Treat yourself to the delicious taste of our herb chicken skewers, a super healthy dish full of healthy goodness. Juicy pieces of chicken marinated in fragrant herbs are threaded onto skewers and cooked to perfection, resulting in tender and juicy morsels. Paired with a delicious no-cook relish full of fresh ingredients, this recipe is a delicious blend of flavors and textures that will tantalize your taste buds. With their vibrant presentation and low calorie content, our herbed chicken skewers make for a guilt-free yet filling meal that everyone will love.
- 500g small new potatoes – look for packets of small or small new potatoes, or pick the smallest you can find if they are sold loose
- 3 tablespoons each chopped parsley, mint and chives
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 500g skinless chicken breast, cut into 3cm pieces
- 1 red onion, peeled
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into 3cm pieces
- 1 lemon, cut into 8 wedges
- 8 ripe tomatoes – vine tomatoes tend to have the best flavor
- 2 green chili peppers, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 small cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- If using wooden or bamboo skewers, soak eight of them in cold water for about half an hour.
- Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water for 10-12 minutes until just tender, then drain and allow to cool.
- Mix herbs, oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Add the chicken and potatoes to the bowl and mix well until everything is glossy.
- Cut the onion into 6 wedges and then separate the layers on each wedge.
- Add the onion and pepper to the marinade and mix thoroughly.
- For the relish, halve the tomatoes, remove the seeds and chop the flesh finely.
- Mix tomatoes, chilies, garlic, oil, vinegar, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Thread the chicken, potatoes, peppers and onions onto 8 skewers and garnish each with a lemon wedge.
- Grill the skewers directly over medium-high heat for 5-6 minutes on each side until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve the skewers stacked on a platter with the tomato relish.
Equipment and tools
To prepare chicken skewers with herbs, you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Skewers (metal or wood)
- Sharp knife
- Mixing spoon
- Grill or grill
- measuring spoon
- measuring cup
Please note that the Herbed Chicken Skewers recipe contains the following allergens:
- Chicken breast
If you or any of your guests suffer from allergies or dietary restrictions, be sure to substitute or omit these ingredients as needed.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers from your herbed chicken skewers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To reheat leftovers, either warm them in the microwave for a minute or two or gently heat them in a skillet on the stove.
Before you eat the leftovers, always make sure that they are thoroughly warmed through. Discard any leftovers left at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
Note: The texture and flavor of the chicken may change slightly after cooling and reheating.
Health Benefits of Herbal Chicken Skewers
Herbed chicken skewers are not only delicious but also offer numerous health benefits. Let’s explore the nutritional benefits of the main ingredients used in this recipe.
New potatoes are a nutritious source of carbohydrates, fiber and vitamins. They provide essential minerals like potassium, which help maintain a healthy heart and regulate blood pressure.
Parsley, mint and chives
The combination of fresh herbs like parsley, mint and chives gives the herbed chicken skewers both flavor and health benefits. Parsley is rich in antioxidants and vitamin C, supporting immune function and reducing inflammation. Mint promotes digestion and can help relieve indigestion. Chives are rich in vitamins A and K and promote healthy bones and vision.
Olive oil, a cornerstone of Mediterranean cuisine, is a healthy fat that offers several benefits. It contains monounsaturated fats, which may help lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease. Olive oil is also a good source of antioxidants and vitamin E, which contribute to overall skin health and fight inflammation.
Lemon juice gives the herbed chicken skewers a spicy freshness while providing a dose of vitamin C. Vitamin C strengthens the immune system, supports collagen production and helps the body absorb iron from plant-based foods.
Skinless chicken breast
Skinless chicken breast is a lean source of protein and contains essential amino acids necessary for muscle growth and maintenance. Compared to other chicken cuts, they contain less fat, making them a healthier choice for those watching their calorie intake.
Red onion and red pepper
Red onions and red pepper not only give the skewers bright colors but also add to their nutritional value. Red onions are rich in antioxidants and contain compounds that may reduce the risk of certain cancers. Red peppers are rich in vitamin C and other antioxidants and support immune and eye health.
Lemon and tomatoes
Lemon wedges and ripe tomatoes add a touch of freshness and extra vitamin C to herbed chicken skewers. Tomatoes are also an excellent source of lycopene, an antioxidant that may help reduce the risk of heart disease and certain cancers.
Green chilies and garlic
Green chilies and garlic not only contribute to the flavor profile of herbed chicken skewers, but they also provide potential health benefits. Green chilies are rich in capsaicin, a compound that can boost metabolism and help with weight control. Garlic contains sulfur compounds that have been linked to various health benefits, including cardiovascular health and immune system support.
White wine vinegar
White wine vinegar used to marinate the chicken adds acidity and flavor. It also contains antioxidants and acetic acid, which can help control blood sugar levels and aid digestion.
By incorporating these ingredients into your herbed chicken skewers, you can create a delicious and nutritious meal that will contribute to your overall well-being.