Treat yourself to the ultimate steamed chocolate orange pudding with velvety chocolate sauce. This timeless dessert combines the perfect balance of zesty orange and delicate chocolate, creating a heavenly taste experience. Dive into every delicious spoonful of this rich and irresistibly juicy pudding that will satisfy your sweet cravings. What makes it even better is that it’s surprisingly low in sugar, so you can enjoy guilt-free indulgence without having to compromise on taste. Treat yourself to this delicious creation and transport your taste buds to a world of chocolate delight!
- 50g cocoa
- 50g butter, plus a little butter for greasing
- 100g Total Sweet (xylitol, see tip)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 200 ml semi-skimmed milk
- 1 small orange
- 100 g Total Sweet (xylitol)
- 225g self-raising flour
- 50g cocoa
- 150 ml semi-skimmed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
What is xylitol?
Xylitol, a naturally occurring sugar alternative, can be used in the same way as sugar in many recipes. Unlike regular sugar, xylitol actually protects against tooth decay. It contributes about a third of the calories of table sugar and has a low GI (glycemic index).
- Sift the cocoa into a small saucepan.
- Add all other sauce ingredients to the pot.
- Heat the pot over medium-high heat while stirring.
- Allow the sauce to bubble vigorously for 1 minute to obtain a glossy sauce.
- Pour 4 tablespoons of the sauce into the bottom of a lightly buttered 4-quart traditional pudding bowl.
- Allow the rest of the sauce to cool, stirring occasionally.
- Put a very large pot of water to boil. Make sure it is deep enough to enclose the entire pudding bowl.
- Place a small, upside-down plate in the bottom of the pan to support the basin.
- Peel the orange peel, then cut off the peel and pulp.
- Cut between the membrane to reveal the orange segments.
- Place all the ingredients for the pudding, except for the orange pieces, in a food processor.
- Puree the ingredients until a smooth mixture is formed.
- Add the orange pieces to the pudding mixture and chop.
- Pour the pudding mixture into the pudding bowl and smooth it out to the edge.
- Tear off a sheet of foil and a sheet of baking paper, both about 30cm long.
- Grease the baking paper with butter and cover the foil with it.
- Make a 3cm fold in the middle of the leaves.
- Place the folded sheets over the pudding, buttered parchment paper side down.
- Tie a string under the edge of the pool, forming a handle.
- Trim excess parchment and foil to about 2 inches.
- Place the foil around the parchment to seal.
- Lower the basin into the water tray, making sure the water comes two-thirds of the way up the sides of the basin.
- Cover the pan with a lid to catch the steam and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- Carefully unpack the pudding. It should now be risen and firm.
- Turn the pudding out of the bowl onto a plate.
- Pour some warmed sauce over it and serve the rest separately with the pudding slices.
Equipment and tools
To make this chocolate orange steamed pudding with chocolate sauce, you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Steamer or large pot with lid
- Pudding basin or heatproof bowl
- mixing bowl
- Whisk or electric mixer
- grater or zester
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Spatula or wooden spoon
- Greaseproof paper or foil
This chocolate orange steamed pudding contains the following allergens:
- Dairy products (butter, milk)
Please note that depending on the brand of self-raising flour used, this recipe may also contain traces of nuts and gluten.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers of this Chocolate Orange Steamed Pudding with Chocolate Sauce, you can store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To reheat, place the pudding in a steamer or microwave over low heat until warmed through. The chocolate sauce can be warmed up separately in a pot or in the microwave.
For best results, enjoy the pudding and sauce within the first two days to maintain their flavor and consistency.
Health Benefits of Steamed Chocolate Orange Pudding with Chocolate Sauce
Enjoying a delicious dessert doesn’t always have to mean sacrificing your health. This Steamed Chocolate Orange Pudding with Chocolate Sauce recipe not only satisfies your sweet tooth but also comes with several health benefits. Let’s delve into the goodness of this delicious treat:
1. Low added sugar
By using Total Sweet (Xylitol) as a sugar alternative, this recipe significantly reduces the amount of added sugar compared to traditional pudding recipes. Xylitol is a naturally occurring sweetener that accounts for about a third of the calories of table sugar and has a low glycemic index. It offers the same level of sweetness without the harmful effects that come with high sugar consumption.
2. Protection against tooth decay
Unlike regular sugar, xylitol actually protects against tooth decay. It inhibits the growth of harmful bacteria in the mouth that cause tooth decay and plaque formation. So you can treat yourself to this chocolate orange steamed pudding without worrying too much about its effects on your dental health.
3. Good source of fiber
This pudding recipe contains self-raising flour, which provides a decent amount of fiber. Fiber is essential for a healthy digestive system as it helps regulate bowel movements, prevent constipation and promote satiety. Incorporating fiber-rich foods into your diet is crucial for maintaining overall gut health.
4. Antioxidant-rich cocoa
Chocolate lovers will be happy to know that this recipe contains cocoa, which is full of antioxidants. Antioxidants help fight harmful free radicals in the body and reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease, stroke and certain cancers. Additionally, cocoa has been linked to improved mood and cognitive function.
5. Goodness of citrus fruits
Adding a small orange to this dessert provides a hint of citrus flavor and a dose of vitamin C. Vitamin C is known for its role in supporting a healthy immune system and aiding collagen production for healthy skin. Including citrus fruits in your diet brings numerous health benefits that are worth enjoying.
With its reduced sugar content, tooth-friendly xylitol, high-fiber flour, antioxidant-rich cocoa, and the refreshing hint of citrus, this Chocolate Orange Steamed Pudding with Chocolate Sauce is a delicious and health-conscious dessert option. Enjoy the delicious taste while benefiting from the benefits it offers for your overall well-being.
What is xylitol?
Xylitol is a naturally occurring sugar alternative that can be used like sugar in many recipes. It delivers the same level of sweetness with about a third of the calories of table sugar. Xylitol also stands out as a tooth-friendly sweetener that protects against tooth decay and offers a low glycemic index.