Packed with the fresh and delicious flavors of zucchini, cheese and tomatoes, our Cheese and Zucchini Pesto Pudding is the perfect choice for a comforting dinner any time of year. This easy-to-make vegetable casserole is a delicious and nutritious option that will satisfy your taste buds. The combination of these ingredients creates a delicious dish that is both hearty and wholesome. Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking for a tasty meal, this pudding is sure to become a family favorite. Treat yourself to a delicious culinary experience with this delicious vegetarian treat!
- Sunflower oil for greasing
- 650g medium zucchini
- 12 slices of ciabatta (about two-thirds of a loaf)
- 4 large eggs
- 500 ml semi-skimmed milk
- 4 tbsp fresh pesto
- 3 large tomatoes, cut into thick slices (preferably each into thirds)
It gets very hot in the oven, so let it cool down a bit before eating so that the flavors really come into their own. Serve alone or with a leafy salad or wilted spinach.
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4 and grease a rectangular ovenproof dish.
2. Halve the zucchini crosswise, then cut each one lengthwise into 3 long slices and brush sparingly with oil.
3. Heat a grill pan and cook the zucchini in 2 batches for 6 minutes on each side until soft and charred.
4. In the meantime, spread the bread generously with the cheese.
5. Mix eggs, milk and pesto and season.
6. Arrange the bread in the pan, stacking the slices vertically like on a toast rack.
7. Then arrange the zucchini and tomatoes between the slices – you can also place 2 zucchini slices between them to fill them.
8. Pour the pesto mixture over the top and bake in the oven for 55 minutes to 1 hour, until set and beginning to rise.
Equipment and tools
To make this Cheese Zucchini Pesto Pudding you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Sunflower oil for greasing
- A medium sized, greased baking dish
- A grater or food processor to grate the zucchini
- A sharp knife for cutting ciabatta and tomatoes
- A mixing bowl
- A whisk or fork
- Measuring cups and spoons
Here is some important allergen information for this recipe:
- This recipe contains gluten from ciabatta bread.
- This recipe contains dairy products from eggs and milk.
- This recipe may contain nuts if your pesto contains nuts as an ingredient.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers, you can store and reheat them as follows:
- Allow the cheese zucchini pesto pudding to cool completely.
- Transfer any remaining portions to an airtight container.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To reheat, place individual portions in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave until warmed through.
Note: The leftovers may lose some of their consistency and become slightly mushy when reheated.
Health Benefits of Cheese and Zucchini Pesto Pudding
The combination of cheese and zucchini in this delicious pudding not only makes for a tasty dish but also offers several health benefits. Let’s take a closer look at the key ingredients and how they contribute to your well-being.
Zucchini, also known as zucchini, are low in calories and high in water content, making them an excellent choice for weight management. They are also a good source of fiber, which aids digestion and helps maintain a healthy digestive system. Zucchini is rich in vitamins A and C, which are essential for maintaining healthy skin and boosting the immune system. In addition, they contain potassium, magnesium and folic acid, which are essential for maintaining normal body functions.
The ciabatta bread used in this recipe gives the pudding a delicious crunch. Although ciabatta doesn’t have a particularly high nutritional value, it is low in fat and contains some important minerals such as iron, magnesium and selenium. However, as part of a balanced diet, it is important to consume bread in moderation.
Including eggs in this recipe provides a good source of high-quality protein. Eggs are packed with essential amino acids necessary for cell growth and repair. They are also rich in vitamins and minerals such as vitamin B12, vitamin D and selenium. Despite their cholesterol content, studies have shown that moderate consumption of eggs does not have a significant impact on blood cholesterol levels in most people.
4. Fresh pesto
Fresh pesto made from basil, pine nuts, garlic, parmesan and olive oil offers numerous health benefits. Basil is a rich source of antioxidants that protect the body from cell damage caused by free radicals. Pine nuts provide healthy fats, vitamin E and minerals such as iron and magnesium. Garlic has powerful antimicrobial and immune-boosting properties, while Parmesan cheese provides a rich flavor and is a good source of calcium and protein.
The addition of thick-cut tomatoes not only improves the flavor of the pudding but also provides several health benefits. Tomatoes are an excellent source of vitamin C, potassium and antioxidants such as lycopene, which has been shown to have potential protective effects against certain types of cancer.
In conclusion, pesto pudding with cheese and zucchini is not only a delicious dish but also offers a number of health benefits. From the fiber-rich zucchini to the nutrient-rich eggs to the fresh pesto, every ingredient contributes to a balanced meal. So treat yourself to this delicious pudding guilt-free, knowing that you are nourishing your body with healthy ingredients.