutritional powerhouse. It is rich in vitamins A, C, E and K as well as folic acid and fiber. This vegetable is also a great source of antioxidants, which help protect our cells from free radical damage. Asparagus has been linked to various health benefits, including improved digestion, weight loss, and even a reduction in the risk of certain cancers.
Zucchini, also known as zucchini, is a versatile and nutritious vegetable. They are low in calories and have a high water content, making them a good choice for weight control or maintaining a healthy weight. Zucchini is rich in vitamins A and C, which support a healthy immune system, and provides a good amount of fiber, which aids digestion.
Eggs are an excellent source of protein and provide all the essential amino acids our bodies need. Protein is essential for several functions in our body, including building and repairing tissue, promoting muscle growth, and supporting a healthy immune system. Eggs are also rich in several vitamins and minerals such as vitamin B12, vitamin D and selenium.
Adding herbs such as parsley, mint or basil not only enhances the taste of the cake, but also brings numerous health benefits. Herbs are packed with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds that may help reduce the risk of chronic disease. In addition, they can aid digestion, improve brain function, and provide various vitamins and minerals.
Although crème fraîche is a rich and creamy ingredient, using it in moderation can still be part of a healthy diet. It gives the cake a spicy taste and a smooth texture. Crème fraîche is a good source of calcium, which ensures strong bones and teeth and also provides some vitamin A and vitamin D.
Feta cheese is a lower calorie and lower fat cheese option, making it a healthier choice compared to some other cheeses. It gives the cake a salty and spicy taste. Feta cheese contains calcium, protein and phosphorus, all of which are important for bone health. In addition, it is a good source of vitamin B12 and zinc.
Lettuce leaves or herbs
Adding a handful of small lettuce leaves or herbs such as chard or pea sprouts can provide additional nutritional benefits. This green is rich in vitamins and minerals such as vitamin K, vitamin A and iron. They also add a refreshing and lively touch to the dish and make it visually appealing.
Overall, the crispy filo cake with seasonal vegetables is not only a delicious treat, but also a nutritious meal. The combination of vegetables, eggs, herbs and cheese provides a wide range of essential nutrients that support overall health and well-being.