Ditch the takeout menu and make these easy snacks at home. Treat yourself to a delicious combination of succulent crabs and sweet corn transformed into delicious cakes that are perfect for any occasion. Served alongside a tempting chili dipping sauce, these delicious treats provide a spicy kick that will leave your taste buds wanting more. Whether you’re hosting a casual gathering or just in the mood for a tasty snack, these crab and corn cakes are a must-try. With minimal effort, impress your guests with this homemade delicacy that will satisfy both seafood and spice lovers with one bite.
- 1 egg
- 4 tbsp flour
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander stems (use the leaves for the main course)
- 340g can sweetcorn, well drained (I use Green Giant Original)
- 170g canned white crab meat, well drained and flaked
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- Sunflower or vegetable oil for frying
- 4 tbsp sweet chili sauce
- Juice ½ lime
- ½ finger-length piece of cucumber, seeds scraped out, pulp finely chopped
Crab and Spring
the last minute,
Mix the crabs
and the corn
put into the dough.
- In a food processor, combine the egg, flour, garlic and coriander stalks with a third of the corn. Mix until a smooth paste forms.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the paste with the remaining corn, shrimp and half of the green onions and season with salt and pepper.
- In another bowl, stir together the dipping sauce ingredients.
- Prepare a tray by covering it with paper towels.
- Heat 5 cm of oil in a large, heavy pot. Test if the oil is ready by dropping a cube of bread into it – it should brown in 30-40 seconds.
- Add tablespoons of the corn mixture to the hot oil and fry, turning occasionally, until golden brown and crispy, 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer the fried corn cakes to the prepared baking sheet lined with paper towels to drain excess oil. Keep them warm.
- Repeat the frying process with the remaining corn mixture.
- Serve the hot crab and corn cakes sprinkled with the remaining green onions. Serve with the dipping sauce for extra flavor.
Equipment and tools
- frying pan
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- Gluten (flour)
- Crustaceans (crabs)
Storage and leftovers
Store leftover crab and corn cakes in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They can be stored for up to 2 days.
Heat the crab and corn cakes in the preheated oven at 350°F (180°C) for about 10 minutes or until heated through.
Do not freeze the crab and corn cakes as they may become too watery when thawed.
Health Benefits of Crab and Corn Cakes with Chili Dip
Crab and corn cakes with chili dip not only taste delicious but also have several health benefits. Let’s take a look at some of the key ingredients and their nutritional benefits:
Eggs are packed with essential nutrients such as protein, vitamins and minerals. They provide a good amount of high-quality protein, which is important for building and repairing tissue in the body. Eggs also contain vitamins such as vitamin B12, vitamin D and vitamin A, as well as minerals such as selenium and choline. These nutrients contribute to brain health, eye health, and overall well-being.
Although regular flour isn’t particularly nutrient-dense, it is an important ingredient in this recipe because it helps bind the crab and corn together into the patties. However, consumption should be in moderation as flours are usually high in carbohydrates and can cause blood sugar spikes if consumed in excess.
A good source of fiber, sweet corn provides fiber that aids digestion and prevents constipation. It also contains antioxidants such as lutein and zeaxanthin, which have positive effects on eye health. Sweet corn is also rich in vitamins A and C and folic acid, which boost your immune system and support healthy skin and hair.
White crab meat
White crab meat is low in fat and calories, making it a nutritious option for those watching their weight. It’s also a great source of lean protein and contains important minerals like zinc and selenium. These minerals play a crucial role in supporting the immune system, promoting cell growth and maintaining a healthy metabolism.
Green onions, also known as scallions, are rich in vitamin K, vitamin C and vitamin A. They are also a good source of fiber and antioxidants. Vitamin K is essential for bone health and blood clotting, while vitamin C acts as an antioxidant, protecting cells from damage caused by harmful free radicals.
Sweet chili sauce
Sweet chili sauce adds flavor to the crab and corn cakes and also has health benefits. The main ingredient in sweet chili sauce is chili peppers, which contain a compound called capsaicin. Capsaicin has been studied for its potential anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving properties. It can also help boost metabolism and promote weight loss.
Lime and cucumber
Lime adds a tangy flavor to the dipping sauce and is a good source of vitamin C, which supports a healthy immune system. Cucumber, on the other hand, moisturizes and contains antioxidants that protect the body from disease and support overall well-being.
Given these health benefits, enjoying crab and corn cakes with chili dip can be a tasty way to incorporate nutrient-dense ingredients into your diet without compromising on taste. Enjoy this delicious dish while reaping the potential health benefits!