Looking for a delicious way to use up the leftover cheese in your fridge? Then you’ve come to the right place with this delicious cheese board and onion cake! Combining a combination of blue cheese, creamy cheese, and cheddar cheese, this tart offers the perfect balance of bold flavors. The creamy texture of the cheese complements the savory caramelized onions, creating a heavenly combination that will make your taste buds sing. Whether you’re entertaining guests or simply in the mood for a hearty meal, this delicious tart is a must-try. Don’t let those leftover cheese go to waste – enjoy the deliciousness of this Cheese Board Onion Tart today!
- 250g flour, plus some flour for rolling
- 125 g butter, cold and diced
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 onions, cut into rings
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 eggs
- 284 ml pot of double cream
- 250g cheese – I used a third each of Stilton, Brie and Cheddar
- Place the flour, butter and salt in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Add 4 tablespoons of cold water and work into a dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface, shape into a smooth disc, then wrap and chill for at least 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface until it is large enough to line a 9-inch loose-bottomed tart pan.
- Line the mold with the dough, leaving excess dough to remain.
- Line with baking paper and fill with baking beans.
- Bake on a baking sheet for 15 minutes.
- Remove the paper and beans and bake for another 10 minutes until light golden and cooked through.
- While the dough is cooking, fry the onions in the oil over medium heat for 10 minutes until golden brown.
- Mix eggs and cream, then season to taste.
- Crumble the hard cheese and cut or tear the cream cheese into small pieces.
- Sprinkle the cheese into the dough base, add the onions and then pour in the egg mixture.
- Turn the oven down to 160°C/fan 140°C/gas mark 3 and bake for 40 minutes, until set and lightly golden brown.
Equipment and tools
For this recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- rolling pin
- mixing bowl
- Measuring cups and spoons
- frying pan
- Baking dish or tart dish
This cheese board and onion tart recipe contains the following allergens:
- Dairy products (butter, cream and cheese)
Please ensure that these ingredients do not cause any allergies or side effects to you or your guests.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers from this Cheese Board Onion Tart, you can store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply place the tart in a preheated oven at 180°C (350°F) for about 10 minutes or until heated through.
This cake also tastes great served cold and is therefore ideal for picnics or packed lunches.
The health benefits of cheese platter and onion tart
When it comes to comfort food, there are few dishes that can compete with a warm and cheesy cheeseboard and an onion tart. This delicious recipe combines the richness of three different cheeses with the sweetness of caramelized onions, all nestled in a puff pastry crust. But did you know that this treat also offers several health benefits? Let’s take a closer look at some of the nutritional benefits this cake has to offer.
1. Good source of protein
Cheese Board Onion Tart is packed with protein thanks to the generous amount of cheese and eggs used in the recipe. Protein is an essential nutrient that plays an important role in building and repairing tissue, promoting healthy growth, and supporting a strong immune system. Including protein-rich foods like this pie in your diet can help you feel fuller for longer and provide the necessary building blocks for good overall health.
2. Excellent calcium content
The different types of cheese used in this tart provide a significant amount of calcium, a mineral that is crucial for maintaining strong bones and teeth. Calcium is also important for proper muscle function, nerve signaling and blood clotting. By enjoying a piece of cheeseboard and onion tart, you can increase your calcium intake and support the health of your skeletal system.
3. Nutrient-rich onions
Including onions in this recipe not only adds delicious flavor but also brings several health benefits. Onions are a rich source of antioxidants, including flavonoids and sulfur compounds. These antioxidants help fight inflammation, reduce the risk of chronic disease, and promote heart health. Additionally, onions are low in calories and high in fiber, making them a great addition to a balanced diet.
4. Moderate energy content
Although cheeseboard and onion tart may not be the lowest calorie option, it can still fit into a balanced diet if enjoyed in moderation. The cake provides a lot of energy, making it an ideal option for anyone looking for a hearty and filling meal. Remember to balance your calorie intake throughout the day and pair this pie with nutrient-dense foods like vegetables for a well-rounded meal.
5. Versatility and customization
One of the great things about cheese board and onion tart is its versatility. You can easily adapt it to different dietary preferences or specific dietary needs. For example, if you’re watching your cholesterol levels, opt for lower-fat cheeses or reduce the amount of cheese. Alternatively, you can add different vegetables to increase the nutritional value of the pie.
Now that you know some of the health benefits of cheese and onion tart, you can enjoy this dish guilt-free. Remember to enjoy it in moderation and balance it with other nutritious foods to ensure a balanced diet.