This recipe for Crusty Cheddar Pies is not only delicious, but also incredibly convenient. It’s made specifically for prep and freezing, making it perfect for busy families. With a delicious combination of cheese and mashed potatoes as a topping, you won’t be able to resist this savory treat. But what really sets these pies apart is the addition of hidden broccoli, leeks, and celery, which add a touch of freshness and nutritious flavor. So treat yourself to these family-friendly batch pies that are sure to satisfy any cravings!
- 500g thin young leek, cut into thick slices
- 300g broccoli, cut into small florets
- 3 celery stalks, stemmed and sliced
- 1½ kg floury potatoes, e.g. B. King Edward, cut into equal pieces
- 85g butter
- 170g cup 0% fat Greek yogurt
- 850 ml semi-skimmed milk
- 75g flour
- 2 tsp English mustard
- 1 tsp whole grain mustard
- 300g pack of mature cheddar, finely grated
- a handful of frozen peas
If you want to cook this dish immediately. Place in the preheated oven for 25 minutes instead of freezing.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil.
- Place leeks, broccoli and celery in a large steamer.
- Add the potatoes to the water and cook for 20 minutes while the vegetables steam on top until everything is soft.
- Drain the potatoes, then mash them with plenty of spices, 25 g butter and all the yoghurt.
- While the vegetables are cooking, pour the milk into a saucepan, add the flour, both types of mustard and the remaining butter and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until a smooth, thickened mixture forms.
- Stir in half of the cheese and season. Remove from heat.
- Divide the steamed vegetables and peas between 8 individual cake pans.
- Pour the sauce over the top and top with the puree, then sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Pack in freezer bags and use within 3 months.
- To serve, unpack the dishes and place them on a baking tray in the cold oven, then set to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes until bubbly and hot throughout.
Equipment and tools
For this recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- baking pan
- mixing bowl
- measuring spoon
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- Cheese (mature cheddar)
- Dairy products (butter, Greek yogurt, milk)
- Wheat (plain flour)
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers or want to save the crispy cheddar pies, follow these guidelines:
- Allow cakes to cool completely before storing.
- Place remaining cakes in an airtight container.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To reheat, place pies in a preheated 350°F (180°C) oven for 15-20 minutes or until heated through.
Health Benefits of Crispy Cheddar Pies
In addition to being a delicious comfort food, crispy cheddar pies also have several health benefits. Made from healthy ingredients, this dish provides a variety of nutrients that have a positive effect on your overall well-being. Let’s take a closer look at the health benefits of some of the key ingredients used in this recipe.
Slender young leek:
Leeks are a great source of fiber, which aids digestion and helps maintain a healthy gut. They also contain antioxidants with anti-inflammatory properties that promote heart health and reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
Broccoli is a nutritional powerhouse. It is packed with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants that contribute to a strong immune system. It is particularly rich in vitamin C, which stimulates collagen production and strengthens the body’s natural defenses.
Celery is low in calories but rich in essential nutrients. It is a good source of fiber, promotes satiety and helps with weight control. Celery also contains antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds that support heart health and may help lower blood pressure.
Floury potatoes like the King Edward variety are rich in vitamins and minerals. They are a good source of potassium, which is essential for maintaining healthy blood pressure. Potatoes also provide energy in the form of carbohydrates and, when consumed in moderation, can be part of a balanced diet.
Greek yogurt is a nutritious addition to this recipe. It is rich in proteins that provide satiety and support muscle growth and repair. Greek yogurt also contains beneficial bacteria called probiotics, which promote a healthy gut and aid digestion.
Cheddar cheese gives these cakes a rich and savory flavor. Although it is high in saturated fat and should be consumed in moderation, it also provides important nutrients such as calcium and phosphorus, which are important for maintaining strong bones and teeth.
These are just a few of the health benefits you can enjoy when you enjoy crispy cheddar pies. Remember to consume this dish in moderation as part of a balanced diet to reap its nutritional benefits.
If you want to make this dish right away, place it in the preheated oven for 25 minutes instead of freezing it.