Looking for an economical yet flavorful way to use up your leftover fried chicken? Then these delicious chicken quesadillas are for you! This easy Mexican-style snack recipe is the perfect solution to avoid food waste while satisfying your cravings. With just a few simple ingredients and minimal effort, you’ll be enjoying a deliciously cheesy, protein-packed treat in no time. The combination of tender chicken, melted cheese, and zesty Mexican flavors is sure to get your taste buds dancing. Don’t miss out on this affordable and delicious treat!
- 4 tablespoons hot salsa from a jar
- 2 large flour tortillas, seeded or plain
- 215 g canned kidney beans, drained and coarsely mashed
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- 50g leftover roast chicken, shredded (use the last of the carcass)
- 85 g grated mature cheddar
- ½ 20g pack of coriander, chopped leaves (optional)
- Oil, for brushing
Alternative filling idea
Mix the remaining fried chicken with grated cheese,
Mango chutney and chopped spring onions.Serving tip
Try serving your tortillas sliced
Add some avocado and coriander
- Spread 2 tablespoons of salsa on each tortilla.
- Top a tortilla evenly with beans, scallions, chicken and cheddar.
- Sprinkle with coriander if available.
- Sandwich with the other tortilla.
- Brush the top tortilla with oil.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan.
- Cook the tortilla, oil side down, for 4 minutes.
- Using a spatula, carefully flip the quesadilla or turn it out onto a plate and return it to the pan.
- Fry on the other side until golden brown, 2 minutes.
- Serve the chicken quesadilla cut into wedges.
Equipment and tools
To make chicken quesadillas you will need the following equipment and tools:
- frying pan
- cutting board
Please note the following allergen information:
- Flour tortillas may contain gluten.
- Hot salsa may contain traces of chili, which can cause allergies.
- Cheese can contain lactose and milk allergens.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers from your chicken quesadillas, here are some storage tips:
- Allow the quesadillas to cool completely before storing.
- Place the leftovers in an airtight container.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To reheat, simply place the quesadillas in a hot pan until warmed through.
Health Benefits of Chicken Quesadillas
Chicken quesadillas are a delicious and filling Mexican dish that can be enjoyed as a snack, appetizer, or even a main course. Chicken quesadillas are not only a tasty treat but also offer several health benefits. Let’s explore some of the nutritional benefits of this flavorful dish:
- Rich in Protein: Chicken is an excellent source of lean protein, which is essential for muscle repair and growth. Eating protein-rich foods like chicken quesadillas can help you feel fuller for longer and support a healthy metabolism.
- Good source of fiber: Incorporating kidney beans into chicken quesadillas gives the dish a fiber boost. Fiber supports digestion, promotes regular bowel movements and can help lower cholesterol levels. In addition, it helps you feel full and prevents overeating.
- Rich in calcium: Cheddar cheese, one of the main ingredients in chicken quesadillas, is a good source of calcium. Calcium is crucial for maintaining strong bones and teeth as well as supporting proper nerve function.
- Packed with vitamins and minerals: Adding green onions and cilantro to chicken quesadillas adds to their overall nutritional value. Green onions are a great source of vitamins A and C, while cilantro contains vitamins A, C, and K, as well as minerals like iron and potassium.
- A versatile dish: Chicken quesadillas can be adapted to different dietary preferences. For example, you can substitute or add ingredients like mango chutney, avocado, or lime juice to boost the flavor and improve the nutritional profile even further.
So if you’re looking for a tasty and nutritious meal, consider adding chicken quesadillas to your diet. Whether you enjoy them as a quick snack or as a full meal, you can enjoy this Mexican treat guilt-free, knowing you’re benefiting from the healthy ingredients.