Are you looking for a healthier alternative to fast food? Look no further! These crispy chicken burgers with zesty lemon mayonnaise are the perfect choice for a home-cooked, delicious meal. By making this delicious dish at home, you can enjoy the taste and texture of a fried chicken burger without the guilt. With a crispy breading, tender chicken, and a tangy lemon mayo spread, this recipe is sure to satisfy your cravings for a delicious burger. Impress your taste buds with this low-fat option that guarantees both taste and nutritional value!
- 4 chicken breasts
- 3 slices of white bread, toasted
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Zest of 1 lemon, juice of ½
- 4 tbsp low-fat mayonnaise
- 4 ciabatta rolls, warm or toasted
Toasted breadcrumbs are a
clever shortcut to get
golden crumbs without frying.
- Heat the grill to the highest level.
- Place the chicken breasts between two pieces of plastic wrap and pound them with a rolling pin until they are about half their original thickness.
- In a food processor, beat the toast into coarse breadcrumbs and then transfer to a plate.
- Whisk egg and mustard in a bowl and season.
- Dip the chicken in the egg, allowing the excess to drip back into the bowl, then press it into the toasted breadcrumbs.
- Place under the broiler on a flat baking sheet and grill, turning once, until golden brown and crispy on both sides and the chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Beat the lemon zest, juice and lots of black pepper into the mayonnaise.
- Spread some mayonnaise on the bottom halves of the buns.
- Top with a chicken breast and a salad of your choice.
Equipment and tools
- grater or zester
- Spatula or tongs
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- Gluten (from bread and rolls)
Please ensure that these ingredients are safe for consumption based on your dietary restrictions.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers or want to make the chicken burgers in advance, you can store them properly to maintain their quality. Here are some tips:
- Cooled leftover chicken burgers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To reheat, preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Place the burgers on a baking sheet and heat for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
- Alternatively, you can also enjoy the chicken burgers cold in sandwiches or salads.
Health Benefits of Crispy Chicken Burgers with Lemon Mayonnaise
When it comes to a filling and tasty meal, Crisp Chicken Burgers with Lemon Mayo are a great choice. Not only are they full of delicious ingredients, but they also offer numerous health benefits. Let’s take a look at some of the nutritional benefits of this delicious recipe:
Chicken breast is the star of this dish and provides a good source of lean protein. Protein is essential for the growth and repair of tissue in our body. It helps build and maintain muscle mass, supports the production of enzymes and hormones, and supports a healthy immune system.
Reduced-fat mayonnaise is used in the lemon mayonnaise, which helps reduce the saturated fat content while still providing a creamy and tangy taste. Choosing low-fat options can have a positive impact on heart health because they help lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease as part of a balanced diet.
Vitamins and minerals
Incorporating lemon zest and juice into the recipe adds zesty freshness and provides a boost of vitamins and minerals. Lemons are an excellent source of vitamin C, known for its immune-boosting properties. In addition, they contain small amounts of other vitamins such as vitamin B6, vitamin A and minerals such as potassium and calcium.
Ciabatta rolls, whether warm or toasted, provide a hearty base for these chicken burgers. When made from whole wheat flour, they provide more fiber and nutrients compared to white bread. Whole grains have been linked to a reduced risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes and certain cancers.
This recipe uses toasted breadcrumbs as a clever shortcut to get golden breadcrumbs without deep-frying. Toasting the breadcrumbs creates a crunchy texture and adds flavor to the bread without the need for excess oil. This technique reduces the overall fat content, allowing for a healthier choice while still enjoying the satisfying crunch.