Who can resist the heavenly combination of ice cream, crunchy nuts and delicious chocolate? Then the Choc & Nut Sundae Cake is just the thing for you, a truly irresistible creation from famous baking guru Jane Hornby. This popular dessert is sure to satisfy anyone with a sweet tooth with its delicious flavors and captivating presentation. Whether you’re planning a special occasion or simply treating yourself, this cake is the ultimate show-stopper that will leave everyone wanting more. Don’t miss this divine dessert that combines the best of ice cream, nuts and chocolate in an incredible masterpiece!
- 85g butter, melted and cooled, plus a little butter for greasing
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder, plus 1 tsp
- 5 eggs
- 175g golden powdered sugar
- 100g plain flour
- 100 g dark chocolate (70% cocoa content)
- 50g butter
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- 1 tbsp instant coffee granules
- 3 tbsp freshly boiled water
- 2 x 500ml cups of high quality vanilla ice cream
- 4 Cadbury’s Chocolate Flake bars, crumbled
- 100 g roasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped
When freezing a dessert
That’s the best way
Open “Open Freeze” first,
which means freeze
it was exposed until it was solid.
Then you can cover it
Cover with cling film or insert
it in an airtight container
without crushing it
Cake or its topping.
Make sure you take this cake out of the freezer an hour before serving and then just add it
a generous drizzle of chocolate sauce.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan 170°C/gas 5.
- Grease a 23 cm cake tin with a feather edge, line the base with baking paper and also grease it.
- Add 1 teaspoon of cocoa powder to the can, tip it over and rotate it so that the bottom and sides are covered in a fine layer.
- Discard the non-sticky cocoa.
- Place eggs and sugar in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer until very thick and light, about 5 minutes.
- Pour the butter around the edge of the bowl and then sift in the flour and 4 tablespoons cocoa powder.
- Fold in with a large metal spoon, cutting rather than mixing to preserve the bubbles.
- Pour into the tin and bake for 20 minutes until the dough is risen and springy.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Continue with the chocolate sauce.
- Place all ingredients in a microwave-safe bowl and cook for 1 minute or until chocolate is melted.
- Stir briefly until smooth, then cover and set aside.
- Store for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month.
- Once the cake is cold, take the ice cream out of the freezer to let it soften a little.
- Cut the cake in half (easiest with a bread knife) and place the bottom on a serving plate.
- Place a bowl of ice cream in an even layer on the base and top with half the crumbled flakes and half the hazelnuts.
- Place the other half of the cake on top and then cover it with scoops from the second cup of ice cream as well as the chocolate and nuts.
- Serve immediately with the sauce or freeze for up to 1 month (see how-to below).
- If you have frozen the sauce, take it out to thaw at room temperature a few hours before serving.
- Place the cake in the refrigerator 1 hour before serving.
- If your chocolate sauce is still a little solid, warm it in the microwave on low for a few seconds.
- Drizzle some chocolate sauce over the cake and serve with some chocolate sauce in a small jug for pouring.
Equipment and tools
To make this Chocolate Nut Sundae Cake you will need the following equipment and tools:
- mixing bowl
- 20cm round cake tin
- baking paper
- Small pot
- Cooling rack
This Chocolate Nut Sundae Cake recipe may contain the following allergens:
- Dairy products (butter, ice cream)
- Gluten (flour)
- Nuts (hazelnuts)
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftover Chocolate Nut Sundae Cake, you can store it using the following guidelines:
- Allow the cake to cool completely.
- Cut it into individual portions.
- If necessary, place each portion in an airtight container.
- Store in the freezer for up to 1 month.
To thaw and enjoy leftovers, remove desired portions from the freezer and let sit at room temperature for about an hour before serving. For extra enjoyment, you can also add a generous drizzle of chocolate sauce.
Health Benefits of Chocolate Nut Sundae Cake
While the Chocolate Nut Sundae Cake is a dessert treat, it also offers some surprising health benefits. Let’s take a closer look at the health benefits of its key ingredients.
1. Dark chocolate
Dark chocolate, used in cake and chocolate sauce, contains higher levels of cocoa solids and is therefore a rich source of antioxidants. These antioxidants help fight free radicals in the body and reduce oxidative stress and inflammation. Moderate consumption of dark chocolate is associated with a lower risk of heart disease, improved brain function and improved mood.
Hazelnuts, a key ingredient in this dessert, are full of vitamins, minerals and healthy fats. They are an excellent source of vitamin E, which acts as an antioxidant and helps protect cells from damage. Hazelnuts also provide heart-healthy monounsaturated fats, fiber and phytochemicals that support brain health and reduce inflammation in the body.
In this recipe, eggs serve not only as a binding agent, but also as a nutritious addition to the cake. They are a great source of high-quality protein and contain essential amino acids that are necessary for various body functions. Eggs are also rich in vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and choline, which is important for brain and liver health.
Although butter should be consumed in moderation, it still offers some health benefits. Butter contains important fat-soluble vitamins such as vitamin A, E and K2. It is also a source of healthy saturated fats, which provide sustained energy and aid the absorption of certain nutrients.
5. Cocoa powder
Cocoa powder gives the cake a rich chocolate flavor and is also a source of antioxidants. It contains flavanols, which have been linked to cardiovascular health benefits including improved blood flow and lowering blood pressure. Cocoa powder also contains minerals such as iron, magnesium and zinc.
6. Coffee granules
Coffee granules, even when used in small quantities, contribute to the overall flavor of the cake. Coffee contains caffeine, which can stimulate the central nervous system, increase alertness, and improve mood. It may also have some positive effects on brain function and reduce the risk of certain diseases such as Parkinson’s and type 2 diabetes.
Although this Chocolate Nut Sundae Cake should be enjoyed as an occasional treat, it’s good to know that in addition to its delicious taste, it also contains some ingredients that provide health benefits.