Make these irresistible chicken tikka pies for your next picnic. This aromatic pastry is perfect to take with you wherever you go. Inspired by the intense and aromatic spices of a chicken tikka slice, they are sure to tantalize your taste buds.
Packed with juicy tender chicken pieces, vibrant vegetables and a blend of aromatic spices, these pies are a treat for the eyes and taste buds. The crispy dough shell encloses a delicious filling that leaves you wanting more.
Whether you’re planning a family trip, a romantic day at the park, or just need a delicious snack on the go, these Chicken Tikka Pasties are the perfect choice. Easy to prepare and convenient to pack, they promise a flavor explosion that will take you to foodie heaven with every bite.
- ½ tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely grated or crushed
- thumb-sized piece of ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into small pieces
- 5 tbsp tikka curry paste
- 227 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp light brown soft sugar
- 100 ml cream
- 350g flour, plus some flour for dusting
- 175g cold, unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1 tsp caraway (optional)
- 1 tsp cumin (optional)
- 1 egg yolk (freeze the white for another recipe) plus 1 beaten egg
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat and fry the onions until softened, about 6-8 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and ginger and cook for another minute before stirring in the chicken pieces.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes until the chicken is golden brown all over.
- Add the curry paste, stir and then mix in the chopped tomatoes and brown sugar.
- Cook for 10-12 minutes until the liquid is reduced and a fairly dry curry forms.
- Stir in the cream and cook for another 5 minutes until slightly thickened – you want the sauce to be thick so it doesn’t seep out of the finished pie.
- Let cool down.
- To make the dough, place the flour in a food processor along with the butter, cumin, and cumin (if using) and pulse into fine crumbs. (You can also do this in a bowl by rubbing everything together with your fingertips.)
- Stir in the egg yolk and, if necessary, a dash of cold water until a dough forms.
- Wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes while filling cools.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Roll out the chilled dough on a lightly floured surface until it is about ½ cm thick.
- Cut out discs with a 10-12cm cookie cutter or use a small plate as a template and cut out with a knife. (There should be about eight in total.)
- Place a few spoonfuls of the filling on each circle of dough, slightly off-center, then brush the filling with the beaten egg and fold the dough so that the edges meet.
- Press the edges together or seal with a fork.
- Place on a baking tray, cut a few small slits in the top of each patty, brush with the remaining beaten egg and bake for 20-25 minutes until crisp and golden brown.
- Let cool slightly and then serve.
- Can be kept refrigerated for up to three days.
Chicken Tikka Pasties
Chicken Tikka Pasties
Equipment and tools
To make these delicious chicken tikka pies, you will need the following equipment and tools:
- frying pan
- mixing bowl
- rolling pin
Please note the following allergen information for this recipe:
- This recipe contains gluten from pure flour.
- This recipe contains dairy from double cream and unsalted butter.
- This recipe contains eggs.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers or want to make these pies in advance, here are some storage tips:
- Cool pies completely before storing.
- Place the pies in an airtight container.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To reheat, place the pies in the preheated oven at 180°C (350°F) for about 10-15 minutes.
Health Benefits of Chicken Tikka Pasties
Chicken tikka pies are not only delicious but also have several health benefits. Let’s take a closer look at the ingredients and their nutritional benefits:
Chicken is an excellent source of lean protein. It provides essential amino acids that support muscle growth and repair. Protein is also beneficial for weight management because it maintains feelings of fullness for longer periods of time and reduces the temptation to eat unhealthy foods.
In addition, chicken is a good source of vitamins and minerals such as vitamin B6, which plays an important role in brain development and function, and phosphorus, which is important for healthy bones and teeth.
Onion, garlic and ginger
The combination of onions, garlic and ginger gives chicken tikka pies a wonderful flavor while providing numerous health benefits.
Onions contain antioxidants called flavonoids, which have anti-inflammatory properties and may help reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease and certain cancers. They are also a good source of vitamin C, fiber and prebiotics, which support good gut health.
Garlic has been used for its medicinal properties for centuries. It has antibacterial and antiviral effects, strengthens the immune system and can help lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels. Ginger, on the other hand, promotes digestion, reduces inflammation and can help relieve nausea and muscle pain.
Tikka curry paste
The tikka curry paste gives these pies a special flavor. While specific benefits depend on the brand and ingredients of the paste, curry spices such as turmeric, cumin, coriander, and chili powder are commonly used, offering several potential health benefits.
Turmeric, for example, contains a compound called curcumin, which has powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. It may help reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease, Alzheimer’s disease and certain types of cancer.
The chopped tomatoes in the recipe provide a rich source of lycopene, a powerful antioxidant known for its potential in preventing certain cancers, particularly prostate cancer. Tomatoes also contain vitamin C, which supports the immune system, and potassium, which has positive effects on heart health and blood pressure regulation.
Whole wheat pastries
The dough used for chicken tikka pies is made from regular flour. However, you can also opt for whole wheat flour for additional nutritional value. Whole wheat flour offers more fiber and nutrients compared to refined white flour. It supports digestion, helps maintain a healthy weight and can reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease and type 2 diabetes.
Overall, chicken tikka pies can be a nutritious and flavorful choice as they offer protein, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and potential anti-inflammatory effects.