Served for brunch, lunch or dinner, these savory corn pancakes are the epitome of versatility. Garnished with a tantalizing combination of spicy chorizo salsa and vibrant pepper slices, they offer an explosion of flavor with every bite. The fluffy pancakes provide the perfect base, complementing the rich flavor of fried eggs and the savory notes of salsa. Whether you prefer a hearty lunch or an indulgent dinner in the evening, these pancakes are guaranteed to satisfy your appetite and leave you wanting more.
- 140g chorizo, sliced
- 140g frozen peppers or 1 pepper, sliced
- 4-6 tbsp mild salsa
- 140g plain flour
- 50g fine polenta or corn flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking soda
- 125 ml milk
- 4 large eggs
- 140g frozen sweetcorn, thawed or canned, drained
- small handful of cilantro, chopped, plus a few leaves for serving (optional)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil for frying
- Put the flour, polenta, baking powder, milk and 2 eggs in a food processor with a good pinch of salt and mix.
- Add the sweetcorn and coriander and chop briefly until everything is well mixed.
- Set the oven to a low heat to keep the pancakes warm while cooking.
- Add chorizo and peppers to a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Roast for 5-10 minutes, until the peppers are thawed and softened and the oil from the chorizo has released into the pan.
- Stir in the salsa, then pour into a bowl and set aside. Wipe out the pan and reheat with half the oil.
- Pour 8-10cm dollops of the pancake mixture into the pan (they will spread out a bit, so leave space between each dollop).
- Bake for 3-4 minutes until the bottom is golden brown and bubbles form on the top.
- Turn over and bake until golden brown, another 3-4 minutes.
- Add the remaining oil and continue cooking until the mixture is used up (there should be 6 in total), keeping the finished pancakes warm on a plate in the oven.
- When you have baked all the pancakes, fry the two remaining eggs.
- Serve the pancakes with the warm chorizo salsa and eggs, sprinkled with coriander leaves if desired.
Equipment and tools
- frying pan
- Whisk or fork
- measuring cup
- cutting board
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- Polenta or cornmeal
Please use caution if you or anyone consuming this recipe has allergies related to these ingredients.
Storage and leftovers
Leftover corn pancakes can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Heat them in the toaster, oven or microwave before serving.
Health Benefits of Corn Pancakes with Fried Eggs and Chorizo Salsa
Corn Pancakes with Fried Eggs and Chorizo Salsa are a delicious and filling dish that offers a number of health benefits. Packed with nutritious ingredients, this recipe provides a well-rounded meal that can nourish your body. Let’s take a closer look at some of the health benefits of this delicious dish:
Sweetcorn is a great addition to this recipe and provides a sweet and crunchy texture. It is a good source of fiber, which aids digestion, prevents constipation and promotes a healthy gut. Sweet corn also contains antioxidants that protect against free radicals and can reduce the risk of various chronic diseases.
The sliced chorizo adds a spicy touch to this dish and also offers several health benefits. Chorizo is a good source of protein that plays an important role in building and repairing tissue. It also provides essential vitamins and minerals such as vitamin B12, iron and zinc, which are necessary for maintaining overall health.
Peppers, whether frozen or fresh, are rich in vitamins and antioxidants. They are particularly rich in vitamin C, which strengthens the immune system, supports collagen production and aids iron absorption. Additionally, peppers contain vitamin A, vitamin B6 and fiber, which contribute to healthy skin, brain function and digestion.
Eggs are a versatile ingredient in this recipe and offer various health benefits. Rich in high-quality protein, eggs can help you feel fuller for longer, stabilize blood sugar levels, and support muscle growth and repair. They also provide important vitamins and minerals such as vitamin B12 and choline, which play a crucial role in brain function.
Cilantro adds a touch of fresh flavor to this dish and also offers its own health benefits. It is a good source of vitamins A and K as well as several antioxidants. Cilantro may have anti-inflammatory properties, aid digestion, and contribute to healthy skin and hair.
By combining these healthy ingredients, Corn Pancakes with Fried Eggs and Chorizo Salsa not only make a delicious meal, but also provide essential nutrients, antioxidants and fiber, promoting overall health and well-being.