This delicious Chicken Tagine with Spiced Brussels Sprouts and Feta is a flavorful and filling dish from Joe Wicks. The combination of earthy, sweet and spicy flavors are perfectly balanced in this festive stew.
Tender chicken thighs and hearty chickpeas are the main ingredients that make this tagine rich and filling. The seasoned Brussels sprouts add a wonderful touch and round off the dish with its unique taste. To top it all off, the addition of feta cheese gives this delicious recipe a creamy and tangy touch.
Make this dish and treat yourself to a comforting and festive meal that will leave everyone wanting more!
- 1 ½ tbsp coconut oil
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 10 chicken thigh fillets (boneless and skinless)
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp smoked paprika powder
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 250 ml chicken stock
- 6 dried apricots, halved
- 175g canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 275g Brussels sprouts, chopped
- 50g feta
- ½ small bunch of coriander, roughly chopped
- Heat 1 tablespoon coconut oil in a large ovenproof baking dish over medium heat.
- Add onion, pepper and garlic to the melted and hot coconut oil.
- Cook, stirring regularly, for 3-4 minutes or until vegetables begin to soften.
- Increase the heat to maximum and add the chicken thighs.
- Fry everything together for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle the spices over it and press in the tomato puree.
- Fry everything together, stirring almost constantly, for 1 minute.
- Pour in the broth and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer and partially cover with a lid.
- After 30 minutes, add the dried apricots and chickpeas.
- Continue simmering for another 10 minutes.
- In a separate skillet, heat the remaining 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil over high heat.
- Add cumin to the melted oil and toast for 10 seconds.
- Add grated Brussels sprouts to the pan.
- Fry the sprouts over high heat, stirring almost constantly, for 5 minutes.
- The sprouts should be soft and browned in places.
- Serve the tagine in a large bowl.
- Scatter the fried sprouts over the tagine.
- Sprinkle the feta cheese over the tagine.
- Finally garnish with coriander.
Equipment and tools
To prepare this recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Large frying pan
- Sharp knife
- measuring spoon
- wooden spoon
- Small bowl
- tin opener
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- Dairy products – feta cheese
Please note that this recipe may also come into contact with other common allergens during preparation. Therefore, it is important to take necessary precautions when dealing with food allergies.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply heat in the microwave or warm in a skillet until warmed through. It is important to consume leftovers within the recommended time to ensure their quality and safety.
The Health Benefits of Chicken Tagine with Seasoned Brussels Sprouts and Feta
The Chicken Tagine with Seasoned Brussels Sprouts and Feta recipe is not only delicious but also offers numerous health benefits. The combination of nutrient-rich ingredients makes this dish a nutritious choice for a balanced diet. Let’s examine the health benefits of each component:
This recipe uses coconut oil for cooking. Unlike other cooking oils, coconut oil is rich in medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs), which can boost metabolism and promote weight loss.
Red onions are rich in antioxidants, including quercetin, which has anti-inflammatory properties. They also provide fiber, supporting digestive health.
Red peppers are an excellent source of vitamins A and C, which are essential for boosting the immune system and maintaining healthy skin. They also contain lycopene, an antioxidant known to reduce the risk of certain cancers.
Garlic not only adds flavor to the dish but also offers numerous health benefits. It exhibits antimicrobial properties and may help lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
Chicken thigh fillets
Chicken thigh fillets are a great source of lean protein, which is necessary for muscle growth and repair. They also provide essential amino acids and minerals like iron and zinc that support overall health.
Cinnamon is known for its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. It can help stabilize blood sugar levels, making it beneficial for people with diabetes or insulin resistance.
Turmeric contains curcumin, a compound with powerful anti-inflammatory effects. It is also believed to have antioxidant properties and may contribute to brain health.
Smoked paprika gives the tagine a savory flavor and contains capsaicin, which can aid digestion and boost metabolism.
Tomato puree is a concentrated source of lycopene, known to reduce the risk of certain cancers and promote heart health.
Dried apricots add a natural sweetness to the dish. They are also a rich source of fiber, potassium and vitamin A and support healthy digestion and eye health.
Chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans, are rich in plant protein and fiber. They promote satiety, can help control blood sugar levels and support digestive health.
In addition to providing a warm, earthy flavor, cumin seeds also provide several health benefits. They can aid digestion, improve blood cholesterol and triglyceride levels, and have antioxidant properties.
The Brussels sprouts
Brussels sprouts are packed with nutrients including vitamins C, K and folic acid. They also contain fiber and antioxidants, which contribute to a healthy immune system and can help fight chronic diseases.
Although consumed in moderation, feta cheese provides calcium, protein and probiotics to support bone and gut health respectively.
Cilantro, also known as cilantro, adds a fresh and lively touch to the dish. It is packed with antioxidants, fiber and vitamins A, C and K.