This delicious and refreshing lemon honey chicken recipe is an absolute crowd pleaser. The tender chicken is marinated in a zesty lemon-honey mixture and provides an explosion of flavor with every bite.
Not only is this dish incredibly delicious, it also requires minimal effort to prepare. Simply marinate the chicken, pop it in the fridge, and let the flavors meld together overnight.
The best thing about this recipe is that it’s low in fat, making it a guilt-free option for anyone watching their calorie intake. So treat yourself to this delicious dish knowing that it is both healthy and delicious!
- 6-8 skinless, boneless chicken breast fillets (about 1kg total)
- 2 tbsp clear honey
- grated zest of 2 lemons and the juice of 1
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 salad, e.g. B. Batavia or Webb’s
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/gas 5/fan 170.
- Arrange the chicken in a shallow ovenproof dish.
- Mix honey, lemon zest and juice, oil, salt and pepper.
- Pour the mixture over the chicken breasts.
- Turn the chicken breasts over until well coated.
- Roast the chicken breasts for 40-45 minutes.
- Turn the chicken breasts halfway through the cooking time.
- Baste the chicken breasts occasionally.
- Continue frying until the chicken is golden brown and shiny.
- Allow the marinade to almost evaporate.
- Allow the chicken to cool.
- Wrap the chicken in foil and refrigerate until ready to eat.
- On the day of serving, spread the salad on a large platter.
- Tear up any large leaves.
- Slice the chicken breasts and keep them together.
- Arrange the chicken slices on the salad.
Equipment and tools
For this recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Large mixing bowl
- baking pan
- Basting brush
- measuring spoon
This Lemon Honey Chicken recipe may contain allergens. Please note the following potential allergens:
- Chicken breast
- olive oil
If you or someone you are cooking for has allergies or dietary restrictions, please check ingredient labels carefully or consult a healthcare professional.
Storage and leftovers
Leftover lemon honey chicken can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, place the chicken in a preheated 350°F (175°C) oven for about 10 minutes or until heated through. Alternatively, you can enjoy the leftovers cold in salads or sandwiches.
Health Benefits of Lemon Honey Chicken
Lemon honey chicken is not only a delicious dish but also offers several health benefits. The combination of lemon and honey not only enhances the taste, but also provides numerous nutrients that promote general well-being. Let’s take a closer look at the health benefits of this delicious chicken dish:
1. Rich in protein
The skinless, boneless chicken breasts used in this recipe are an excellent source of lean protein. Protein is essential for building and repairing tissue, supporting muscle growth, and maintaining a healthy immune system.
2. Rich in antioxidants
Lemons are rich in vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant that protects the body from free radicals. It also supports immune function and helps the body absorb iron from plant sources. The grated lemon peel used in this recipe adds a touch of citrus flavor and an extra dose of antioxidants.
3. Immune-boosting properties
Honey is known for its immune-boosting properties due to its antibacterial and antifungal effects. It contains antioxidants and enzymes proven to support the immune system, soothe sore throats, and promote overall well-being.
4. Heart healthy
Olive oil, used as a marinade in this recipe, is rich in heart-healthy monounsaturated fats. These fats, when consumed in moderation, can help lower bad cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease.
5. Low calorie
For those who are watching their calorie intake, this lemon and honey chicken recipe is a good choice. Skinless, boneless chicken breasts are low in calories but high in protein, making them a nutritious option for weight management.
6. Nutritious salad
Coleslaw such as Batavia or Webb’s included in this recipe adds a refreshing crunch and increases the nutritional value of the dish. Salads are low in calories, have a high water content and are full of important vitamins and minerals.
Overall, lemon honey chicken is a tasty and nutritious dish that offers a number of health benefits. From providing high-quality proteins to immune-boosting properties, this recipe is an excellent addition to a healthy and balanced diet. Try adding this delicious dish to your diet for a flavorful and nutritious experience.