These vibrant chickpea nut burgers with sweet potato chips are a must for vegetarian burger lovers. Packed with flavor and texture, these burgers can be enjoyed hot or cold, making them a versatile choice for any occasion. For a special touch, form small balls from the mixture and turn them into aromatic falafel. Served alongside crunchy and healthy sweet potato chips, this recipe makes a healthy and filling meal. Whether you’re a vegetarian, flexitarian, or simply want to incorporate more plant-based options into your diet, these burgers will impress you with their delicious taste and easy preparation.
- 1 small red onion, roughly chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and halved
- 25g mixed nuts, such as Brazil nuts, almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts and pecans
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 400 g canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 25g plain wholemeal flour
- 1 small package of coriander
- 1 lemon, ½ juiced plus ½ cut into wedges, for serving
- 2 tsp cold-pressed rapeseed oil
- 300 g sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into long wedges
- 1 teaspoon cold-pressed rapeseed oil
- 50g bag of mixed spinach, watercress and rocket salad
- 2 ripe tomatoes, cut into wedges
- ? Cucumber, sliced
- 2 spring onions, cleaned and finely chopped
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 50 g full-fat natural organic yogurt
- 2 tbsp finely chopped mint
- To make the yogurt sauce, mix the yogurt and mint in a bowl, cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas. 7. Half fill a medium pot with water and bring to a boil. Add the sweet potato wedges and cook for 4 minutes, then drain through a sieve and return to the pot. Pour over the oil, stir until lightly coated, then season with ground black pepper.
- Spread the potatoes on a small baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and flip, then cook for another 10 minutes until soft and lightly browned.
- While the chips are cooking, prepare the burgers. Place onions, garlic, nuts and spices in a food processor and add plenty of freshly ground black pepper. Puree until it is as smooth as possible. Add chickpeas, flour, coriander and lemon juice and puree until a thick paste forms. It shouldn’t be too smooth as you want some consistency that will give the burgers some bite. Form the mixture into 4 balls and flatten them into burgers about 2 cm/3/4 inch deep.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a medium nonstick skillet over low heat and fry the burgers on one side for 5 minutes. Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the pan and turn over. Fry on the other side for another 5 minutes until nicely browned and cooked through. Keep the heat low so they don’t burn.
- Divide lettuce leaves, tomatoes, cucumbers and spring onions between two plates.
- Add the burgers, chips and mint sauce, plus a few lemon wedges for squeezing.
- Drizzle the balsamic vinegar over the salad and serve.
Equipment and tools
To make these chickpea nut burgers with sweet potato chips, you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Knife and cutting board
- Food processor or blender
- frying pan
- Spatula or flipper
Please note that this recipe contains the following allergens:
Be sure to check the ingredients used for potential allergens and adjust the recipe accordingly.
Storage and leftovers
If you have any leftovers from these Chickpea Nut Burgers with Sweet Potato Chips, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Before enjoying, reheat the burgers in a frying pan or oven.
Health Benefits of Chickpea Nut Burgers with Sweet Potato Chips
Chickpea Nut Burgers with Sweet Potato Chips are not only a delicious and filling meal but also offer several health benefits. This vegetarian dish is packed with nutritious ingredients that contain a range of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants to support a healthy diet.
1. Chickpeas for protein and fiber
The main ingredient in these burgers is chickpeas, which are an excellent source of plant-based protein and fiber. Protein plays a crucial role in building and repairing tissue, while fiber promotes digestion and helps maintain a healthy weight. Including chickpeas in your diet may also contribute to improved heart health and stabilized blood sugar levels.
2. Mixed nuts for healthy fats
The addition of mixed nuts not only enhances the flavor but also provides a dose of healthy fats. Nuts like Brazil nuts, almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts and pecans are high in monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, which have been linked to a reduced risk of heart disease. These fats also help absorb certain vitamins and protect the body from inflammation.
3. Sweet potatoes for vitamins and antioxidants
The sweet potato chips in this recipe offer a healthier alternative to traditional French fries. Sweet potatoes are rich in essential vitamins such as vitamin A, vitamin C and vitamin B6, which are important for a strong immune system, healthy skin and good brain function. They’re also packed with antioxidants that help fight free radicals, reduce inflammation, and lower the risk of chronic disease.
4. Fresh herbs for extra nutrients
Using fresh coriander and mint leaves in the burger mix and yogurt sauce adds flavor and additional nutrients. Coriander is rich in vitamins A, C and K as well as various minerals, while mint contains menthol, which can aid digestion and soothe the stomach.
5. Mixed greens for essential nutrients
Made from a blend of spinach, watercress, and arugula, the salad provides a combination of essential nutrients including iron, calcium, and vitamins A and K. Low in calories and rich in antioxidants, this leafy vegetable promotes overall health and provides a well-balanced meal .
6. Tomatoes and cucumbers for hydration and vitamins
Including ripe tomatoes and cucumbers in the salad provides moisture in addition to vitamins C and K. Tomatoes are also rich in lycopene, a powerful antioxidant known for its potential health benefits, including a reduced risk of certain cancers.
Overall, the Chickpea Nut Burgers with Sweet Potato Chips recipe offers a combination of plant-based protein, fiber, healthy fats, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. This healthy dish is not only delicious but also promotes a balanced, nutrient-dense diet.