“Chicken skewers with broad bean hummus are a delicious and versatile recipe that puts a twist on traditional hummus. For those looking for variety, swapping chickpeas for broad beans in hummus is a unique and delicious alternative. And if you’re lucky enough to have sunny weather, why not cook outside? These skewers can easily be grilled to add an extra layer of smoky flavor. Perfect for a summer gathering or weeknight dinner, this recipe is sure to impress with its vibrant flavors and easy preparation.”
- 1 tbsp olive or rapeseed oil
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika powder
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 clove of garlic, finely grated
- 4 skinless chicken breast fillets (approx. 650 g), diced
- 640g frozen baby broad beans
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 red onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 vine tomatoes, sliced
- 200g cucumber, halved and sliced
- Mix the oil, oregano, paprika, lemon juice and garlic in a bowl with some black pepper and a pinch of salt.
- Add the chicken to the bowl and stir well to coat with the marinade.
- Thread the chicken onto four metal skewers and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine onions and lemon juice and set aside.
- To make the hummus, boil the broad beans in 300 ml of water for 5 minutes.
- Remove the beans from the pan and reserve the water.
- Place the beans in a bowl and add the remaining hummus ingredients.
- Using a hand blender, puree the ingredients with up to 150 ml of the reserved cooking water until smooth.
- Heat the grill to high and cook the chicken skewers for 4-5 minutes on each side or until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, finish preparing the salad by mixing the tomatoes and cucumber slices with the lemon-soaked onions.
- Serve half of the hummus with two chicken skewers and half of the salad.
- Store remaining hummus in the refrigerator, where it will last for up to two days.
Equipment and tools
To prepare and cook this recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Grill or grill
- Sharp knife
- mixing bowl
- Food processor or blender
- measuring spoon
- Garlic grater or fine grater
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- sesame tahini)
Please check labels on all ingredients to ensure appropriate for your dietary needs or allergies.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. The chicken skewers and broad bean hummus can be reheated in the microwave or lightly warmed in the oven before serving.
Be sure to separate the skewers from the broad bean hummus and store them separately to preserve their texture and flavor.
The health benefits of chicken skewers with broad bean hummus
Chicken skewers with broad bean hummus are not only a delicious dish but also full of health benefits. This recipe combines the lean protein of chicken breast with a refreshing broad bean hummus to create a nutritious and flavorful meal. Let’s examine the health benefits of each ingredient.
Chicken breast is known for its high protein content. It is an excellent source of lean protein, which helps build and repair body tissue. Additionally, chicken breast is low in fat and calories, making it a good choice for anyone watching their weight or wanting to maintain a healthy weight.
Broad beans, also known as broad beans, offer numerous health benefits. They are an excellent source of fiber, which aids digestion and helps regulate bowel movements. Broad beans are also rich in folic acid, iron and B vitamins, which support red blood cell production and increase overall energy levels.
lemon and garlic
Both lemon and garlic are used in the marinade for the chicken. Lemon juice is a great source of vitamin C, which boosts immunity and supports the body’s natural defense mechanisms. Garlic, on the other hand, contains sulfur compounds that may have cardiovascular benefits and may help lower blood pressure.
Tahini is a paste made from ground sesame seeds. It is a good source of healthy fats and plant-based protein. Additionally, tahini is rich in minerals such as phosphorus, magnesium and iron, which are essential for bone health and energy production.
Spices: oregano, smoked paprika, coriander and cumin
The combination of oregano, smoked paprika, coriander and cumin not only adds delicious flavors to the dish but also provides various health benefits. Oregano is rich in antioxidants and has anti-inflammatory properties. Smoked paprika, coriander and cumin are also known for their antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects.
Vegetables: Red onions, tomatoes and cucumbers
The recipe includes chopped red onions, sliced vine tomatoes and cucumbers. These vegetables provide important vitamins and minerals while adding freshness and crunch to the dish. Red onions contain compounds with potential anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial effects. Tomatoes are rich in lycopene, an antioxidant that may help reduce the risk of certain cancers. Cucumbers are hydrating and provide a good amount of fiber.
Overall, this recipe for chicken skewers with broad bean hummus offers a well-rounded combination of proteins, fiber, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. It is a healthy and nutritious dish that can be enjoyed as part of a balanced diet.