This delicious Crispy Baked Potatoes with Scallions recipe contains pork and is intended exclusively for non-Muslims. Take your taste buds on a journey as you perfect the art of frying these potatoes, resulting in a fluffy interior and a pleasantly crispy skin. To enhance the flavor even further, serve with a dollop of tangy sour cream. This dish not only keeps you warm in winter, but also provides a healthy option for your meals. Enjoy the wonderful combination of textures and flavors!
- 1½ kg small Desirée potatoes
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, plus some for drizzling
- 6 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaf
- 2 tbsp salad cream
- 4 tbsp sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 140°C/120°C fan/gas 1. Bake the potatoes for 2 hours, until they are soft in the middle (along with the pork, this is fine).
- Toss the potatoes with the olive oil, most of the spring onions, thyme and plenty of spices in a slightly undersized roasting pan. Use the back of a fish slice or similar to mash the potatoes into a flat, compact cake. Refrigerate until ready to eat, up to a day.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7 (when the pork comes out). Drizzle the potatoes with a little more oil and roast for 30-40 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
- Mix the salad cream and sour cream and drizzle over the potatoes.
- Scatter the remaining spring onions and other spices over the potatoes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Equipment and tools
- cutting board
- mixing bowl
This recipe contains the following allergens:
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply place the potatoes in a preheated oven at 180°C for about 10 minutes or until heated through. Enjoy!
Health Benefits of Crispy Baked Potatoes with Green Onions
Potatoes are a versatile and popular ingredient in many culinary dishes. Combined with green onions, these crispy baked potatoes not only make a delicious side dish, but also offer several health benefits. Let’s explore some of the nutritional benefits of this delicious recipe.
1. Excellent source of vitamins and minerals
The small Desirée potatoes used in this recipe provide a wealth of essential nutrients. These potatoes are full of vitamins like vitamin C and B vitamins like niacin, pyridoxine and folic acid. They also provide minerals such as potassium and magnesium, which are necessary for maintaining proper body functions.
2. Promotes digestive health
Olive oil, a key ingredient in this recipe, is known for its potential to support digestive health. It contains monounsaturated fats, which can prevent constipation and promote the smooth movement of food through the digestive system. Additionally, olive oil has anti-inflammatory properties that can reduce the risk of digestive disorders.
3. Rich in antioxidants
Scallions add flavor to these baked potatoes while adding to their health benefits. Green onions are a great source of antioxidants, especially flavonoids, which protect the body from harmful free radicals. Antioxidants can support the immune system, reduce inflammation, and potentially reduce the risk of chronic disease.
4. Increases energy levels
The combination of potatoes and olive oil in this recipe provides a good amount of carbohydrates and healthy fats that can help boost energy levels. Carbohydrates are the body’s main source of energy, while the healthy fats in olive oil can provide sustained energy without causing blood sugar spikes. This makes Crispy Baked Potatoes with Green Onions a great choice for a filling and energizing meal.
5. Supports skin health
Several components of this dish help maintain healthy skin. Vitamin C from potatoes promotes collagen production and thus contributes to the elasticity and youthful appearance of the skin. The healthy fats in olive oil help hydrate the skin from within, while the antioxidants in green onions protect against skin damage caused by free radicals.
6. Adds flavor with fewer calories
Instead of traditional toppings like butter or sour cream, this recipe recommends using salad cream and sour cream. These alternatives give the potatoes a creamy and tangy taste with fewer calories. This replacement can be beneficial for people who want to control their calorie intake while enjoying a satisfying meal.
Including crispy baked potatoes with green onions in your diet can provide numerous health benefits. From providing essential nutrients to supporting digestive health to boosting energy levels, this dish is as nutritious as it is delicious. Try making it as a side dish or even as a standalone meal and enjoy the benefit it brings to your overall well-being.