This savory Coburg bread with cheese and caramelized onions is a delicious treat that will delight your taste buds. Made with the perfect combination of rich, creamy cheese and sweet, caramelized onions, every bite is packed with flavor.
Treat yourself to the irresistible scent as this bread bakes to perfection in your oven. With a golden, crispy crust and a soft, fluffy interior, it’s an absolute delight to enjoy warm. Perfect as a standalone snack or as a side dish to your favorite soups and stews, this bread is sure to become a favorite in your household.
- 400 g malted grain black bread flour or wholemeal or cereal bread flour
- 100g strong white bread flour
- 7 g packet of Easy-Bake dry yeast (or 2 tsp quick dry yeast)
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp softened butter
- 1 large onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 beaten egg
- 50 g grated mature cheddar
- Mix brown flour of your choice with white flour, yeast and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the butter to the flour and stir until well combined.
- Stir in the seeds if necessary.
- Make a dip in the center of the flour mixture.
- Pour in almost 300 ml of lukewarm water and mix it with a round-bladed knife.
- Add enough remaining water to form a soft, not too sticky dough.
- Form the dough into a ball.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead for 8-10 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Cover the dough with an inverted, clean, large glass bowl and let rise for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until doubled in size and elastic.
- Punch down the dough by kneading it lightly a few times.
- Form the dough into a ball and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- In a separate pan, fry the onion in olive oil until lightly caramelized, then set aside to cool.
- Divide the dough in half and shape each half into a ball.
- Cover the dough balls with the glass bowl and let them rest for 15 minutes.
- Flatten each dough ball into an 18cm round and place on separate large baking trays lined with baking paper.
- Using a sharp knife, make 6 deep cuts to cut each round into 6 wedges.
- Cover the circles with a clean tea towel and let rise for 40-45 minutes, or until doubled in size.
- Brush the circles with beaten egg.
- Sprinkle onions and grated cheese on top.
- Place a roasting tray in the bottom of the oven and preheat the oven to 230°C/210°C fan/gas mark 8.
- Carefully place the risen bread in the oven and pour about 250ml of cold water into the roasting tin to generate steam and create a crispy crust.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7 and bake the bread for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
- If the onion gets too brown, cover the top with parchment paper.
- Remove the bread from the oven and let it cool on a wire rack.
- To check if the bread is done, tap the bottom of the loaf – it should be firm and hollow-sounding.
Equipment and tools
Before you begin preparing your Coburg cheese and caramelized onions, make sure you have the following equipment and tools:
- mixing bowl
- parchment paper
- measuring spoon
- Sharp knife
- frying pan
- Pastry brush
The Cheese & Caramelized Onion Coburg contains the following allergens:
Storage and leftovers
To ensure maximum freshness and flavor, follow these storage tips for your Coburg cheese and caramelized onions:
- Once cooled, store the Coburg in an airtight container at room temperature.
- It is recommended to consume the Coburg within 2-3 days.
- If you wish, you can reheat the remaining Coburg in a preheated oven at 180°C (350°F) for a few minutes.
Note: The consistency and taste of the Coburg may change slightly after reheating.
Health Benefits of Coburg Cheese and Caramelized Onions
Health Benefits of Coburg Cheese and Caramelized Onions
Coburg cheese and caramelized onions are not only a delicious flavor combination, but they also provide several health benefits. The combination of nutrient-dense ingredients in this recipe contributes to a well-rounded and satisfying meal. Let’s take a closer look at the health benefits of each component:
1. Malted grain black bread flour, whole grain or granary bread flour
The bread base of this Coburg consists of malted grain black bread flour, wholemeal or cereal bread flour. These types of flour are less processed than white flour and therefore retain more nutrients and fiber. They provide a slower release of energy and help you feel fuller for longer. Additionally, whole grain and grain bread flours contain more vitamins, minerals and antioxidants than refined white flour.
2. Easy-Bake dry yeast
Easy-to-bake dry yeast or quick-dry yeast is used to make the bread rise. Yeast is a rich source of B vitamins and minerals such as phosphorus, selenium and potassium. B vitamins play an important role in converting food into energy, supporting proper brain function and maintaining a healthy nervous system.
3. Soft butter
A small amount of softened butter is added to the dough, adding a touch of richness and flavor. While butter should be consumed in moderation due to its high saturated fat content, it also contains fat-soluble vitamins such as vitamins A, D, E, and K. These vitamins are essential for various body functions, including maintaining healthy vision and strengthening the immune system system and promotes bone health.
4. Onion and olive oil
The caramelized onions in this Coburg not only provide a deliciously sweet yet savory taste, but also offer health benefits. Onions are rich in antioxidants, particularly flavonoids and quercetin, which may have anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer properties. In addition, they contain prebiotic fiber, which supports the growth of beneficial intestinal bacteria.
Olive oil used to cook the onions is a healthy source of monounsaturated fats, which are known to help lower cholesterol and improve heart health. It also contains polyphenols, which have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
5. Grated mature cheddar
Mature Cheddar cheese gives the Coburg a special flavor. Despite its high fat content, cheese provides a number of important nutrients such as protein, calcium and vitamin B12. Calcium is essential for building and maintaining strong bones, while vitamin B12 supports nerve function and helps prevent certain types of anemia.
By combining these nutritious ingredients, Cheese & Caramelized Onion Coburg offers a delicious and filling meal that contributes to a balanced diet.