Introducing our irresistible recipe for chicken with mustard butter, tarragon, peas and carrots! This all-in-one roast is a quick and easy dish that can be on your table in under two hours. The juicy chicken is coated in a delicious mustard and butter mixture infused with the aromatic flavors of tarragon. Alongside the chicken, we’ve added a delicious blend of robust peas and tender carrots, creating a perfect balance of flavors. Cook two birds at once and you’ll have an effortless dinner party feast. Plus, the leftovers make absolutely fantastic sandwiches for a delicious lunch the next day.
- 1 heaped teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 140 g butter, soft
- 2 chickens, each approx. 1½kg/3lb 5oz
- Whole garlic bulb, cut in half
- 175 ml white wine
- 300 ml chicken broth
- 500g bag of Chantenay or baby carrots
- a small handful each of chopped tarragon and parsley
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6.
- Mix mustard and butter, then season well.
- Place the chickens in a large roasting pan. Then, starting at the end of the neck, use your fingers to pull the skin away from the breast and thigh meat.
- Stuff the butter under the skin, reserving 1 tablespoon for later.
- Place half of the garlic bulb in each well.
- Season generously, cover with foil, then roast for 1 hour, uncovered for the final 20 minutes, until crispy and golden brown.
- Lift the birds onto a board, place the pan on the stove and splash in the wine.
- Allow to simmer for 5 minutes, scraping up the pieces of meat with a wooden spoon, then add the stock and bring to the boil.
- Add the carrots, cover with foil, then cook for 5 minutes. You can do this in advance.
- Add the peas and simmer for a few minutes until soft.
- Shortly before serving, stir in the reserved mustard butter, the chopped herbs and the remaining juice and season to taste.
- If you want, put everything on a platter and bring it to the table – or just put the chicken back in the roasting pan.
Equipment and tools
To make this mustard butter chicken recipe, you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Baking dish or roasting pan
- Garlic press
- Basting brush
This mustard butter chicken recipe may contain the following allergens:
- butter (milk)
- Chicken broth (potential allergens depending on brand)
Please review the specific ingredients and products you use to ensure they are appropriate for your dietary needs.
Storage and leftovers
Once the leftover mustard butter chicken is ready, it can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. To reheat, place the chicken in a preheated 350°F (180°C) oven for about 15-20 minutes or until heated through.
If desired, you can also freeze leftovers. Allow the chicken to cool completely before transferring to a freezer-safe container or bag. It will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months. Allow the chicken to thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
The health benefits of chicken with mustard butter, tarragon, peas and carrots
When it comes to healthy and delicious meals, it’s hard to beat the combination of tender chicken, bold vegetables and a flavorful sauce. One such delicious dish that ticks all the boxes is chicken with mustard butter, tarragon, peas and carrots. This recipe not only offers a delicious culinary experience, but also offers numerous health benefits thanks to its healthy ingredients.
1. Dijon mustard
Using Dijon mustard in this recipe adds a spicy touch to the dish. It not only improves the taste but also offers several health benefits. Mustard is known to be rich in antioxidants, which can help reduce inflammation in the body. It also contains a compound called “isothiocyanates,” which has been shown to have anticancer properties.
Although butter is often associated with indulgence, when consumed in moderation it can have some surprising health benefits. Butter is a good source of fat-soluble vitamins like vitamin A and vitamin E. It also contains conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), which has been linked to potential weight loss and improved body composition.
Chicken is a lean source of protein that is essential for the growth and repair of body tissues. It is also an excellent source of various vitamins and minerals, including vitamin B6 and niacin, which support brain function and promote heart health. Additionally, chicken is lower in saturated fat compared to red meat, making it a healthier choice for individuals concerned about their cholesterol levels.
A whole garlic bulb adds depth and flavor to this dish. Garlic has long been celebrated for its potential health benefits. It contains a compound called allicin, which has antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties. Garlic is also believed to strengthen the immune system, lower blood pressure and improve cholesterol levels.
5. White wine
White wine not only gives the sauce a delicious taste, but also offers some health benefits when consumed in moderation. It contains antioxidants like resveratrol, which have been linked to a reduced risk of heart disease. Additionally, some studies suggest that moderate wine consumption may have a positive impact on cognitive function and longevity.
6. Chantenay or baby carrots
Carrots are full of essential nutrients and are an excellent source of beta-carotene, which the body converts into vitamin A. Vitamin A is crucial for maintaining good vision, a healthy immune system and promoting cell growth. Carrots are also rich in fiber, which aids digestion and helps maintain a healthy weight.
7. Tarragon and parsley
The addition of tarragon and parsley not only enhances the flavor of this dish but also provides some health benefits. Tarragon is an herb with antioxidant properties and is known to have antibacterial and anti-inflammatory effects. Parsley, on the other hand, is rich in vitamins K, C and A as well as folic acid and iron, making it a nutritious addition to any meal.
By including these nutritious ingredients in Chicken with Mustard Butter, Tarragon, Peas and Carrots, you can enjoy a delicious and healthy dish that not only satisfies your taste buds but also contributes to your overall well-being.