This grab-and-go favorite is freezer-friendly and reheats quickly, helping you get ahead and save money. Originating in India, Chicken Tikka Masala is a savory dish consisting of marinated and grilled chicken pieces smothered in a creamy tomato sauce. The juicy chicken pieces are seasoned to perfection with an aromatic spice mixture, creating a delicious explosion of flavor. Whether enjoyed with fragrant basmati rice, naan bread or with cooling raita, this recipe is a guaranteed crowd-pleaser that will transport your taste buds to exotic destinations.
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 25g butter
- 4 onions, coarsely chopped
- 6 tablespoons chicken tikka masala paste (use store-bought or make your own – see recipe below)
- 2 red peppers, deseeded and cut into pieces
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2½ cm cubes
- 2 x 400g cans of chopped tomatoes
- 4 tbsp tomato paste
- 2-3 tbsp mango chutney
- 150 ml double cream
- 150 ml natural yogurt
- chopped coriander leaves for serving
Make your own curry paste
Puree everything in a small food processor
5 cloves of garlic, 1 large piece of fresh garlic
Ginger root, roughly chopped, 1 red
Chili, deseeded and roughly chopped,
2 teaspoons each ground cumin and coriander,
1 teaspoon each of turmeric, paprika and
Garam Masala and its seeds
4 cardamom pods. Add some water or
vegetable oil to bring the paste together.
Can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 months
1 week or frozen for up to 1 month.Freezing tips
To freeze the curry safely, cool it as quickly as possible
possible, then freeze immediately
completely cooled down. Share in
freezer-safe containers, or
Use takeout containers. To avoid freezer burn, be careful
All chicken pieces are well covered
with sauce. This curry will freeze
good for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
Once completely thawed, gently reheat
to prevent the yogurt from bursting. Make sure it is always hot
Allow to steep before serving.
- Heat oil and butter in a large casserole dish with a lid on the stove
- Add onions and a pinch of salt
- Cook the onions for 15-20 minutes until soft and golden brown
- Add the paste and peppers, then cook for another 5 minutes to cook out the rawness of the spices
- Add the chicken and stir well to coat with the paste
- Let the chicken cook for 2 minutes
- Add tomatoes, puree and 200 ml water to the casserole
- Cover the casserole with a lid and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through, 15 minutes
- Remove the lid and stir together the mango chutney, cream and yogurt
- Warm the mixture gently
- Season the dish with salt and pepper
- Set aside part of the mold to freeze
- Sprinkle the remaining mixture with coriander leaves
- Serve the dish with basmati rice and naan bread
Equipment and tools
To make Chicken Tikka Masala you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Small food processor
- wooden spoon
- cutting board
- measuring spoon
- measuring cup
- tin opener
Please note that the Chicken Tikka Masala recipe may contain allergens. Check the following ingredients for potential allergens:
- Chicken Tikka Masala Paste (may contain allergens, see label)
- Mango chutney (may contain allergens, check label)
- Double cream (may contain dairy products)
- Natural yogurt (may contain dairy products)
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftover Chicken Tikka Masala, follow these storage and reheating instructions:
- Allow the curry to cool as quickly as possible.
- Once completely cooled, divide into freezer-safe containers or take-out containers.
- To avoid freezer burn, make sure all chicken pieces are well coated with sauce.
- The curry can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- To defrost, place the curry in the fridge and let it thaw overnight.
- Once the yogurt has completely thawed, warm it gently to prevent it from bursting.
- Make sure the curry is piping hot before serving.
The Health Benefits of Chicken Tikka Masala
Chicken Tikka Masala is a popular Indian dish known for its rich and spicy sauce. It combines juicy pieces of chicken with a fragrant blend of spices, tomatoes and yogurt. Not only is it delicious but it also offers various health benefits.
1. High protein content
The main ingredient in Chicken Tikka Masala is of course chicken. Chicken is an excellent source of high-quality protein, essential for building and repairing tissue. Protein also helps you feel full and satisfied, making it an excellent option if you want to control your weight.
2. Antioxidant-rich spices
The blend of spices used in Chicken Tikka Masala such as cumin, coriander, turmeric, paprika and garam masala contains a variety of antioxidants. Antioxidants help protect your body from harmful free radicals and reduce inflammation, which has positive effects on overall health and can prevent chronic disease.
3. Vitamins and minerals
The dish also contains onions, red peppers, garlic, ginger and cardamom pods, all of which provide various vitamins and minerals. For example, onions are a great source of vitamin C, while garlic and ginger offer immune-boosting properties. Red peppers are rich in vitamin C and contain a decent amount of vitamin A and potassium.
4. Tomatoes and lycopene
The sauce in Chicken Tikka Masala is made from chopped tomatoes and tomato puree. Tomatoes are a great source of lycopene, a powerful antioxidant that has been linked to a reduced risk of certain cancers, heart disease and eye diseases such as age-related macular degeneration.
5. Probiotics from yogurt
Adding natural yogurt to Chicken Tikka Masala not only ensures a creamy consistency but also provides probiotics. Probiotics are beneficial bacteria that can improve digestion, support a healthy gut, and strengthen the immune system.
Overall, Chicken Tikka Masala can be a nutritious choice as part of a balanced diet. It provides a good amount of proteins, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals while making for a delicious and filling meal.