Take your taste buds on a journey through Mexico with these delicious chicken enchiladas smothered in a rich and flavorful red mole sauce. Combining traditional Mexican spices and a touch of fiery heat, this dish will tantalize your senses. The tender chicken filling wrapped in soft tortillas provides a wonderful textural contrast. Whether you’re a fan of spicy cuisine or want to explore new flavors, these chicken enchiladas will transport you to the vibrant streets of Mexico. Experience the true essence of authentic Mexican cuisine with this delicious recipe!
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast fillets
- 4 ancho chilies
- 2 plum tomatoes, halved
- 2 tbsp oil or lard
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 3 tablespoons blanched almonds, plus extra for serving
- 2 tsp raisins
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- small piece of dark chocolate
- 375g pack of fresh tortillas
- Add the chicken to the pan and then pour in 300ml cold water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook, turning once, until the chicken is cooked through, 20 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the water (reserving the liquid) and, when cool enough to handle, shred with your fingers or a fork.
- Halve the chilies, remove the seeds and discard.
- Place in a small bowl and cover with boiling water.
- Let them soak for 20 minutes until soft, then drain the water, roughly chop the chilies and put them in a blender.
- Heat a frying pan and add the tomato.
- Cook for 5 minutes until the tomato skins blister and brown.
- Add to blender.
- Heat oil or lard in the same frying pan and fry onions, garlic and almonds for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the raisins, oregano, cumin and cinnamon and cook for another 2 minutes, until the onion is soft, the almonds are golden brown and the raisins are puffed up.
- Add 100ml of the chicken poaching liquid to the blender and puree well.
- Pour the mixture back into the pan, stir in 350ml of the poaching liquid and the chocolate and simmer for 20 minutes.
- To serve, soften the tortillas in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- Pile the chicken on top, pour the sauce over it and roll up.
- Serve sprinkled with coriander leaves, lime and additional chopped almonds.
Equipment and tools
To prepare the chicken enchiladas with red mole sauce, you will need the following equipment and tools:
- cutting board
- baking pan
- frying pan
This Red Mole Sauce Chicken Enchiladas recipe contains the following allergens:
- Tree nuts (blanched almonds)
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftover chicken enchiladas with red mole sauce, follow these storage guidelines:
- Any leftovers should be stored in an airtight container.
- Place leftovers in the refrigerator within two hours of cooking.
- The leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to three days.
- To reheat leftovers, place them in a preheated 350°F (175°C) oven for about 15-20 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
The Health Benefits of Chicken Enchiladas with Red Mole Sauce
Chicken Enchiladas with Red Mole Sauce is a delicious and nutritious dish that not only satisfies your taste buds but also offers several health benefits. This traditional Mexican recipe contains fresh ingredients with unique flavors, making it a healthy meal for the body and mind. Let’s explore the various health benefits it has to offer.
1. Lean protein source
Using boneless, skinless chicken breasts in this recipe provides a significant amount of lean protein. Protein is an essential macronutrient that supports muscle growth, muscle repair and overall health. It helps maintain a healthy body weight and promotes satiety, so you feel fuller for longer.
2. Nutrient-rich ancho chilies
Ancho chilies are full of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. They are a rich source of vitamin C, which boosts the immune system and supports collagen production. Additionally, ancho chilies contain capsaicin, a compound known for its anti-inflammatory properties and potential pain-relieving effects.
3. Tomatoes for heart health
Incorporating plum tomatoes into the sauce creates an explosion of flavor and offers several health benefits. Tomatoes are rich in lycopene, an antioxidant known to reduce the risk of heart disease. Lycopene may also have anti-cancer properties and support overall skin health.
4. Healthy fats
Using oil or lard in the recipe may raise some eyebrows, but when used in moderation, these fats can provide health benefits. Oil provides essential fatty acids like omega-3 and omega-6, which play an important role in brain health, reducing inflammation and supporting heart health.
5. Nutrient boost from almonds
Blanched almonds not only add a delicious crunch to the dish, but also offer numerous health benefits. Almonds are a rich source of healthy fats, fiber and vitamin E. They can help lower cholesterol, support weight management and contribute to improved heart health.
6. Anti-inflammatory spices
The combination of dried oregano, ground cumin, and ground cinnamon not only gives mole sauce more depth of flavor, but also provides anti-inflammatory properties. These spices contain compounds that have been linked to reducing inflammation in the body and may benefit overall health.
7. Dark chocolate to improve your mood
Adding a small piece of dark chocolate to mole sauce not only adds a touch of bitterness, but also offers potential mood-boosting benefits. Dark chocolate contains flavonoids, which increase serotonin levels in the brain, which can help improve mood and reduce stress.
8. Whole wheat tortillas
If you choose fresh tortillas made from whole grains, you give the dish a special nutritional value. Whole grains are rich in fiber, promoting digestive health while providing sustainable energy. They also provide a range of vitamins and minerals that are essential for overall well-being.
Chicken enchiladas with red mole sauce will not only tantalize your taste buds but also provide a number of health benefits. From lean protein to antioxidants to anti-inflammatory properties, this delicious dish can be enjoyed guilt-free. So roll up your sleeves and prepare this nutritious meal for a delicious and healthy dining experience.