This rich, gooey chocolate cake is baked low in fat, making it a guilt-free treat that doesn’t compromise on taste. The fluffy chocolate sponge is expertly baked to perfection with a delicious texture that melts in your mouth. But what takes this dessert to the next level is the decadent hot chocolate cream served with the cake. This velvety-smooth, heavenly vanilla pudding adds an extra dose of chocolaty deliciousness to every bite, making it a perfect retro weekend pudding. Indulge your sweet tooth and be transported back to nostalgic flavors with this delicious treat!
- 300g pitted dates, chopped
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 350 g light muscovado sugar
- 200g wholemeal flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking soda
- 100g cocoa
- 5 tbsp vanilla pudding powder
- 5 tbsp light muscovado sugar
- 50g cocoa powder
- 1.2l skimmed milk
- Cover the dates with boiling water and let them soften for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/140°C fan/Gas 3 and line a 20 x 30cm baking tin with baking paper.
- Drain the dates, reserving the liquid and mix with 100 ml of the soaking liquid to form a puree.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric whisk until stiff peaks form at the end of the whisk.
- Add half the sugar to the egg whites and beat until thick and shiny.
- In another bowl, beat the egg yolks and remaining sugar until light.
- Stir the crushed date mixture into the egg yolks.
- Fold the date and egg yolk mixture into the egg white mixture until well combined.
- Mix flour, baking powder and cocoa with a pinch of salt.
- Sprinkle the flour mixture over the wet mixture and fold gently until well combined.
- Carefully spread the mixture into the baking pan lined with baking paper and spread it all the way to the edge.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Mix the pudding powder, sugar and cocoa in a pot.
- Stir in a few drops of milk until a smooth paste forms.
- Gradually add more milk until combined without any lumps.
- Place the pot over medium heat and heat the mixture, stirring constantly, until it is thick and just bubbling.
- Cut the still warm cake into pieces.
- To serve, pour the hot chocolate cream over the warm cake.
Equipment and tools
- mixing bowl
- Electric mixer or whisk
- baking tray
- baking paper
- Spatula or wooden spoon
This recipe may contain the following allergens:
- Wheat flour)
Please be sure to check the labels of the ingredients you use to ensure they are appropriate for your dietary needs.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply microwave each portion for a few seconds until warmed through.
Health Benefits of Chocolate Sponge Cake with Hot Chocolate Cream
When it comes to desserts, the combination of a rich chocolate sponge and a creamy hot chocolate cream is hard to resist. But did you know that this treat can actually provide surprising health benefits? Let’s explore the benefits of the ingredients used in this delicious recipe.
1. Dates – nature’s sweetener
The chocolate sponge cake is sweetened with pitted dates instead of refined sugar. Dates are a healthier alternative because they provide natural sweetness while containing important nutrients. They are rich in fiber, antioxidants and minerals such as potassium and magnesium. These nutrients can support digestive health, regulate blood pressure, and promote a healthy cardiovascular system.
2. Eggs – a nutritional powerhouse
The recipe calls for six large eggs, which not only add structure to the sponge cake dough, but also provide exceptional nutritional value. Eggs are packed with high-quality protein and provide all the essential amino acids needed for various body functions. They also contain important vitamins and minerals such as vitamin B12, selenium and choline, which have a positive effect on brain health, metabolism and cell function.
3. Whole wheat flour – fiber and nutrients
Using whole wheat flour in the biscuit dough provides a nutty taste and increases the nutritional content. Whole wheat flour is less processed than white flour, preserving the grain’s bran and germ layers, which are rich in fiber, vitamins and minerals. The fiber supports digestion, promotes satiety and helps maintain stable blood sugar levels.
4. Cocoa – Antioxidant powerhouse
This dessert’s main ingredient, cocoa, not only enhances the rich chocolate flavor but also provides a number of health benefits. Cocoa is a powerful source of antioxidants, particularly flavonoids, which help protect against cell damage caused by free radicals. Studies suggest that consuming cocoa can improve heart health, lower blood pressure, and even improve mood and cognition.
5. Skim milk – calcium boost
The hot chocolate pudding is made with skim milk, which significantly reduces the fat content compared to whole milk. Skim milk is a good source of calcium, which is essential for healthy bones and teeth. It also contains protein, vitamin D and B12, and other vital nutrients that contribute to overall well-being.
6. Pudding Powder – Creaminess with control
To achieve the creamy consistency of the vanilla pudding, vanilla pudding powder is used in the recipe. Although it may not offer significant health benefits, it allows you to control the sweetness and consistency of the custard while giving it a delicious taste.