Indulge in the flavors of the Deep South with our delicious Chicken Gumbo! This traditional Creole-inspired recipe combines tender pieces of chicken with a delicious blend of okra and green peppers. Enriched with the perfect spiciness of cayenne pepper, paprika, cumin and thyme, every spoonful of this low-fat stew brings an explosion of flavor to your taste buds. Whether you’re a fan of Southern cuisine or just looking to spice up your dinner menu, our Chicken Gumbo is a must-try dish that will make your taste buds sing!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 500 g skinless and boneless chicken thighs, cut into pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 3 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 heaped tablespoon of flour
- 400 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 400 ml chicken stock
- 100g okra, cut into 2cm slices
- small handful of sage, leaves chopped
- Crusty bread or microwaved rice to serve
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken and cook in batches until browned all over, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the chicken with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the onion, green pepper and celery to the pan, cover and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened.
- Stir in garlic, spices, thyme and bay leaf and cook until fragrant, 1 minute.
- Add the chicken and pan juices to the pan along with the flour and stir until everything is coated.
- Add tomatoes and stock, bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the okra and half the sage.
- Bring to a simmer, put the lid on and cook for 10 minutes.
- Season and serve, sprinkling the rest of the sage on top.
Equipment and tools
To make this chicken gumbo recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Sharp knife
- Big pot
- wooden spoon
This chicken gumbo recipe contains the following allergens:
Storage and leftovers
If you have any leftovers from this chicken gumbo, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Before serving, reheat the gumbo in a pot on the stove until warmed through.
The Health Benefits of Chicken Gumbo
Chicken gumbo is a delicious and nutritious dish that offers numerous health benefits. With a flavorful combination of vegetables, spices, and protein-rich chicken, it’s a healthy meal that can contribute to your overall well-being. Let’s take a closer look at some of the health benefits that chicken gumbo offers:
Rich in lean protein
Chicken is the main ingredient in gumbo and provides a significant amount of lean protein. Protein is essential for building and repairing tissue and supporting muscle growth and development. Including lean protein in your diet can also help you feel full and satisfied, making it a great weight management option.
Rich in antioxidants
Chicken gumbo contains various vegetables such as onions, green peppers and celery, which are rich in antioxidants. Antioxidants help protect your body from free radicals, which are harmful substances that can cause cell damage. By incorporating antioxidant-rich foods into your diet, you may be able to reduce your risk of chronic diseases, including heart disease and certain types of cancer.
Strengthens the immune system
The combination of garlic, cayenne pepper, smoked paprika and cumin in chicken gumbo provides a flavor kick and immune-boosting properties. Garlic is known for its antimicrobial properties, while cayenne pepper contains vitamin C, which is crucial for a healthy immune system. Smoked paprika and cumin also provide beneficial compounds such as antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties.
Excellent source of fiber
Okra, a vegetable commonly used in gumbo, is a great source of fiber. Fiber plays a crucial role in promoting healthy digestion and preventing constipation. It also helps regulate blood sugar levels, lowers cholesterol and helps maintain a healthy weight. Including fiber-rich foods like okra in your diet can support overall gut health.
Provides essential nutrients
Chicken gumbo also contains a variety of herbs and spices that provide a number of essential nutrients. Dried thyme, bay leaf and sage are rich in vitamins and minerals such as vitamin K, vitamin C, calcium and iron. These nutrients are crucial for various body functions, including blood clotting, collagen synthesis, and maintaining healthy bones.
Enjoy your chicken gumbo with some crusty bread or microwave rice for a healthy and filling meal that will not only please your taste buds but also nourish your body.