A tasty and hearty dish, chickpea curry is a delicious addition to any meal. Made from tender chickpeas cooked in a fragrant blend of spices, this curry is popular with vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike. The creamy tomato-based sauce with ginger, garlic and aromatic herbs creates a delicious mix of flavors. Pair it with fluffy basmati rice or warm naan bread for a truly satisfying experience. Whether you’re a curry fan or want to discover new culinary delights, this chickpea curry recipe will tantalize your taste buds and leave you wanting more.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh or dried chili to taste
- 9 garlic cloves (approx. 1 small garlic bulb)
- thumb-sized piece of ginger, peeled
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 x 400g cans of chickpeas, drained
- 400 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 100 g coconut cream
- ½ small packet of cilantro, chopped, plus extra for garnish
- 100g spinach
- cooked rice and/or dahl
- To make the paste, heat some oil in a frying pan, add the onion and chilli and cook until softened, about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, coarsely mix the garlic, ginger and remaining oil in a food processor, then add the spices, tomato puree, 1/2 teaspoon salt and the fried onion.
- Mix to form a smooth paste – add a drop of water or more oil if necessary.
- In a medium saucepan, cook the paste over medium-high heat for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Add the chickpeas and chopped tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes until reduced.
- Add the coconut with a little water and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add cilantro and spinach and cook until wilted.
- Garnish with additional cilantro.
- Serve with rice or dhal (or both).
Equipment and tools
- Big pot
- Mixing spoon
- measuring spoon
- tin opener
This chickpea curry recipe contains the following allergens:
Storage and leftovers
Leftover chickpea curry can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat thoroughly before serving.
Health Benefits of Chickpea Curry
Chickpea curry is a delicious and nutritious dish full of health benefits. Not only is it rich in flavor, but it also provides numerous essential nutrients that contribute to a healthy diet. Let’s explore the health benefits of this delicious curry.
1. Good source of protein
Chickpeas, the main ingredient in chickpea curry, are an excellent source of plant-based protein. Protein is essential for building and repairing tissue, promoting healthy hair and nails, and supporting overall growth and development.
2. Rich in fiber
Thanks to the addition of chickpeas and spinach, this curry is also rich in fiber. Fiber supports digestion, prevents constipation and helps maintain a healthy weight. It also helps regulate blood sugar levels and lower cholesterol levels, thereby reducing the risk of heart disease.
3. Packed with vitamins and minerals
Chickpea curry contains several vitamins and minerals, including vitamin C, vitamin A and iron. Vitamin C strengthens the immune system, promotes healthy skin and helps absorb iron from plant sources. Vitamin A is essential for good vision and supports a healthy immune system. Iron is crucial for transporting oxygen in the body and preventing anemia.
4. Rich in antioxidants
The spices used in chickpea curry, such as coriander, cumin and garam masala, contain antioxidants that protect the body from free radicals. Antioxidants play a critical role in reducing the risk of chronic diseases, including heart disease, cancer and certain inflammatory diseases.
5. Supports weight management
Chickpea curry can be a great addition to a weight control diet. The combination of protein, fiber and complex carbohydrates in chickpeas and other ingredients increases feelings of fullness and satisfaction and reduces the likelihood of overeating or snacking between meals.
Overall, enjoying a serving of the spicy chickpea curry can provide a number of health benefits. From its protein and fiber content to its vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, this dish is a fantastic choice for anyone looking to incorporate nutritious and delicious meals into their diet.
Remember to serve your chickpea curry with cooked rice and/or dahl for a complete and filling meal!