This irresistible Chicken Pie with a Carrot Thatch recipe page is perfect for non-Muslim households as it contains pork. With this delicious dish, you can embark on a fun cooking adventure with children ages 5 to 9 and encourage them to get involved in preparing a healthy meal for the whole family.
- 1 large carrot or 2 small ones
- 1 large potato or 2 small ones
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 slice of cooked ham
- 3 chicken breast fillets
- 3 tablespoons frozen peas, thawed
- 4 tbsp double cream
- Ask an adult to preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan.
- Cook the carrot and potato whole for 5 minutes.
- Place the cooked carrots and potatoes in a bowl of cold water to cool.
- When cold, carefully peel the carrot and potato.
- Grate carrot and potato. If using a rotary grater, cut it into pieces first.
- In a large bowl, add the grated carrot and potato.
- Add the melted butter and mix everything together.
- Cut the ham into small pieces using scissors or a small knife.
- Also cut the chicken into pieces.
- In a cake pan, combine the chicken, ham, peas and cream.
- Stir everything so that it mixes well.
- Place the carrot straw on the cake.
- Ask your adult helper to place the pie in the oven for 50 minutes or until the chicken and toppings are cooked through.
Equipment and tools
To make this chicken pie with carrot straws, you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Baking dish or cake pan
- Knife for cutting vegetables
- Bowl for mixing ingredients
- Use a whisk or fork to mix the melted butter
This chicken pot pie contains the following allergens:
- Dairy products: butter and double cream
- Fish (optional): cooked ham
Please ensure that these allergens are suitable for you or anyone else consuming the dish.
Storage and leftovers
If you have any leftover chicken pie with carrot straw, here are some storage tips:
- Allow the cake to cool completely.
- Cover the cake pan with plastic wrap or place the leftovers in an airtight container.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To reheat, preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Place the cake in the oven for about 15-20 minutes until heated through.
The Health Benefits of Chicken Pie with Carrot Straw
When it comes to home cooking, chicken pot pie with carrot straws is a classic that never fails to impress. But did you know that this delicious dish can also provide various health benefits? Packed with nutritious ingredients, this recipe offers a balance of proteins, vitamins and minerals, making it not only enjoyable but also nutritious for your body.
The star of this recipe, carrots are known not only for their vibrant color and sweet taste, but also for their many health benefits. Carrots are an excellent source of beta-carotene, a powerful antioxidant that is converted into vitamin A in your body. Vitamin A plays a crucial role in maintaining healthy vision, supporting immune function and promoting skin health. In addition, carrots are rich in fiber, which aids digestion and helps maintain regular bowel movements.
Potatoes, another key ingredient in this chicken pot pie, offer a number of health benefits. They are a great source of vitamin C, which supports immune system function, acts as an antioxidant, and protects your cells from damage. Potatoes also provide important minerals such as potassium, which is important for maintaining proper heart and muscle function. In addition, they contain complex carbohydrates that provide sustained energy and promote satiety, making this dish filling.
3. Chicken breast
Chicken breast fillets are a lean source of protein, making them an excellent addition to a healthy diet. Protein is essential for building and repairing tissue, supporting strong muscles, and maintaining optimal immune function. It helps you feel fuller for longer, which can help with weight control. In addition, chicken breast is a good source of vitamins B6 and B12, which are involved in brain function, energy production and red blood cell formation.
Aside from adding a pop of bright green color to the cake, peas also contribute their own nutritional benefits. This small but mighty vegetable is rich in vitamins A, C and K as well as minerals such as manganese and folic acid. They are also rich in fiber, which supports healthy digestion and contributes to a feeling of satiety. Peas are known for their antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties and help protect against chronic diseases.
5. Double cream
While double cream adds richness and decadence to the dish, it should be consumed in moderation due to its high fat content. However, it offers some health benefits when consumed in appropriate portions. Double cream is a source of vitamins A, D, E and K, fat-soluble vitamins necessary for various body functions. It also provides essential fatty acids that support brain health and aid in the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins.
To sum up, this Carrot Straw Chicken Pie will not only tantalize your taste buds but also provide your body with a variety of essential nutrients. From the antioxidant-rich carrots and peas to the lean protein of the chicken breast, every ingredient helps promote health. So the next time you treat yourself to this soothing dish, you can be confident that you are also providing your body with valuable nutrients.