Add some seasonal spirit to your chickpea bites with fruits and nuts. These delicious cranberry chestnut falafel are the perfect addition to any festive spread. The acidity of the cranberries and the earthy note of the chestnut create a wonderful balance of flavors. Serve them alongside a creamy yogurt dip to enhance their creaminess and freshness. For an extra flavor kick, add a pinch of fresh coriander on top. These falafels are a delicious treat that are sure to impress your guests this holiday season.
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into large pieces
- 400 g canned chickpeas, drained
- 200g fully cooked, vacuum packed chestnuts
- 1 large egg
- ½ tsp chili flakes
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 clove of garlic
- small packet of cilantro, coarsely chopped, plus extra for serving
- 85g cranberries, thawed if frozen and halved if you have time
- 4 tbsp vegetable or sunflower oil
- 150g creamy Greek-style yogurt to serve
- Place the sweet potato in a microwave-safe bowl, add 1 teaspoon water and cook on high for 2 minutes.
- Mash the sweet potato in a large bowl.
- Place the chickpeas and chestnuts in a food processor and pulse until well chopped but not pasty.
- Add the chickpeas and chestnuts to the sweet potato puree.
- Add egg, spices, garlic and coriander to the bowl.
- Season the mixture generously and mix well with your hands.
- Add the cranberries to the mixture.
- Form the mixture into spoon-sized balls, making about 20 patties.
- Can be made in advance and refrigerated for up to 3 days.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large non-stick frying pan.
- Fry half of the falafel for 2 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Remove the cooked falafels to paper towels to drain.
- Repeat the frying process with the second batch of falafel.
- Can be prepared and reheated up to 2 days in advance.
- Allow the falafel to cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Serve the falafel with yogurt and a pinch of coriander.
Equipment and tools
- Blender or food processor
- mixing bowl
- frying pan
- Spatula or cooking utensil
This recipe contains nuts (chestnuts) and dairy (Greek-style yogurt). Please note whether you have any allergies or dietary restrictions.
Storage and leftovers
Leftover falafel can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in a preheated oven at 180°C (350°F) for 10-15 minutes or until heated through. Serve with yogurt and additional chopped coriander if desired.
Health Benefits of Cranberry and Chestnut Falafel
The cranberry chestnut falafel not only offers a delicious dining experience but also offers several health benefits. This unique combination of ingredients provides a nutrient-rich effect, making it a great addition to any balanced diet.
The falafel base includes sweet potatoes, which are rich in fiber, vitamins A and C, and antioxidants. These nutrients support a healthy immune system, promote skin health and contribute to overall well-being.
Chickpeas, the main source of protein in these falafels, offer a number of health benefits. They are an excellent source of plant protein, fiber and complex carbohydrates. These properties can help regulate blood sugar levels, support digestive health, and aid in weight control.
The addition of chestnuts gives the falafel a unique nutty flavor while providing various health benefits. Chestnuts are low in fat and contain important minerals such as potassium, magnesium and copper. They are also a good source of vitamins B and C, which are important for energy production and immune function.
Using chili flakes gives the falafel a pleasant spice and can provide several health benefits. Chili flakes contain a compound called capsaicin, which may help reduce inflammation, boost metabolism, and help relieve pain.
Cumin seeds not only improve the flavor of the falafel, but also provide potential health benefits. They are a rich source of antioxidants and have been linked to improved digestion, lower cholesterol and increased weight loss.
Garlic contributes not only to the unique taste but also to the potential health benefits of falafel. Known for its antimicrobial properties, it can help boost the immune system, lower blood pressure and improve heart health.
The addition of coriander gives the falafel freshness and additional nutritional value. Coriander is rich in vitamins A, C and K as well as minerals such as iron and manganese. It may aid digestion, promote bone health, and provide antioxidant protection.
Cranberries add a touch of tartness and numerous health benefits to falafel. They are packed with antioxidants, vitamins C and E, and fiber. Cranberries are associated with urinary tract health, improved immune function, and possible anti-inflammatory effects.
While adding oil is necessary when cooking, it is important to consume it in moderation as part of a balanced diet. Vegetable or sunflower oil can provide essential fatty acids and promote the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins.
Greek style yogurt
Greek-style yogurt serves as a creamy and nutritious accompaniment to cranberry chestnut falafel. It is a great source of calcium, protein and probiotics that support gut health and contribute to healthy bones and muscles.
Combine these healthy ingredients and you get a delicious and nutritious meal that meets both taste and well-being. Enjoy the cranberry chestnut falafel and reap the benefits it offers!