Treat yourself to the exquisite flavors of our delicious crab lasagne recipe – a delicious combination of succulent crab meat, tender cod and aromatic leeks. This creamy pasta bake is the perfect dish to impress your guests, and the best part is that it can be made in advance and stored in the freezer, making it effortless to bake for any special occasion. Each bite offers a heavenly blend of rich seafood flavors layered between delicious pasta sheets. Prepare to delight your taste buds with this practical and sensational dish!
- 600 ml milk
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 85g butter, plus a little butter for greasing
- 50g plain flour
- 8 oz pot of double cream
- 100g Parmesan, grated
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 x 100g cups of brown and white crab meat
- 2 x 500g packs of leeks, cleaned, washed well and cut into fine slices
- 12 sheets of fresh lasagna
- 400g skinless cod fillet, diced
- Mix milk, nutmeg, 50 g butter and flour in a non-stick pan.
- Heat the mixture, stirring or stirring, until it thickens.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the cream and season generously.
- Measure out 450 ml of the sauce, add half of the Parmesan and the egg and mix well.
- Once cooled, stir the crab meat into the remaining sauce.
- In a large skillet or wok, melt the remaining butter.
- Add the leeks and cook, stirring frequently, until softened and cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Lightly grease 2 x 20cm square ovenproof tins.
- If necessary, cut the lasagne sheets to suit the dishes.
- Place a quarter of the leeks in each bowl and distribute evenly.
- Top each dish with 2 lasagne sheets.
- Cover the lasagna sheets with the crab mixture and spread over the fish pieces.
- Place another 2 lasagna sheets on top.
- Cover with the remaining leeks and the last sheet of lasagne.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the lasagna sheets and then add the remaining Parmesan.
- To freeze the dishes, wrap them in several layers of cling film and then in foil. Use within 2 months.
- To defrost, place the dishes in the refrigerator overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4.
- Unwrap the lasagna and bake for 40 minutes.
- Baking a freshly prepared version takes just as long.
- Serve the crab lasagne with a side salad.
Equipment and tools
For this recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- baking pan
- Big pot
- wooden spoon
- Sharp knife
This crab lasagna recipe contains the following allergens:
- Seafood (crabs and cod)
Storage and leftovers
Store any leftover crab lasagna in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It is best consumed within 2-3 days. Heat the lasagna in a preheated oven at 350°F (180°C) for about 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
The Health Benefits of Crab Lasagna
Not only is crab lasagna a delicious and indulgent dish, but it also comes with several health benefits. Packed with nutritious ingredients, this recipe can be a fantastic addition to your diet.
1. Rich in protein
The chunky, skinless cod fillet used in crab lasagna is an excellent source of lean protein. Protein is an essential nutrient that plays a critical role in repairing tissue, supporting the immune system, and building strong muscles. Including protein in your diet can also help you feel fuller for longer and aid in weight management.
2. Omega-3 fatty acids
Both crab meat and cod are rich sources of omega-3 fatty acids. These healthy fats have numerous benefits including reducing inflammation, improving heart health, and improving brain function. Omega-3 fatty acids are considered essential because our body cannot produce them itself. Therefore, it is important to include them in our diet.
3. Nutrient-rich leeks
The recipe includes sliced leeks, which give the dish a delicious flavor and texture. Leeks are rich in essential vitamins and minerals, including vitamin K, vitamin C and folic acid. They also contain antioxidants that help protect against chronic diseases and support a healthy immune system.
4. Calcium and Vitamin D
The recipe uses milk, butter, cream and parmesan cheese, which provide a good amount of calcium and vitamin D. Calcium is crucial for maintaining strong bones and teeth, while vitamin D helps the body absorb calcium and supports overall bone health.
5. Fiber from whole grain lasagna
By using whole grain lasagna sheets, this recipe adds a healthy dose of fiber to your meal. Fiber supports digestion, promotes satiety and helps regulate blood sugar levels. It also contributes to cardiovascular health by lowering cholesterol and promoting a healthy gut.
Whether you enjoy crab lasagna as a special treat or as part of a balanced diet, it’s clear that this tasty dish can provide several health benefits. It contains protein, omega-3 fatty acids, essential vitamins and minerals, and fiber, making it a healthy choice for seafood lovers.