Treat your taste buds to this delicious recipe for a creamy apple cider sausage braise with apples and mash.
Prepare for a flavor explosion when you pan-fry juicy apples and onions in cider, adding a refreshing twist to the traditional sausage and mash dish. For even more enjoyment, crème fraîche is added to this recipe, resulting in a deliciously creamy consistency that will leave you wanting more.
Satisfy your cravings with this irresistible dish that combines the sweetness of apples, the richness of sausages and the smoothness of porridge. It’s a combination that will delight your senses and leave you wanting for seconds.
- 500g Maris Piper or King Edward potatoes, peeled and cut into pieces
- 4 tbsp crème fraîche
- piece of butter
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- 2 apples, cored and cut into 12 wedges each
- 8 sausages
- 1 onion, sliced
- 500 ml semi-dry apple cider
- 1 tbsp English mustard
- Place the potatoes in a large pot, cover with water and bring to the boil.
- Cook potatoes for 15-20 minutes until tender.
- Drain the potatoes and mash them with 2 tablespoons of crème fraîche.
- Season the mashed potatoes to taste.
- While the potatoes are cooking, heat the butter and oil in a large skillet with a lid.
- Add the apple slices to the pan and fry for about 2 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Remove the apple slices from the pan and set them aside with a slotted spoon.
- Add the sausages and onion to the pan and cook for 6-7 minutes, turning the sausages to brown evenly and stirring the onion to prevent it from catching.
- Add the apple cider and bring to the boil.
- Cover the pan and cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the mustard, the remaining crème fraîche and the cooked apple slices.
- Season the mixture to taste.
- Serve the creamy apple cider sausage braise with the mashed potatoes.
Equipment and tools
- frying pan
- Spatula or wooden spoon
- Big pot
- Potato masher or fork
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- Dairy products (crème fraîche and butter)
- Sausages may contain allergens such as gluten or soy. You can find specific information on the packaging.
Storage and leftovers
This dish can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Warm up thoroughly before consumption.
If there are any leftovers, they can be enjoyed the next day or frozen for later use. Simply defrost and reheat before serving.
Health Benefits of Creamy Apple Cider and Sausage Stew with Apples and Mash
Creamy Apple Cider Sausage Pot Roast with Apples and Mash recipe not only satisfies your taste buds but also offers several health benefits. Let’s take a closer look at the nutritional properties of its main ingredients:
This recipe uses Maris Piper or King Edward potatoes to create a velvety smooth mash. Potatoes are rich in complex carbohydrates that provide sustained energy. They also contain fiber, which is essential for a healthy digestive system, as well as important nutrients such as potassium and vitamin C.
Crème fraîche is a thick, creamy dairy product that adds a rich flavor to the dish. Although high in fat, it also contains beneficial probiotics that support gut health. In addition, it contains small amounts of calcium and vitamin B12, which are essential for strong bones and proper nerve function.
Used in moderation, olive oil provides healthy monounsaturated fats that promote heart health. It is also a source of antioxidants such as vitamin E, which protect the body from oxidative stress and inflammation.
The apples in this recipe add a touch of sweetness and provide several health benefits. Apples are a great source of fiber, especially soluble fiber known as pectin. This type of fiber can help regulate digestion and support heart health. Apples also contain antioxidants and vitamin C, which contribute to a strong immune system.
Sausages are a good source of protein and provide essential amino acids necessary for various body functions. However, it is important to choose high-quality sausages with a low fat content so that the dish remains nutritious. Leaner options can provide protein while keeping saturated fat and calorie intake under control.
Using onions in this recipe not only adds flavor but also provides health benefits. Onions contain antioxidants, particularly quercetin, which may help reduce inflammation and lower the risk of chronic disease. They also provide a variety of vitamins and minerals, including vitamin C, vitamin B6 and folic acid.
Semi-dry apple cider adds a unique depth of flavor to the braise. Apple cider, enjoyed in moderation, offers potential health benefits similar to those of apples because it is made from fermented apple juice. It contains polyphenols and antioxidants that contribute to heart health and may protect against certain diseases.
The use of English mustard gives the dish a spicy touch. Mustard is low in calories and fat while providing a range of nutrients, including vitamins A, C and K, as well as minerals such as calcium and iron.
By incorporating these ingredients into your Creamy Apple Cider and Sausage Stew with Apples and Mash, you will not only enjoy a delicious meal, but also promote your overall health and well-being.