Teach kids lifelong cooking skills with a special recipe from CBeebies: I Can Cook – these rolls show how to make dough. Get ready to unleash the chef in you as your little ones learn the art of making delicious cheese sandwiches. With easy-to-follow instructions, this recipe will encourage your kids to roll up their sleeves and make a mess in the kitchen. Watch as they mix, knead, and shape the dough into fluffy buns filled with gooey, melted cheese. A perfect treat for any time of day! Encourage your children to unleash their culinary creativity with these delicious cheese rolls.
- 200g flour, plus some flour for dusting
- 50 g butter, soft
- 1 tsp paprika
- 100-125ml milk
- 50 g fully grated mature cheddar
Depending on your child’s age,
and how much cooking experience
You either have to weigh everything in advance
or ask them to help you with a few
of the ingredients. The more they get
Confidant, you can make the preparations
The ingredients are part of the fun.Before you start
Wash your hands and tie them back for a long time
Hair and put on an apron.equipment
For the roll-ups you need a baking tray, baking paper,
scales, mixing bowl,
Rolling pin, fork and a table knife.
- Preheat oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 7.
- Put the flour and butter in a bowl and rub together with your fingers. Rubbing the mixture with cold butter is hard and tiring for young fingers. Therefore, use slightly softened butter – but not so soft that it becomes oily.
- Now stir in the paprika powder and mix again.
- Add 100 ml milk and mix with a fork until a soft dough forms. If the dough is dry, add a splash of milk. This process teaches you to feel the dough and decide if it needs more liquid. You can always add more milk if needed.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured work surface to about 0.5 cm thick like puff pastry. Try to maintain a rectangular shape. Roll in one direction only, roll and turn, roll and turn – by keeping the dough moving you avoid it sticking at the end.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese on top and roll up the long side like a sausage.
- Cut into 12 thick rings with a table knife. Have an adult show you how to hold the dough with one hand and cut straight through with the other.
- Cover the baking sheet with baking paper. Place the rolls cut side down on the parchment so they are almost touching each other, making sure you can see the spiral. Ask an adult to pop them into the oven for you and bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown and melty.
- Ask an adult to remove them from the oven and then let them cool.
- The cheese rolls can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Equipment and tools
To prepare the cheese rolls you will need the following equipment:
- A baking tray
- baking paper
- A mixing bowl
- A rolling pin
- A fork
- A table knife
The cheese rolls contain the following allergens:
- Gluten (found in self-raising flour)
Storage and leftovers
Once the cheese rolls are baked and cooled, you can store them in an airtight container. They are best consumed within one to two days. To reheat, place them in a preheated 180°C (356°F) oven for a few minutes until warm. Please note that reheating may affect the texture.
Health Benefits of Cheese Roll Ups
Cheese sandwiches are not only delicious and easy to prepare, but they also offer numerous health benefits. Using self-raising flour, butter, paprika, milk and grated mature cheddar, these roll-ups provide a well-rounded snack or meal option. Let’s take a closer look at the health benefits of each ingredient:
Self-raising flour is a combination of all-purpose flour and baking powder. It contains essential nutrients such as carbohydrates, proteins and fiber, which are important for energy production, muscle repair and a healthy digestive system. Additionally, self-raising flour is often fortified with iron and B vitamins, which support red blood cell production and proper nervous system function.
Although butter is high in saturated fat, it provides essential fatty acids, vitamins A, E, and K, and cholesterol, which are necessary for proper brain function, skin health, and the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins. However, it’s important to consume butter in moderation and choose grass-fed butter whenever possible to achieve a healthier fat profile.
Paprika is a spice made from ground red peppers. It contains a compound called capsaicin, which gives it a spicy taste and also offers a number of health benefits. Capsaicin has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties and may help relieve pain, promote weight loss, and support heart health. In addition, peppers are rich in vitamin C, which strengthens the immune system and helps protect against disease.
Milk is a great source of calcium, protein and vitamins, especially vitamin D. Calcium is essential for strong bones and teeth, while protein helps build and repair tissue. Vitamin D supports calcium absorption and plays a crucial role in maintaining bone health and supporting the immune system.
Ready grated mature cheddar
Cheddar cheese is a good source of protein and calcium. Protein is essential for muscle growth and repair, while calcium supports bone health. In addition, cheddar cheese contains vitamin A, which contributes to good eyesight and a healthy immune system. However, due to its high saturated fat and sodium content, it is important to consume cheese in moderation.
By combining these ingredients, cheese sandwiches provide a filling and nutritious snack or meal option. Remember to enjoy them in moderation as part of a balanced diet.