We introduce you to our delicious cherry and almond cake – a treat that goes beyond Easter and pampers the palate all year round. Not only is this delicious cake perfect for special occasions, but it will add a touch of elegance to any gathering. Refined with juicy cherries and a tempting almond flavor, every bite offers a touch of deliciousness. The moist texture and heavenly aroma will captivate your senses, making it the ideal centerpiece of any celebration. Treat yourself to a piece of this delicious cake and experience the pleasure that is guaranteed to leave you wanting more.
- 250g butter, softened, plus a little butter for greasing
- 175g golden powdered sugar
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 250 g self-raising flour, plus another 2 tbsp
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- Zest 1 orange and add 2 tablespoons of juice
- 250g natural marzipan, coarsely grated (easiest if it is cooled beforehand)
- ½ tsp almond essence, optional
- 200 g glazed cherries, halved
- 100g powdered sugar, sifted
- 50 g roasted almond flakes
- 12 natural glazed cherries
- Zest of 1 orange
We used cherries instead of marzipan, which is traditionally rolled into balls to top simnel cakes. Most people top their cake with 12 balls representing the 12 apostles minus Judas and Jesus. Others use 11 – it’s up to you.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/fan 140°C/gas 3
- Butter and line a round, deep cake tin with a diameter of 20 cm and a loose base
- Using electric mixers or a table mixer, beat butter and sugar until fluffy
- Add eggs, 250 g flour, baking powder, orange peel and juice
- Mix well until the mixture is thick, creamy and evenly mixed
- Dredge the cherries in the additional 2 tablespoons of flour and fold them into the dough
- Together with grated marzipan and almond essence (if using)
- Pour into the prepared tin, smooth out and bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes, or until the dough has risen well and is golden brown
- A skewer comes out clean when finished
- Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely
- Mix the powdered sugar with a little more than 1 tablespoon of water to form a loose but not too runny glaze
- Sprinkle the almonds over the cake
- Place the 12 glazed cherries on the edge and secure them with a dot of icing
- Drizzle the frosting over the cake
- Finish with a pinch of orange peel
Equipment and tools
- mixing bowl
- Electric mixer or whisk
- Round cake tin, greased
- Cooling rack
- Spatula or wooden spoon
- Zester or grater
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Knife for halving cherries
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- butter (milk)
- Eggs (dairy products)
- Flour (gluten)
- Marzipan (nuts)
- Almonds (nuts)
Before preparing this recipe, please ensure that these allergens are appropriate for your dietary needs.
Storage and leftovers
After baking, allow the cake to cool completely before storing. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or place it in an airtight container to keep it from drying out. It can be stored at room temperature for up to 3 days.
If there are any leftovers, they can be stored in the same way. Alternatively, you can freeze the cake for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator before serving.
Health Benefits of Cherry Almond Cake
Cherry almond cake not only satisfies your sweet tooth but also offers various health benefits. It contains several ingredients that contribute to your overall well-being. Here are some of the health benefits of this delicious cake:
Cherries are the main ingredient in this cake and offer numerous health benefits. They are rich in antioxidants such as anthocyanins, which protect your cells from damage caused by free radicals. Cherries also have anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce inflammation in the body.
Almonds are not only delicious, but also full of nutrients. They are a great source of healthy fats, proteins and fiber. Almonds are also rich in vitamin E, which acts as a powerful antioxidant and supports skin health. In addition, they contain magnesium and potassium, which are essential for heart health.
The zest and juice of an orange used in this cake add a hint of citrus flavor. Oranges are known for their high vitamin C content, which boosts your immune system and helps prevent common illnesses. They also contain fiber, which aids digestion and supports a healthy gut.
Almond marzipan is used in this cake to give it a rich almond flavor. Almonds are nutrient-dense and, as mentioned earlier, offer several health benefits. Using marzipan in your cake can contribute to higher nutrient absorption and give your dessert a unique taste.
5. Powdered sugar and roasted flaked almonds:
The powdered sugar and roasted almond flakes used as a topping not only enhance the look, but also give the cake a delicious crunch. While these ingredients don’t provide any significant health benefits, they definitely make the cake more enjoyable.
6. Glace Cherries:
The halved glazed cherries used in the cake not only add a pop of color, but also provide the same health benefits as regular cherries. They complement the taste and make every piece of cake more attractive.
Overall, this cherry almond cake is a delicious treat that offers a combination of flavors and essential nutrients. Enjoy a slice of this cake while reaping the health benefits of its ingredients.