Treat yourself to heaven with this delicious recipe for a chocolate cake with passion fruit glaze. As the winner of the prestigious Great British Bake Off, Jo Wheatley brings her exceptional skills to create a never-fail sponge cake that is sure to impress. Each layer is heavenly juicy and rich, coated in a tangy and refreshing butter glaze, infused with the vibrant flavors of passion fruit. This delicious combination promises a delicious explosion of flavor and texture that will leave you wanting more. So get ready to up your baking game and amaze your taste buds with this irresistible masterpiece.
- 175g unsalted butter, softened, plus a little butter for greasing
- 300g golden powdered sugar
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 75g self-raising flour
- 200g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 75g cocoa
- 200 ml sour cream, at room temperature
- 50 g full-fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- 250g unsalted butter, softened
- 500g powdered sugar
- 150g full-fat cream cheese
- 3 very ripe passion fruits
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas. 4. Grease the bottom of a 20 cm springform pan and line it with baking paper.
- Mix the butter and icing sugar together until the mixture is light, light and fluffy – the easiest way to do this is with a stand mixer or an electric hand mixer.
- Gradually add the egg, one at a time, beating well between each addition.
- Sift both flours, baking soda and cocoa into a bowl.
- Add half of the sifted dry ingredients to the egg mixture and fold in with a large metal spoon.
- In another bowl, stir together sour cream and cream cheese until smooth.
- Add half of the sour cream mixture to the cake batter and fold in.
- Repeat the process with the remaining flour and sour cream and stir until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan.
- Bake on the middle rack for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning it out onto a wire rack and removing the baking paper.
- In the meantime, make the glaze.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter until light and soft.
- Add the powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
- Add the cream cheese and mix again.
- Strain the passion fruit juice, collecting the pulp and seeds.
- Add the juice to the glaze.
- To assemble, divide the cake into three even layers and place the bottom layer on a cake stand or plate.
- Spread a third of the icing on the bottom layer and spread it towards the edges.
- Repeat with remaining 2 layers of cake and frosting, finishing with a layer of frosting.
- Top with the pulp and seeds of the passion fruit.
- Serve immediately.
- Will keep for 3 days refrigerated – but bring back to room temperature before serving.
Equipment and tools
- mixing bowls
- Electric mixer
- Two 20 cm (8 inch) cake tins
- Cooling rack
- saw knife
- Offset spatula
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- Flour (both self-raising and plain)
- sour cream
- Cream cheese (both high-fat and low-fat)
Please check the packaging of the ingredients used to ensure they are free of allergens that you or your guests may be sensitive to.
Storage and leftovers
If there are any leftovers, you can store the chocolate cake with passion fruit glaze in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It stays fresh for up to 3 days. Bring the cake to room temperature before serving. Enjoy!
The Health Benefits of Chocolate Layer Cake with Passionfruit Frosting
Who doesn’t love treating themselves to a rich and decadent chocolate cake? Well, good news! This chocolate layer cake with passionfruit frosting not only satisfies your sweet tooth, but it also offers some surprising health benefits. Let’s dive into the reasons why treating yourself to a piece of this delicious cake can be good for you:
1. Rich in antioxidants
Dark chocolate, the main ingredient in this cake, is full of antioxidants. These powerful compounds help protect our cells from free radical damage, which can contribute to aging and certain diseases. The higher the cocoa content in chocolate, the greater the antioxidant benefits.
2. Boosts mood and happiness
Chocolate contains a compound called phenylethylamine (PEA), which is often referred to as the “love chemical.” PEA stimulates the release of endorphins, neurotransmitters that produce feelings of happiness and pleasure. Enjoying a slice of this cake can certainly lift your spirits and provide a temporary mood boost.
3. Source of essential nutrients
Not only is this cake a delicious treat, but it also contains some important nutrients. One of these is calcium, which is found in full-fat cream cheese. Calcium is crucial for maintaining strong bones and teeth. Additionally, the passion fruits used in the glaze are a good source of vitamins A and C, which play an important role in supporting the immune system and promoting healthy skin.
4. Provides energy
The combination of sugar and carbohydrates contained in this cake can provide a quick energy boost. While it’s important to consume sugary treats in moderation, enjoying a slice of this cake after a strenuous workout or on a busy day can help replenish your energy reserves.
5. Improves brain function
Research suggests that the antioxidants found in chocolate may have positive effects on brain health. Cocoa contains flavonoids, which can improve blood flow to the brain, improve cognitive function, and even protect against age-related mental decline. So treating yourself to a piece of this cake could have some benefits for your brain.
Incorporating treats like this Chocolate Cake with Passion Fruit Glaze into a balanced diet can be a wonderful way to enjoy health benefits in addition to the wonderful taste. Remember to enjoy it in moderation and savor every bite!