This Chicken Livers & Mushroom Nests recipe is a delicious holiday treat that’s perfect for anyone who doesn’t follow religious dietary guidelines.
The combination of pork, chicken liver and mushroom pate creates a rich and earthy flavor that will satisfy your taste buds. These delicious treats make great Christmas fillings and add a touch of flavor to your festive table.
Whether as an appetizer or as a side dish, these hearty nests will delight your guests with their deliciousness. Indulge in the delicious taste of these mushroom-infused treats that are perfect for the holidays.
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil
- 3 onions, finely chopped
- 250g pack of chestnut mushrooms, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 400 g pack of chicken liver, stringy parts removed
- 3 tbsp brandy
- 140g white breadcrumbs
- Bunch of flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- a handful of walnuts, chopped
- 12 smoked, dry-cured, streaky bacon slices
The filling can be up to 48
Hours ahead and refrigerated immediately.
Take it out of the fridge shortly beforehand
Cook. Alternatively, freeze – thaw for up to a month
Put it completely in the fridge beforehand
Cook. Once it’s cooked, it will
Store in a low oven, or it can be
reheated, covered with foil for 20 minutes
minutes while the turkey rests.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/170°C fan/gas 5.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and then fry the onions, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Increase the heat, add the mushrooms and fry until golden brown and all the liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
- Put everything on a plate.
- Pat the liver dry and then add a little more oil to the pan.
- Fry the livers in batches for about 20 seconds on each side, until golden brown but not cooked through.
- Gradually set the cooked livers aside on a plate.
- Add the brandy and reduce to 1 tbsp.
- Roughly chop the cooled livers and mix with the onion mushrooms, brandy, bread and almost all of the parsley and nuts.
- To cook, wrap slices of bacon like little nests in the hollows of a 12-hole bread pan.
- Add the stuffing (reserve 250g for your turkey), sprinkle with the remaining nuts and then bake, covered with foil, for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and cook for another 25 minutes, until the bacon is golden brown.
- To serve, sprinkle with the remaining chopped parsley.
Equipment and tools
To prepare the chicken liver and mushroom nests recipe, you will need the following equipment and tools:
- frying pan
- Garlic press
- measuring spoon
- Oven-safe dishes
- Aluminum foil
The chicken liver and mushroom nests recipe may contain the following allergens:
Please check the ingredients list and ensure it is suitable for your dietary needs.
Storage and leftovers
If you want to make the filling in advance, here are some guidelines:
- The filling can be made up to 48 hours in advance.
- Chill the filling immediately after preparation.
When it comes to storing leftovers:
- Store any cooked leftovers in a low oven to keep warm.
- You can also reheat leftovers by covering them with foil for 20 minutes while the turkey rests.
Health Benefits of Chicken Liver and Mushroom Nests
Chicken livers and mushroom nests not only make a delicious and hearty dish but also provide several health benefits. Packed with essential nutrients, this recipe can be a nutritious addition to your diet. Let’s explore some of the health benefits of the main ingredients of this dish:
Chicken liver is a rich source of high-quality protein, essential for muscle growth, muscle repair, and overall body function. They are also rich in various vitamins and minerals such as vitamin A, vitamin B12, iron and zinc. Vitamin A is important for healthy vision, immune function and skin health, while vitamin B12 supports red blood cell production and nerve function. Iron is necessary for oxygen transport and energy production, and zinc contributes to immune system health and metabolism.
Mushrooms are a low-calorie and nutrient-dense food that can be a valuable addition to a healthy diet. They provide important vitamins and minerals, including B vitamins, copper, potassium and selenium. B vitamins play a crucial role in energy production and brain health, while copper is involved in the production of red blood cells and collagen. Potassium is important for heart health and maintaining healthy blood pressure, and selenium acts as an antioxidant, protecting cells from damage.
Parsley, used as a garnish in this recipe, is rich in vitamins A, C, and K. It also contains antioxidants that may help protect against inflammation and oxidative stress. Vitamin K plays a crucial role in blood clotting and bone health, while vitamin C supports the immune system and promotes collagen synthesis for healthy skin.
Walnuts are a great source of healthy fats, including omega-3 fatty acids, which are beneficial for heart health and brain function. They also provide a good amount of protein, fiber, vitamin E and minerals such as magnesium and copper. Vitamin E is an antioxidant that helps protect cells from damage, and magnesium is essential for energy production, muscle function and bone health.
Slices of bacon
Although bacon is often considered a less healthy option due to its high sodium and saturated fat content, it can still be enjoyed in moderation as part of a balanced diet. The smoked, dry-cured, streaky bacon strips used in this recipe provide a wonderful smoky flavor. However, to maintain a healthy lifestyle, it is important to pay attention to portion sizes and consume bacon in moderation.
In summary, chicken livers and mushroom nests offer a number of health benefits due to their nutrient-rich ingredients. From the protein-rich chicken liver to the antioxidant-rich mushrooms and parsley garnish, this dish offers a well-rounded combination of essential vitamins, minerals, and healthy fats. Including this recipe in a balanced diet can contribute to overall health and well-being.