A fun and whimsical chocolate owl cake recipe that’s perfect for birthday parties and guaranteed to delight little kids. As well as being moist and chocolaty, this delicious cake is beautifully decorated with a selection of colorful buttons, cookies and marzipan to mimic the adorable facial features of an owl. It’s a surefire way to stimulate little ones’ imaginations and make their special day even more memorable. With its irresistible taste and adorable decorations, this chocolate owl cake will be the star of any birthday party.
- 325g butter
- 325g dark chocolate
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 325g flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 450g light, soft brown sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 300 ml sour cream
- 250g butter
- 350g powdered sugar, sifted
- 50g cocoa, sifted
- 2 Table spoons of milk
- 8 giant white chocolate buttons
- 2 packs of milk chocolate buttons
- 2 chocolate flake bars
- 60g yellow marzipan
- 125g pack of chocolate finger biscuits
- Candles (optional)
- Writing frosting (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/fan 140°C/gas mark 4.
- Line a round cake tin with a diameter of 20 cm and a square cake tin with a diameter of 18 cm.
- Place butter and chocolate in a saucepan and stir over very gentle heat until melted and smooth. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Sift flour, baking powder and baking soda into a large bowl. Add the sugar and break up any lumps.
- Mix eggs and sour cream and pour onto the flour mixture. Add the melted chocolate and mix well until smooth.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the two pans and bake in the oven for about 55 minutes to 1 hour. A good way to check that the mixture is evenly distributed is to insert a cocktail stick into each mixture and the filling amounts should be the same.
- For the glaze, put the butter in a bowl and beat until creamy. Gradually add the powdered sugar and cocoa, stirring well between each addition. Add the milk and stir until you have a soft, spreadable consistency.
- To assemble, place the round cake on a large wooden board or tray (the cake must be served on it). Place the round cake pan on top of the square cake about 12cm from one edge and cut along the edge of the pan. Remove the smaller piece and place it at one end of the round cake to represent the ears.
- Cut the remaining square cake almost in half, creating a rectangle (for the fence) and a semicircle (for the wings). Place the rectangle on the bottom of the owl cake. Cut the semicircle horizontally in the middle. Arrange one piece on each side of the round cake to form the wings.
- Spread the butter icing all over the cake. Cut the flake bars into small pieces and arrange them on the wings to represent feathers. Save the flaky crumbs. Arrange the milk chocolate buttons on the body. Place chocolate fingers on bottom cake to form fence. Using a fork, mark the icing to form the owl’s ears. Using the flake crumbs, form a V shape between the ears, similar to a “widow’s peak.” Arrange the white chocolate buttons in two circles to form the eyes, placing a milk chocolate button in the center of each. Form a beak out of a third of the marzipan and form two feet out of the remaining marzipan.
- Place the candles on the “fence” part of the cake. You can also add a child’s name or message to the fence using writing icing.
Equipment and tools
For this recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- mixing bowl
- Electric mixer
- Measurement scales
- Two round cake tins with a diameter of 20 cm
- Cooling rack
- saw knife
- Offset spatula
This chocolate owl cake contains the following allergens:
- Dairy products (butter, chocolate, cream, powdered sugar)
- Wheat flour)
- Soy (chocolate buttons)
- Almonds (marzipan)
Please note that this recipe may also come into contact with other allergens not listed above. If you have specific dietary concerns or allergies, please consult the ingredient list and adjust the recipe accordingly.
Storage and leftovers
Once prepared, this Chocolate Owl Cake can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. Alternatively, you can store the cake in the fridge for up to 5 days. To freeze leftovers, wrap individual slices in plastic wrap and place in a sealed freezer bag. The cake can be kept frozen for up to 2 months.
Before serving leftovers, allow cake to come to room temperature. If necessary, you can also warm up individual slices in the microwave for a few seconds.
Health Benefits of Chocolate Owl Cake
Chocolate Owl Cake not only satisfies your taste buds but also offers several health benefits. While chocolate is often associated with indulgence and hidden pleasures, it contains compounds that can have a positive impact on our well-being.
1. Boosts mood
Chocolate is known to lift mood and promote feelings of happiness. The presence of specific compounds such as phenylethylamine and serotonin helps stimulate the release of endorphins, commonly known as “feel-good” hormones.
2. Provides antioxidants
The dark chocolate used in this recipe is an important source of antioxidants. These powerful compounds help neutralize harmful free radicals in the body, reducing oxidative stress and cell damage.
3. Improves heart health
Studies have shown that consuming moderate amounts of dark chocolate can have a positive impact on cardiovascular health. The flavonoids in chocolate help improve blood circulation, lower blood pressure and maintain heart health.
4. Improves cognitive function
Flavanols in chocolate are associated with improved cognitive function. Regular consumption of dark chocolate can have positive effects on memory, attention span, and overall brain health.
5. Provides nutritional value
While chocolate owl cake is a treat, it also contains ingredients with nutritional benefits. Eggs and sour cream are good sources of protein, while butter provides important fats. In addition, the cake contains plain flour, which is a source of carbohydrates and fiber.
Although chocolate owl cake is not a health food, it shows that desserts can still be enjoyed in moderation while providing potential health benefits. So go ahead and satisfy your sweet tooth without feeling guilty with this delicious chocolate treat!