The Corn Dogs recipe page offers a delicious way to make an all-American classic. In this easy-to-follow recipe, juicy frankfurters are coated in a delicious cornmeal batter. Once perfectly coated, the corn dogs are expertly fried to create a deliciously crispy exterior. To enhance their flavor, these golden brown delights are best enjoyed with a side of spicy ketchup and yellow mustard. Prepare this popular treat and enjoy the true taste of American cuisine in every bite!
- 100 ml corn flour
- 100g plain flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp powdered sugar
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 150 ml whole milk
- 8 frankfurters
- Vegetable oil, for deep frying
- Ketchup and American mustard for serving
- Place cornmeal, flour, egg, powdered sugar, salt, baking powder and milk in a bowl.
- Mix the ingredients until you have a smooth, lump-free dough.
- Carefully pour the batter into a tall pitcher or glass to make pouring easier.
- Insert a wooden skewer about three-quarters of the way down the length of each frankfurter.
- Fill a pan a maximum of a third full with oil and heat to 180 °C.
- Check if the oil is ready by adding a cube of bread – it should brown within 30 seconds.
- Working with one Frankfurter at a time:
- Dip the frankfurters into the batter and gently toss until completely coated.
- Carefully drop the breaded frankfurters into the hot oil.
- Fry for 2-3 minutes until the dough is crispy and golden brown.
- Drain the corn dog on a sheet of paper towels.
Equipment and tools
- mixing bowl
- Deep fryer or large pot for deep frying
- Skewers or sticks for corn dogs
Contains: eggs and dairy products (milk)
Storage and leftovers
Corn dogs taste best when served fresh and hot. However, if you have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. To reheat, place in a preheated 350°F oven for about 10 minutes or until heated through. Enjoy!
Health Benefits of Corn Dogs
Health Benefits of Corn Dogs
Corn dogs are a popular and delicious American snack that consists of a frankfurter sausage coated in a thick layer of cornmeal batter. Although they may not be the first choice for health-conscious people, corn dogs can provide surprising health benefits when enjoyed in moderation.
1. Good source of protein
Frankfurter sausages, which serve as the central ingredient in corn dogs, are a good source of protein. Protein is an essential nutrient for muscle growth and repair and also contributes to satiety, keeping you feeling full for longer periods of time.
2. Rich in iron
Corn dogs can provide a decent amount of iron, especially if you choose high-quality sausages. Iron is crucial for the production of red blood cells and the transport of oxygen throughout the body.
3. Contains fiber
The cornmeal used to coat the sausages contains fiber. Fiber promotes digestion and prevents constipation. It also contributes to a feeling of satiety, which can be beneficial for weight control.
4. Provides B vitamins
Corn dogs may contain some B vitamins, including thiamine, niacin and vitamin B12. These vitamins are important for converting food into energy, maintaining a healthy nervous system, and supporting cognitive function.
5. Energy boost
The combination of carbohydrates from the cornmeal dough and protein from the sausages provides a quick source of energy. This makes corn dogs a suitable option for people who need a midday energy boost or for athletes looking for energy before or after exercise.
6. Dietary variation
When you make corn dogs at home, you have control over the ingredients you use. You can opt for whole-grain cornmeal and high-quality sausages to boost the overall nutritional profile. Additionally, when making your own corn dogs, you can adjust the amount of salt and oil to create a healthier version of this popular snack.
Although corn dogs may offer some health benefits, it is important to note that they are often fried, which contains extra calories and unhealthy fats. It is advisable to consume corn dogs in moderation as part of a balanced diet, taking into account the overall nutritional content of your meals.
Corn dogs are typically enjoyed with ketchup and American mustard. These spices add flavor but should be used sparingly due to their high sugar and sodium content. Consider pairing your corn dogs with a side of fresh vegetables or a salad to increase the nutrient density of your meal.