This loaf cake is a delightful fall treat that showcases the bounty of the season with the perfect combination of fresh coconuts and juicy apples. The juicy and aromatic cake is wonderfully rounded off with a delicious dollop of dulce de leche on top, giving it a creamy and indulgent touch. With its simple yet heavenly combination of ingredients, this cake is sure to be a showstopper at any gathering or a cozy afternoon tea dessert.
- 75g coconuts (peeled weight)
- 2 Cox apples, peeled and grated
- 175g butter, softened
- 175g golden powdered sugar
- 2 eggs
- 225g self-raising flour
- a pinch of baking powder
- 3 tbsp dulce de leche or ready-made caramel
- 25g coconuts (peeled weight), finely chopped
You need to buy coconuts in the shell as they are eaten fresh. They are green at the start of the season in September and brown at the end of the season in October.
If coconuts are not in season, use hazelnuts instead.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4.
- Line a 1.2 liter loaf tin with baking paper so that it overhangs the edges of the long sides so that it is easier to lift the cake out.
- Roughly chop the coconuts and mix with the apple.
- Beat the butter with the sugar until light and soft.
- Stir in the eggs one at a time.
- When the mixture looks like it is separating, stir in some flour.
- Fold in the remaining flour and baking powder.
- Add the apple and nut mixture.
- Bake the cake for 1 hour or until risen and golden brown and a skewer comes out clean (be careful not to mistake a piece of soft apple for unbaked cake).
- While the cake is still hot and in the pan, melt the dulche de leche or caramel in a pan.
- Let it bubble for a minute or two, it will darken a little.
- Stir in the nuts and then spoon the mixture over the cake.
- Once the topping and cake have cooled for 5 minutes, remove the cake from the pan.
- Let cool on a rack.
Equipment and tools
For this recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- mixing bowl
- Cake Tin
- baking paper
- Electric mixer (optional)
This Coconut Apple Cake recipe may contain the following allergens:
- Nuts (coconuts/hazelnuts)
- Dairy products (butter)
Storage and leftovers
After baking, allow the Cobnut & Apple Loaf Cake to cool completely. Once cooled, store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
If you have leftovers, you can also freeze cake slices. Wrap each slice tightly in plastic wrap and place in a freezer-safe bag or container. The cake slices can be frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw individual slices in the refrigerator before enjoying.
Before eating leftovers or frozen slices, check for signs of spoilage or freezer burn.
Health Benefits of Coconut and Apple Cake
The combination of coconuts and apples in this delicious loaf cake is not only a treat for your taste buds but also offers several health benefits. Let’s take a look at the nutritional benefits of these ingredients:
Coconuts are a type of nut that is full of essential nutrients. Here are some health benefits of coconuts:
- Rich in healthy fats: Coconuts are a great source of healthy monounsaturated fats, which can help improve heart health and reduce the risk of coronary heart disease.
- Rich in fiber: The high fiber content in coconuts aids digestion, prevents constipation and promotes overall intestinal health.
- A good source of vitamins and minerals: Coconuts contain essential vitamins such as vitamin E, which acts as a powerful antioxidant, and minerals such as manganese, copper and magnesium, which are important for various body functions.
- Supports weight management: Although coconuts are high in calories, they can aid in weight management due to their high fiber and protein content, which increases satiety and prevents overeating.
2. Cox’s Apple
Cox apple, a variety known for its crisp and sweet flavor, adds more than just flavor to this cake. It brings numerous health benefits:
- Packed with Antioxidants: Apples are rich in antioxidants, especially flavonoids, which help reduce cell damage caused by free radicals and fight chronic diseases.
- Promotes Digestion: The fiber contained in apples helps maintain a healthy digestive system by preventing constipation and promoting regular bowel movements.
- Improves heart health: Regular consumption of apples is associated with a lower risk of heart disease because they contain high levels of soluble fiber, which helps lower cholesterol levels.
- Boosts immunity: Apples are a good source of vitamin C, which plays a crucial role in supporting the immune system and protecting the body from infections.
- Moisturizing Properties: Apples have high water content, which not only keeps you hydrated but also contributes to healthy skin and overall well-being.
By incorporating coconut and apples into your diet with this delicious loaf cake, you can enjoy a range of health benefits while enjoying a delicious treat. Don’t worry if coconuts are out of season. You can easily replace them with hazelnuts and still get the same benefits.