Treat yourself to the delicious creamy celery gratin that puts the spotlight on the versatile celery sticks. This delicious side dish consists of an aromatic sauce infused with the perfect combination of wine and broth, resulting in an irresistibly intense flavor. The gratin is then beautifully topped with nutty breadcrumbs, giving it a wonderful texture and delicious crunch that will leave your taste buds begging for more. Treat yourself and your guests to this delicious dish that is sure to impress!
- 2 celery heads, cleaned
- 50g butter
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 100g breadcrumbs
- 50g walnuts, roughly chopped
- 75 ml white wine
- 250 ml vegetable or chicken stock
- 100 ml cream
- 25g grated Parmesan (or vegetarian alternative)
You can cook the celery and nut crumbs daily
Then continue to step 3 on the day.
- Halve thick celery stalks, cut everything into thumb-sized pieces, then wash and leave wet.
- Melt half the butter in a large skillet, then add celery, onion and bay leaves.
- Season the mixture, cover and cook over medium heat for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent the onions from sticking.
- Meanwhile, prepare the breadcrumbs by melting the remaining butter in a separate pan.
- Add breadcrumbs and walnuts, stirring frequently until lightly golden brown and toasted. Put aside.
- Heat the grill to medium heat.
- When the celery is soft, increase the heat and add the wine and stock.
- Reduce the wine and broth mixture by two thirds.
- Pour in the cream and reduce for a few more minutes until a syrupy sauce forms.
- Check the seasoning of the sauce.
- Place the celery mixture in an ovenproof dish.
- Sprinkle the dish with the prepared breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese.
- Grill the dish for 2-3 minutes until the sauce begins to bubble.
- Let the dish rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Equipment and tools
For this recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- cutting knife or vegetable peeler
- Oven-safe dishes
- frying pan
- wooden spoon
This recipe may contain the following allergens:
- butter (milk)
- Double cream (milk)
- Grated Parmesan (or vegetarian alternative) (milk)
Please ensure that you or your guests do not have any allergies or dietary restrictions related to these ingredients.
Storage and leftovers
If there are any leftovers of the creamy celery gratin, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. When reheating, make sure to heat it thoroughly until it is piping hot.
Alternatively, you can freeze the gratin for up to 2 months. Allow to cool completely before transferring to a freezer-safe container. When ready to eat, thaw in the refrigerator overnight and then reheat in the oven until warmed through.
Health Benefits of Creamy Celery Gratin
Celery is often overlooked as a vegetable, but it offers numerous health benefits. When combined with other nutritious ingredients to create a creamy gratin, it becomes a delicious and nutritious dish. Here are some of the health benefits of enjoying a serving of creamy celery gratin:
1. Nutrient Rich:
Celery is an excellent source of vitamins and minerals. It is rich in vitamin K, which plays a crucial role in blood clotting and bone health. It also contains vitamin C, which supports the immune system and collagen production. Additionally, celery contains folic acid, potassium, and fiber, all of which are essential for maintaining overall health.
2. Antioxidant properties:
Celery contains various antioxidants including flavonoids, vitamin C and beta-carotene. These antioxidants help fight the harmful effects of free radicals in the body, protect cells from oxidative stress, and reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease and certain cancers.
3. Digestive Health:
The high fiber content in celery can promote a healthy digestive system. Fiber gives stool volume, prevents constipation and promotes regular bowel movements. Additionally, celery contains a compound called apiuman, which may help reduce the risk of stomach ulcers and protect the stomach lining.
4. Heart Healthy:
The combination of celery, walnuts, and white wine in this gratin recipe provides heart-healthy benefits. Celery contains compounds that may help lower blood pressure, while walnuts are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which have been shown to reduce the risk of heart disease. Moderate consumption of white wine has also been linked to a reduced risk of heart disease.
5. Vegetarian Friendly and Adaptable:
This celery gratin recipe is easily adaptable to a vegetarian diet. Simply use vegetarian broth and parmesan alternatives to suit different dietary preferences. It allows vegetarians to enjoy a creamy and satisfying dish without compromising on their diet.
By incorporating this creamy celery gratin into your meals, you can enjoy a delicious dish while reaping the many health benefits of the ingredients. From supporting heart health to promoting digestive well-being, this gratin is a versatile and nutritious addition to any menu.
Note: You can cook the celery and nut crumbs a day in advance and then proceed to Step 3 the day before.