This kid-friendly pudding from reader Julie Prior is a classic twist on the traditional Christmas pudding. Treat yourself to a delicious combination of rich chocolate, juicy fruits and tangy clementines. This delicious dessert will add a touch of sweetness to your festive celebrations. It is perfect for those who prefer a lighter and less alcoholic option. The flavors meld perfectly to create a heavenly treat that both children and adults will love. Prepare this delicious Christmas pudding with chocolate, fruits and clementines and share it with your loved ones for an unforgettable holiday season.
- 85g mixed fruits
- 85g dried cranberries
- Zest and juice of 2 clementines
- Zest and squeeze 1 lemon
- 100g soft butter, plus a little butter for greasing
- 100g dark muscovado sugar
- 50g self-raising flour
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp spice mix
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and grated
- 50g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 50g glazed cherries, roughly chopped
- 85g dark chocolate chips
- Soak the mixed fruit, cranberries and lemon peels in clementine and lemon juice for 3 days, stirring daily and keeping the bowl covered with a tea towel.
- Butter a 1 liter pudding tin and line the bottom with a circle of baking paper.
- Mix butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Sift the flour, cocoa and spices and stir in.
- Add the eggs and mix well.
- Stir in the apple, the soaked fruit and the liquid.
- Add breadcrumbs, cherries and chocolate chips and mix thoroughly.
- Fill the basin with the mixture.
- Cover the basin with double-thickness baking paper folded in half.
- Cover this with a layer of foil folded in half.
- Tie it with a string.
- Place the pudding in a large pot on a trivet or upturned saucer so that it does not touch the bottom.
- Fill the pot halfway up with hot water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover the pan and then cook for 2 hours.
Equipment and tools
To prepare this recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- mixing bowl
- Whisk or electric mixer
- Pudding basin or heatproof bowl
- parchment paper
- Aluminum foil
- Steamer or a large pan with a lid
- Sharp knife or toothpick
This chocolate, fruit and clementine Christmas pudding recipe contains the following allergens:
- Dairy products (butter)
- Gluten (self-raising flour, breadcrumbs)
Please be sure to check the labels of the ingredients you use as certain brands may have different allergen information.
Storage and leftovers
After making and serving the Chocolate, Fruit and Clementine Christmas Pudding, you may have some leftovers. Here are some storage guidelines:
- Allow pudding to cool completely before storing.
- Wrap the pudding tightly with plastic wrap or place it in an airtight container.
- Store the pudding in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- To reheat, steam the pudding for 1-2 hours or until warmed through.
Note: The pudding can also be frozen for up to 3 months. To defrost and reheat, place in the refrigerator overnight and follow the reheating instructions above.
Health Benefits of Chocolate, Fruit and Clementine Christmas Pudding
The holidays are a time of indulgence and festive treats. However, that doesn’t mean you have to put your health at risk. A delicious dessert option that combines the sweet flavors of chocolate, fruit and clementines is the Chocolate, Fruit & Clementine Christmas Pudding. It not only satisfies your taste buds but also brings several health benefits.
1. Rich in antioxidants
Dark chocolate is a key ingredient in this recipe and is known for its high antioxidant content. Antioxidants help protect cells from damage by removing harmful free radicals from the body. Regular consumption of dark chocolate has been linked to various health benefits, such as reducing inflammation and improving heart health.
2. Good source of fiber
The addition of mixed fruits, dried cranberries and clementines gives this Christmas pudding a significant amount of fiber. Fiber is essential for maintaining a healthy digestive system, promoting regular bowel movements and preventing constipation. It also helps control blood sugar levels, lowers cholesterol levels and aids in weight control.
3. Vitamin C boost
Clementines and lemons are rich sources of vitamin C, which is essential for a strong immune system. Vitamin C also acts as an antioxidant, reducing oxidative stress in the body and improving iron absorption. Including clementines and lemons in this pudding can help boost your immunity during the winter season and protect against common diseases.
4. Omega-3 fatty acids
The recipe contains dark chocolate chips, which may contain a small amount of omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3 fatty acids are essential fats that play a critical role in brain health, reducing inflammation and supporting heart health. Even if the amount contained in the pudding is not particularly large, every little bit helps to ensure a balanced diet.
5. Nutrient-rich ingredients
In addition to the health benefits mentioned above, this Christmas pudding contains other nutrient-rich ingredients. Apples provide vitamins and minerals, while cherries add a touch of sweetness. By using self-raising flour and eggs, the pudding is enriched with proteins and additional nutrients.
So don’t feel guilty about enjoying a slice of chocolate, fruit and clementine Christmas pudding this holiday season. With its multiple health benefits, it is a dessert that will delight your taste buds and contribute to your overall well-being.