Treat yourself to the luxurious taste of our creamy mushroom soup, made with a delicious combination of porcini and wild mushrooms. This exquisite recipe offers the perfect solution for chilly evenings when you crave a filling yet light meal. Its velvety texture and rich flavor make it an irresistible option. For even more crunch and a delicious touch, combine this sensational soup with crunchy croutons and a sprinkle of fresh chives. Discover warmth and comfort in every spoon!
- 25g dried porcini mushrooms (porcini mushrooms)
- 50g butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- Thyme sprigs
- 400 g mixed wild mushrooms
- 850 ml vegetable broth
- 200 ml can of crème fraîche
- 4 slices of white bread, approx. 100 g, diced
- Chives and truffle oil for serving
Why not try?
Mixed wild mushrooms are deliciously seasoned and fried in olive oil or butter, then piled on buttered toast and topped with a poached egg.
Preparation steps – Creamy mushroom soup
- Bring a kettle to the boil.
- Pour the boiling water over the dried porcini mushrooms just enough to cover them.
- Heat half of the butter in a saucepan.
- Lightly fry the onion, garlic and thyme in the butter for 5 minutes, until soft and beginning to brown.
- Drain the porcini mushrooms, but be sure to reserve the juice.
- Add the drained porcini mushrooms to the pot with the onion mixture.
- Also add the mixed wild mushrooms to the pot.
- Let the mixture cook for 5 minutes until the mushrooms become limp.
- Pour the broth and reserved porcini mushroom juice into the pot.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir the crème fraîche into the soup and simmer for a few more minutes.
- Using a hand blender or blender, puree the soup until smooth.
- Strain the soup through a fine sieve to remove any lumps or pieces.
- Set the soup aside for now.
- Heat the remaining butter in a frying pan.
- Fry the bread cubes in the butter until they turn golden brown.
- Drain the fried bread cubes on paper towels to remove excess oil.
- To serve, heat the soup and froth it with a hand blender if necessary.
- Pour the creamy mushroom soup into bowls.
- Scatter the crispy croutons and chives over the soup.
- For added flavor, drizzle the soup with truffle oil.
Equipment and tools
For this recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- frying pan
- wooden spoon
- Blender or hand blender
This creamy mushroom soup contains the following allergens:
- Dairy products: These include butter and crème fraîche.
- Gluten: The soup is served with sliced white bread.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers or want to save the creamy mushroom soup for later use, follow these guidelines:
- Allow the soup to cool completely.
- Place the soup in an airtight container.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To reheat, simply heat desired amount in a saucepan over medium heat until hot.
Health Benefits of Creamy Mushroom Soup
Creamy mushroom soup not only satisfies your taste buds with its rich and comforting flavor but also comes with several health benefits. Packed with nutritious ingredients, this soup can be an excellent addition to your diet. Let’s examine the health benefits of each ingredient and how they contribute to overall well-being:
1. Dried porcini mushrooms (ceps)
Dried porcini mushrooms are a concentrated source of nutrients. They are a good source of fiber, protein, iron and vitamin C. These mushrooms have been found to have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that can support a healthy immune system.
Although butter is high in saturated fat, it can provide small amounts of fat-soluble vitamins such as vitamins A, E, K and D. In addition, it adds a richer flavor to the soup and improves its taste and texture.
3. Onion and garlic
Both onions and garlic are known for their powerful medicinal properties. They contain various antioxidants and compounds that may help reduce inflammation, support the immune system, and improve heart health.
4. Thyme sprigs
Thyme is an herb that has been used for centuries for its potential health benefits. It contains vitamins A and C as well as several antioxidants. Thyme may have antimicrobial properties and support respiratory health.
5. Mixed wild mushrooms
Mixed wild mushrooms add flavor and texture to the soup while providing a range of nutrients. They are low in calories, fat-free and a good source of fiber, vitamins and minerals. Mushrooms also contain beneficial compounds, including beta-glucans, which may help boost immune function.
6. Vegetable broth
Using vegetable broth as a base gives the soup additional vitamins and minerals. It is also a tasty alternative to traditional meat broths for those on a vegetarian or vegan diet.
7. Creme fraîche
Crème fraîche, a French-style sour cream, gives the soup a creamy and tangy note. Although it is high in fat and calories, it provides small amounts of calcium, phosphorus and vitamin A.
8. White bread
Adding white bread to the soup gives the soup texture and consistency. Although white bread is not the most nutritious option, it can be enjoyed in moderation as part of a balanced diet.
9. Chives and truffle oil
Chives are an excellent source of vitamins A and K and antioxidants. Truffle oil gives the soup a distinct and luxurious flavor, but should be used sparingly due to its high calorie content.
Overall, this creamy mushroom soup is a delicious and nutritious dish that can provide various health benefits. With a selection of mushrooms, herbs and nutritious ingredients, it can be a great addition to a balanced diet.
Why not try? Mixed wild mushrooms are deliciously seasoned and fried in olive oil or butter, then piled on buttered toast and topped with a poached egg.