Bring some magic to the kitchen this Halloween with these spooky chocolate spiders. These delicious cookies are made from rich, delicious chocolate and are shaped like spooky spiders, perfect for a spooky treat. With their irresistible taste and scary appearance, they will impress both children and adults. Decorate them with candy eyes and licorice legs to add to the spooky fun. Whether you’re throwing a Halloween party or simply want to surprise your loved ones with a spooky treat, these chocolate spider cookies are the ultimate treat for the spookiest night of the year.
- 200g dark or milk chocolate, broken into pieces
- 113g pack of Liquorice Catherine Wheels (we used Barratts)
- 2 x 154g packs of Oreo cookies
- white and black icing sticks
- Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of barely simmering water.
- Once the chocolate is melted, turn off the heat and leave the chocolate warm in the bowl while you assemble the spiders.
- Unroll some of the licorice slices and cut them into 2-3cm pieces to use as legs for the chocolate spiders.
- Place a small teaspoon of chocolate on half of the cookies.
- Arrange eight licorice sticks on top of the chocolate blobs.
- Insert the chocolate-covered cookie along with another cookie.
- Spread some more chocolate on the second cookie to cover it.
- Place the cookies in a cool place to set.
- Use the icing pens to add eyes.
- Apply two large dots of white icing to each cookie.
- Cover the white icing with two smaller dots of black icing.
Equipment and tools
- mixing bowl
- Microwave or water bath for melting chocolate
- parchment paper
- Cookie scoop or tablespoon
- Sharp knife
- Icing sticks for decorating
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- Gluten (from Oreo cookies)
- Soy (from chocolate and Oreo cookies)
Storage and leftovers
Once the chocolate spider cookies have completely cooled, store them in an airtight container at room temperature. They stay fresh for up to 1 week.
If you have leftovers, you can freeze the cookies in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. Thaw them at room temperature before serving.
Health Benefits of Chocolate Spider Cookies
Enjoying a delicious treat like chocolate spider cookies can bring great satisfaction and joy. But did you know that these delicious snacks can also provide some health benefits? Let’s take a closer look at the ingredients in these cookies and the potential benefits they can provide:
Dark or milk chocolate
The main ingredient of Chocolate Spider Cookies is dark or milk chocolate. Chocolate, especially dark chocolate with a higher cocoa content, is known for its antioxidant properties. Antioxidants help protect the body from harmful free radicals, which can lead to chronic disease and premature aging. Additionally, dark chocolate has been linked to improving heart health and overall blood circulation. Moderation is key when consuming chocolate, but incorporating it into these cookies will give your treat a small dose of potential health benefits.
Liquorice Catherine Wheels
A unique component of chocolate spider cookies are the licorice Catherine wheels. Liquorice is derived from the root of the Glycyrrhiza glabra plant and has been used in traditional medicine for centuries. It has been suggested that licorice may have anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. Additionally, it could potentially contribute to digestive health and support a healthy immune system. The small amount of licorice in these cookies gives them a hint of flavor and could offer some potential health benefits.
The base of the chocolate spider cookies is made from Oreo cookies. Although Oreo cookies are not considered a health food, they still provide some nutritional value. These cookies contain a small amount of iron, calcium and fiber. However, it’s important to note that Oreo cookies are high in sugar and processed ingredients and should be enjoyed in moderation as part of a balanced diet.
White and black glaze sticks
The white and black icing sticks used to decorate the chocolate spider cookies add a fun and creative element. Even if they don’t necessarily have concrete health benefits, engaging in creative activities can have a positive impact on mental well-being. Decorating these cookies can be a stress-relieving and fun activity that allows you to express your artistic side.
In summary, chocolate spider cookies can provide both a delicious taste experience and potential health benefits. From the antioxidant properties of dark chocolate to the traditional potential benefits of licorice, these cookies can give your wellness a little boost. Remember to enjoy them in moderation and consider the added benefits of a creative activity. So go ahead, treat yourself to these delicious treats without feeling guilty!