Get in the Halloween spirit with these spooky spider cakes! These delicious treats are perfect for Halloween parties and provide a creative and interactive activity for children. Whether it’s adding spooky eyes or making spooky webs, kids will have a lot of fun decorating their own spider-shaped cakes. Watch their faces light up as they bring their imaginative ideas to life and create edible masterpieces. With just the right amount of spooky and tons of fun, these spooky spider cakes are sure to be the highlight of any Halloween celebration!
- 200 g butter, room temperature
- 200g golden powdered sugar
- 200g self-raising flour
- 4 eggs
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons chocolate chips or chopped chocolate
- 2 packs of licorice Catherine wheels
- 12 tablespoons Nutella or other chocolate spread
- Liquorice of all kinds (the black ones with the white center)
- Tube of black writing glaze
- 1 long red shoelace
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4 and line a muffin tin with 12 cups, preferably brown ones.
- Place butter, sugar and flour in a mixing bowl.
- Crack the eggs into a smaller bowl, being careful not to get any shell in them, then add them to the butter mixture.
- Add baking powder and vanilla to the larger bowl.
- Beat the mixture with an electric hand mixer until smooth and creamy.
- Stir in chocolate drops or chocolate.
- Divide the cake mixture evenly into the molds.
- Bake until golden brown, 20-25 minutes.
- A cocktail skewer inserted into the center of one of the cakes should come out clean.
- Let the cakes cool on a wire rack.
- To decorate the cakes, untangle the licorice slices and cut them into pieces with scissors, creating dangling stems.
- Insert 8 licorice legs into the top of each cake and make small cuts with the tip of a sharp knife to fit them securely.
- Place the chocolate spread on top and spread it lightly into the licorice legs to create a round spider body.
- Cut out Allsorts candies to make eyes and use red shoelaces to make mouths.
- Glue the candies and laces onto the cakes and dab frosting on top to create eyeballs.
- The cakes will keep in a cool place for up to 2 days.
Equipment and tools
To bake scary spider cakes, the following devices and tools are needed:
- mixing bowl
- Electric mixer or whisk
- Spatula or wooden spoon
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Muffin tin
- Cupcake liners
- Wire cooling rack
- Sharp knife
- Pastry bag or plastic sandwich bag
The scary spider cake recipe contains the following allergens:
- Dairy products (butter, chocolate)
- Gluten (self-raising flour)
Please check the ingredient and nutritional information of the brands/products you use to ensure they are suitable for your dietary needs.
Storage and leftovers
Once baked and decorated, spooky spider cakes can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. If desired, you can store the cakes in the refrigerator for longer freshness; However, it is recommended to bring them back to room temperature before serving.
If you have leftovers, you can freeze the cakes. Place them in a freezer-safe container or bag and they can be stored in the freezer for up to 2 months. Thaw the cakes at room temperature before enjoying.
Health Benefits of “Spooky Spider Cakes”
Even though “Spooky Spider Cakes” sound tempting and Halloween-themed, they can still provide some health benefits when made with the right ingredients and in moderation.
1. Moderation and portion control
While cakes typically contain sugar and butter, eating them in moderation can be part of a balanced diet. Portion control is key to avoid excessive calorie intake. A small serving of Spooky Spider Cakes can satisfy your sweet cravings without compromising your overall health goals.
2. Nutritious alternatives
By incorporating nutritious ingredients into the recipe, you can boost the nutritional value of these Halloween treats. For example, replacing some of the self-raising flour with whole wheat flour adds fiber, vitamins and minerals. Additionally, using dark chocolate or high cocoa content chocolate provides antioxidants that may have various health benefits.
3. Nutella and chocolate spread
The recipe calls for Nutella or another chocolate spread, which can be a rich source of energy. While it’s important to consume such spreads in moderation due to their high sugar content, they also provide a small amount of protein and healthy fats. Look for spreads with minimal added sugar or consider making your own spreads at home to control the ingredients.
4. Liquorice Catherine Wheels
The addition of licorice Catherine wheels gives these cakes a spooky touch. Licorice itself has been linked to various health benefits. It can aid digestion, reduce inflammation, and may have anti-inflammatory properties. However, as with any candy or treat, moderation is important due to the sugar content.
5. Nourishing toppings
Decorating your Spooky Spider Cakes with licorice varieties and black icing can add extra visual interest while providing minimal health benefits. However, it is important to note that these toppings primarily contribute to the aesthetics of the cakes and not their nutritional value.
6. Personalized twists
If you want to make your Spooky Spider Cakes even healthier, consider personalizing the recipe. You can reduce the amount of added sugar by using natural sweeteners like mashed bananas or unsweetened applesauce. Experiment with adding crushed nuts or seeds to add more texture and nutrition to the dish.
Remember: While Spooky Spider Cakes can be a delicious and festive treat, it’s important to enjoy them as part of a balanced diet and in moderation. Incorporating healthier alternatives and ingredients can make them a guilt-free treat for Halloween celebrations.