This fun and easy-to-prepare dish is perfect for getting kids ages 8 to 14 into the kitchen. Give them the opportunity to learn and explore cooking techniques while having fun making these delicious chicken and corn pies. With simple ingredients and step-by-step instructions, this recipe offers young chefs a great hands-on experience to develop their culinary skills. The combination of tender chicken and sweet corn encased in a golden pastry crust is sure to be a hit with the whole family. So round up the kids and let them embark on a flavorful cooking adventure with these delicious cakes!
- 500g puff pastry, plus flour for dusting
- 2 cooked skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons canned or frozen, thawed sweet corn
- 3 tablespoons frozen peas, thawed
- 6 tbsp double cream
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 egg, beaten
- Oil, for brushing
- Ask an adult helper to turn the oven on to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface and cut out into a rectangle measuring approximately 24 x 36 cm.
- Cut the dough in half lengthwise, then use a small knife or scissors to cut each half into three equal squares about 12cm on a side.
- Slide each square into the oiled pan, making sure it goes all the way to the edge.
- Using scissors or a small knife, cut the chicken into strips and then into pieces. Place pieces in a bowl.
- Add the sweetcorn, peas, cream and mustard to the chicken bowl.
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Divide the mixture among the cakes.
- Roughly fold over the tops of the cakes and press them together. Don’t worry if they don’t cover all of the filling.
- Brush the dough with the beaten egg.
- Ask your adult helper to place the cakes in the oven for 35 minutes or until they brown and the filling bubbles.
Equipment and tools
To make chicken and corn cakes you will need the following equipment and tools:
- rolling pin
- Flour for dusting
- Casserole dish or individual cake pans
- Pastry brush
This chicken and corn cake recipe contains the following allergens:
- Gluten (contained in puff pastry)
- Eggs (in the filling and for topping)
- Mustard (included in Dijon mustard)
Storage and leftovers
Once cooked, the Chicken & Sweetcorn Pies can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Make sure they are properly covered or sealed to preserve freshness. To reheat, preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F) and reheat the pies until heated through, about 15 minutes. Leftover cakes can also be frozen for up to 2 months. Allow them to thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
Health Benefits of Chicken and Corn Cakes
When it comes to comfort food, there are few dishes that can compete with warm and delicious chicken and corn pies. Not only are they very popular, but they also offer numerous health benefits that make them a great addition to your diet. Let’s take a closer look at the nutritious ingredients that make this dish so wholesome!
1. Cooked skinless chicken breast
Chicken is a lean source of protein that provides essential amino acids necessary for the growth and repair of body tissues. It’s also low in fat and calories, making it an excellent choice for anyone watching their weight or wanting to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
With its deliciously sweet taste, candy corn is not only a delicious addition to cake but also offers several health benefits. It is a good source of fiber, which aids digestion and helps maintain regular bowel movements. In addition, sweet corn contains important vitamins and minerals such as folic acid, vitamin C and potassium.
Peas add to the nutritional value of chicken and corn patties by providing additional fiber and essential nutrients. They are a great source of vitamin K, which plays a crucial role in blood clotting and bone health. Peas also contain vitamin C, vitamin A and various B vitamins.
4. Double cream
While double cream adds a touch of richness to pies, it should be consumed in moderation due to its high fat content. However, as part of a balanced diet, it can be a good source of energy and contribute to the feeling of fullness after eating.
5. Dijon mustard
A teaspoon of Dijon mustard gives the pies a spicy kick but also offers surprising health benefits. Mustard seeds contain a compound called glucosinolate, which is associated with anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects. Additionally, mustard can help improve the flavor of foods without adding excessive calories or sodium.
The beaten egg used to brush the dough not only gives the pies a beautiful golden brown color, but also provides several nutrients. Eggs are an excellent source of high-quality protein and contain important vitamins and minerals such as vitamin B12, vitamin D and choline, which are essential for brain health.
7. Puff pastry
Puff pastry made from flour and oil gives the chicken and corn pies a light and flaky texture. Although it’s important to consume pastries in moderation due to their higher fat and calorie content, eating pastries occasionally can add a touch of indulgence to your diet.
With all of these healthy ingredients, chicken and corn patties make a filling and nutritious meal that the whole family can enjoy. So next time you’re craving some comfort food, give this recipe a try and enjoy both the taste and the health benefits it offers!