Introducing our delicious recipe for crispy chicken and apple coleslaw – a healthier twist on the classic! Enjoy the irresistible taste of breaded chicken without worrying about excess fat, as our oven-baked version makes for a guilt-free feast. Accompanied by a delicious mix of fresh and crunchy vegetables, this dish guarantees a filling meal that won’t ruin your diet. Treat yourself to the perfect combination of crunchy textures and savory flavors while staying true to your health goals. Try our Crispy Chicken & Apple Slaw tonight and discover a new, healthier favorite!
- ½ white cabbage, chopped
- ½ small onion, finely chopped
- 4 celery sticks, sliced
- 2 Granny Smith apples, quartered, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 200g fat-free Greek yogurt
- 2 cooked chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 100g dried garlic and herb breadcrumbs
- 4 frozen ears of corn
- Barbecue sauce for serving
- Mix the ingredients for the coleslaw with some spices and then set aside.
- This can be made up to a day in advance and refrigerated.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, then cook the corn cobs until tender and cooked through, 8-10 minutes.
- Heat the grill to high.
- Divide the flour, egg and breadcrumbs onto separate plates.
- Dredge the chicken in the flour, then in the egg and then in the breadcrumbs.
- Place the chicken on a baking sheet and grill for 2 minutes on each side or until crispy and cooked through.
- Serve the crispy chicken with the coleslaw and corn on the cob.
- Have a bowl of barbecue sauce ready for dunking.
Equipment and tools
For this recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Chopper or knife for chopping the cabbage
- Use a knife to finely chop the onion and celery
- Using an apple corer and a knife, quarter the apples and cut them into thin slices
- Measuring spoon for measuring the white wine vinegar
- Mixing bowl for mixing yogurt and vinegar
- Knife to cut the cooked chicken breasts into thin slices
- Bowl for the beaten egg
- Bowl for the flour
- Bowl for the garlic and dried herb breadcrumbs
- Baking tray for serving the breaded chicken slices
- Grill or griddle to cook the breaded chicken slices
- Pot or pan for cooking the corn on the cob
- Barbecue sauce for serving
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- Wheat (in flour and breadcrumbs)
- Dairy products (in Greek yogurt)
Before consuming this dish, please make sure that you or your guests are not allergic to any of these ingredients.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. The chicken may lose its crispiness when refrigerated, but you can reheat it in the oven for a few minutes to regain some of its texture. The apple salad can be enjoyed cold, straight from the fridge.
Health Benefits of Crispy Chicken and Apple Salad
When it comes to combining taste and nutrition, the Crispy Chicken & Apple Slaw recipe is a winner. Packed with a variety of ingredients, this dish offers numerous health benefits that contribute to your overall well-being. From crunchy cabbage to protein-packed chicken, here’s why you should consider adding this delicious meal to your regular diet:
1. White cabbage
Half a white cabbage is chopped up and used as a base for the coleslaw. Cabbage is known for its high fiber content, which aids digestion and helps maintain a healthy weight. It is also rich in vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant that supports immune function and collagen production. Additionally, cabbage is low in calories and has a high water content, making it a good choice for weight management.
A small onion is cut into thin slices and added to the coleslaw. Onions contain compounds with potential health benefits, including antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. They are also a good source of vitamin C, vitamin B6 and fiber. Including onions in your diet can help reduce the risk of certain chronic diseases and promote heart health.
Four celery stalks are sliced and incorporated into the coleslaw. Celery is a low-calorie vegetable that adds crunch and freshness to the dish. It is known for its high water content, which can contribute to hydration and promote a feeling of satiety. Celery is also a source of important nutrients, including potassium, folic acid and vitamin K.
4. Granny Smith apples
Two Granny Smith apples are quartered, cored and thinly sliced to add a sweet and tangy flavor to the slaw. Apples are high in fiber, especially a soluble fiber called pectin. This fiber can help regulate blood sugar levels, support healthy digestion, and promote satiety. Apples also contain antioxidants and vitamin C, which have positive effects on overall health.
A tablespoon of white wine vinegar is mixed with a 200g cup of fat-free Greek yogurt to create a creamy dressing for the coleslaw. Greek yogurt is a great source of protein, calcium and probiotics, which can help maintain healthy gut flora. It’s also a good alternative to high-fat dressings, offering a lighter option without sacrificing flavor.
The recipe includes two cooked chicken breasts, thinly sliced and coated in a crispy breading. Chicken is an excellent source of lean protein, which is essential for muscle growth and repair. It also provides important nutrients such as iron, selenium and B vitamins. Choosing lean cuts of skinless chicken can help you reduce your saturated fat intake.
7. Corn on the cob
The meal is complemented with four frozen ears of corn. Corn is a good source of fiber, vitamins and minerals. It contains antioxidants that contribute to eye health and may protect against certain chronic diseases. If you include corn in your diet, you can meet your daily fiber needs and add variety to your meals.
8. Barbecue sauce
Finally, the dish is served with barbecue sauce, which provides a spicy and spicy accompaniment. While barbecue sauce adds flavor to the dish, its higher sugar and sodium content makes it important to consume it in moderation. Opting for a reduced-sugar or homemade option can help achieve a healthier balance.
In summary, the Crispy Chicken & Apple Slaw recipe offers a number of health benefits. From fiber-rich cabbage and apples to protein-packed chicken and gut-friendly yogurt, this dish is a nutritious and delicious addition to your diet. Serve with corn on the cob for added nutrition and barbecue sauce in moderation for added flavor. Enjoy this healthy meal that nourishes your body and delights your taste buds.