These flapjacks make a great lunchbox treat and are packed with slow-burning carbs to get you through the afternoon. They are made with a delicious combination of oats, chocolate chips and a touch of cinnamon for a delicious taste. These chewy and chocolaty treats are perfect to satisfy your sweet cravings. Whether you enjoy them as a midday snack or with a cup of tea, these chocolate flapjacks are sure to delight your taste buds. Treat yourself to the deliciousness of chocolate while fueling your body with a healthy treat!
- 50g butter
- 50g clear honey
- ½ amount of Honey Crunch muesli (see “Suitable”)
- 100 g dark chocolate, half cut into small pieces, half melted
- First prepare the Honey Crunch muesli with almonds and apricots (see “Suitable”). For this recipe you need half the granola.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/170°C fan/Gas 5 and line a baking tin (15 x 20cm or 18cm square) with baking paper.
- Melt butter and honey in a large skillet.
- Stir in the granola and chocolate chips, making sure everything is well coated.
- Pour the flatbread mixture into the pan and press it very firmly (a potato masher works well here).
- Cover with foil or more parchment paper and then bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Allow to cool in the tin and then drizzle with the melted chocolate.
- Once set, cut into 8 portions.
- Store in an airtight container for 3 days.
Equipment and tools
To make these delicious chocolate flapjacks you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Baking tray (20cm x 20cm)
- wooden spoon
- mixing bowl
- cutting board
The chocolate flapjacks may contain the following allergens:
- Granola (may contain nuts and other allergens)
- Dark chocolate (may contain milk and soy)
Please check individual ingredient labels for information regarding allergens or possible cross-contamination risks.
Storage and leftovers
Once prepared, the chocolate flapjacks can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
If you have leftovers, you can wrap them individually in plastic wrap or store them in a sealed container to enjoy later. They can also be frozen for up to 3 months, just thaw before serving.
The Health Benefits of Chocolate Flapjacks
Flapjacks are a delicious treat that many enjoy for their sweet and filling taste. When it comes to chocolate flapjacks, the combination of rich chocolate and chewy oats makes for a truly irresistible treat. But did you know that chocolate flapjacks can also offer some surprising health benefits?
1. Energy boost
Thanks to the combination of oats and honey, chocolate flapjacks provide a quick and lasting energy boost. Oats are a complex carbohydrate that slowly releases energy, helping you stay energized throughout the day. Honey, on the other hand, is a natural sweetener packed with essential nutrients that can give you an instant energy boost.
2. Heart-healthy ingredients
Both oats and dark chocolate are associated with heart health benefits in moderation. Oats contain a type of fiber called beta-glucan, which has been shown to help lower cholesterol. Dark chocolate, especially the one melted in this recipe, contains flavonoids, which may reduce the risk of heart disease by improving blood flow and lowering blood pressure.
3. Antioxidant power
Chocolate flapjacks deliver a dose of antioxidants from the dark chocolate. Antioxidants help protect the body from damage caused by harmful molecules called free radicals. Dark chocolate is known to be particularly rich in antioxidants, which can have positive effects on overall health and well-being.
4. Mood enhancer
Enjoying a chocolate-flavored treat like flapjacks can have a mood-boosting effect. Chocolate contains various compounds that stimulate the production of endorphins, also known as “feel-good hormones.” In addition, the sweetness and soothing taste of chocolate can provide a moment of pleasure and relaxation.
5. Nourishing nutrients
Despite being a dessert-like treat, chocolate flapjacks still contain some valuable nutrients. Oats are a good source of fiber, which aids digestion and keeps you feeling fuller for longer. The addition of butter and honey provides essential fats and natural sugars to keep your body nourished and satisfied.
So next time you’re craving a sweet treat, treat yourself to some homemade chocolate flapjacks. Not only do they satisfy your taste buds, but they also offer surprising health benefits.