This creamy cod chowder stew is a delicious flavor combination that will satisfy your cravings without adding unnecessary calories or fat to your meal. The addition of smoked haddock and cod gives this one-pot wonder a deep and rich flavor that will leave you wanting more.
But don’t let its decadent flavors fool you, because this soup stew is surprisingly low in fat and calories. It’s the perfect choice for a quick and easy weeknight dinner that won’t compromise your health goals. So why not enjoy a comforting bowl of this creamy goodness that will warm you from the inside out?
- 200g floury potatoes, diced
- 200g parsnips, diced
- 140g skinless cod fillet
- 140 g undyed, smoked haddock fillets without skin
- 500 ml semi-skimmed milk
- ¼ small pack of parsley, leaves finely chopped, stalks set aside
- 6 spring onions, separated from the white and green, both finely chopped
- 2 tbsp flour
- Zest and squeeze 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- crispy wholemeal bread for serving
- Bring a pot of salted water to the boil.
- Add potatoes and parsnips to the boiling water.
- Cook the potatoes and parsnips until almost tender, about 4 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and parsnips well.
- Place the fish in a pan that will comfortably accommodate it.
- Make sure the fish are not stacked on top of each other.
- Cover the fish with milk.
- Stick the parsley stalks into the milk.
- Let the milk simmer gently.
- Cover the pan and turn off the heat.
- Let the fish rest in the milk for 5 minutes.
- Remove the fish from the milk.
- Break the fish into large pieces.
- Discard the parsley stalks but reserve the milk.
- Mix the spring onion whites, milk and flour in a saucepan.
- Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Whisk constantly until the sauce thickens and becomes smooth.
- Reduce heat.
- Add the drained potatoes and parsnips to the pot.
- Add lemon zest and half the lemon juice to the mixture.
- Cook gently for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the spring onion greens, fish and parsley.
- Taste the mixture and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Add plenty of pepper, a little salt and possibly more lemon juice.
- Divide the chowder stew between two shallow bowls.
- Serve with pieces of crusty bread.
- Enjoy the creamy stew with cod soup!
Equipment and tools
- Big pot
- measuring cup
- measuring spoon
- wooden spoon
- Lemon peel
This recipe contains cod, haddock and milk.
Storage and leftovers
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Reheat the stew on the stove over low heat until warmed through.
Do not freeze the stew as the consistency of cod and haddock may become mushy when thawed.
Serve the stew with crusty whole wheat bread to enjoy the delicious flavors.
The Health Benefits of Creamy Cod Soup Stew
When it comes to comfort food, there’s little that can match the creamy goodness of a delicious chowder stew. This special creamy cod chowder stew recipe not only satisfies your taste buds but also offers several health benefits. Packed with nutritious ingredients, this stew is a delicious way to nourish your body. Let’s take a closer look at the health benefits each component offers:
The 200 g of floury potatoes in this soup stew form a soothing and filling base. Potatoes are an excellent source of vitamin C, potassium and fiber. They are also low in calories and fat, making them a healthy addition to your diet.
The 200g of diced parsnips contribute to the rich flavor of this stew. Parsnips are a great source of fiber, vitamin C and potassium. They also contain antioxidants and have anti-inflammatory properties that can help support overall health.
Cod fillet and smoked haddock:
This soup stew contains 140 g of skinless cod fillet and 140 g of undyed, smoked haddock fillet without skin. These fish are excellent sources of high-quality protein, low in fat and rich in essential nutrients such as omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin B12 and iodine. Omega-3 fatty acids have been linked to numerous health benefits, including reducing inflammation, promoting heart health and improving brain function.
The 500 ml of semi-skimmed milk used in this recipe gives the chowder stew a creamy and velvety texture. Milk is a good source of calcium, which is essential for strong bones and teeth. It also provides protein and vitamin D, which are important for overall health and well-being.
Both the leaves and stems of parsley are used for this soup stew. Parsley is a nutrient-dense herb rich in vitamins A, C and K. It also contains antioxidants and has anti-inflammatory properties. Including parsley in your diet can contribute to better digestion and improved immune function.
This recipe calls for both the white and green scallions. These onions add a mild and refreshing flavor to the chowder stew. Green onions are a good source of vitamin C, vitamin K and fiber. They also contain antioxidants and may have antimicrobial properties that can support a healthy immune system.
The zest and juice of a lemon give this stew a spicy and citrusy note. Lemons are rich in vitamin C and antioxidants, which can strengthen the immune system and fight off free radicals in the body.
Crunchy whole wheat bread:
This soup stew goes perfectly with crusty whole wheat bread. Whole wheat bread contains more fiber and nutrients compared to refined white bread. It promotes better digestion, provides sustained energy and contributes to an overall healthier diet.
By incorporating these healthy ingredients into a creamy cod chowder stew, you’ll not only delight your taste buds, but also provide your body with essential nutrients, vitamins and minerals. Remember: food can be both delicious and good for you!