This seasonal salad is bursting with vibrant flavors and is an absolute delight for your taste buds. The combination of tender chicken and spicy kumquats creates a perfect balance of sweet and sour. Its tangy and refreshing nature is perfect for hot summer days.
If you can’t find kumquats, don’t worry! Simply replace it with finely chopped lemon peel for a similar flavor. With its invigorating flavor and colorful presentation, this Chicken Kumquat Salad is sure to be a hit at any gathering or as a light but filling meal.
- 3 chicken breasts
- 2 large slices of sourdough bread, cut into cubes
- 200 g broccoli with tender stems, cut into small pieces
- 10 kumquats, thinly sliced and seeded (see tip)
- 10 radishes, cut into quarters
- 1 small red onion, cut into thin half moons
- 100g feta, crumbled
- 50 g roasted almonds with shell, roughly chopped
- small package of chives, chopped
- 4 tablespoons light olive oil or peanut oil
- 1 tsp golden powdered sugar
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 tsp English mustard powder
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp poppy seeds
- Bring two pots of water to the boil.
- Place the chicken breasts in a pan and cook for 2 minutes.
- Turn off the stove, put a lid on it and let it stand for 30 minutes.
- Add the broccoli pieces to the other pan and cook for 2 minutes.
- Drain the broccoli and immediately place it in a bowl of cold water to retain its color and crunch.
- While the chicken is poaching, preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas mark 6.
- Place the bread cubes on a baking tray and bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Prepare the dressing by placing the dressing ingredients and 1 teaspoon salt in a jar with a lid. Shake well and set aside.
- Place kumquats, broccoli, radishes, onions, feta, almonds and chives in a serving bowl.
- Once the chicken is done, remove it from the water and let it cool for 5 minutes.
- Cut the chicken into rough pieces and add to the salad.
- Just before serving, pour the dressing over the salad and mix well.
Equipment and tools
For this recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Large mixing bowl
- frying pan
- Small bowl
This Chicken Kumquat Salad recipe contains the following allergens:
- Sourdough bread (may contain gluten)
- Feta cheese (may contain lactose)
- Almonds (may contain nuts)
Storage and leftovers
If there are any leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. However, keep in mind that the texture of the salad may change slightly due to the dressing and ingredients.
Before storing, remove any dressing mixed with the salad and store separately. This will prevent the salad from becoming soggy.
When you’re ready to enjoy the leftovers, toss the salad well and add fresh dressing if necessary.
Health Benefits of Chicken Kumquat Salad
If you’re looking for a light and nutritious option for your next meal, a chicken kumquat salad should definitely be on your list. Packed with flavorful ingredients, this salad not only satisfies your taste buds but also offers numerous health benefits.
1. High protein content
The chicken breast in this salad serves as an excellent source of lean protein. Protein is essential for building and repairing tissue, supporting muscle growth, and maintaining a healthy immune system.
2. Nutrient-rich broccoli
Tender broccoli is not only delicious, but also incredibly nutritious. It is rich in essential vitamins and minerals such as vitamin C, vitamin K, folic acid and potassium. Broccoli is also known for its high fiber content, which aids digestion and promotes a healthy gut.
3. Vitamin C from kumquats
Kumquats, a citrus fruit with edible peel, add a hint of tangy flavor to this salad. They are rich in vitamin C, which acts as an antioxidant, boosts the immune system and promotes collagen production for healthy skin.
4. Radishes for Digestive Health
Adding radishes to this salad not only provides a crunchy texture but also provides several health benefits. Radishes are known to aid digestion, relieve bloating, and promote healthy liver and gallbladder function.
5. Nutrient boost from feta and almonds
Feta cheese gives the salad a creamy and savory touch. Although feta cheese should be consumed in moderation due to its higher sodium content, it does provide calcium and protein. Roasted almonds, on the other hand, provide healthy fats, fiber and vitamin E, which have a positive effect on skin health.
6. Chives with anti-inflammatory properties
The small packet of chives not only adds a subtle onion-like flavor, but also offers anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Chives are also a good source of vitamin K, which is important for bone health.
7. Healthy dressing ingredients
The light olive oil or peanut oil used in the dressing provides healthy monounsaturated fats. The dressing also contains lemon zest and juice, which are rich in vitamin C, and white wine vinegar, which adds a tangy flavor. The addition of English mustard powder gives the dressing a slight tang and enhances the overall flavor of the salad.
8. Poppy seeds for nutritional value
Finally, the salad is sprinkled with poppy seeds, which provide a slight crunch and good nutritional value. Poppy seeds contain important minerals like calcium, magnesium and zinc, as well as heart-healthy monounsaturated fats.
Overall, this chicken kumquat salad offers a well-rounded combination of protein, fiber, vitamins, minerals, and healthy fats. It’s a delicious and nutritious option that supports your overall well-being.