Looking for a delicious and easy meal? Then our cheese and onion quiche recipe is just right for you! This delicious dish requires minimal effort thanks to the convenience of store-bought pastries. Whether you’re planning a relaxed weekend lunch or organizing a delicious buffet, this quiche is sure to impress your guests. The perfect accompaniment to this savory treat is a refreshing, crisp green salad that offers a delicious combination of flavors and textures. Don’t wait any longer – treat yourself to simplicity and indulgence with our easy-to-prepare cheese and onion quiche.
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus some for the can
- Flour for dusting
- 320g pack of ready-rolled shortcrust pastry
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- large bunch of spring onions, finely chopped
- 4 eggs, plus 1 egg yolk
- 250 ml whole milk
- small bunch of chives, finely chopped
- 150 g mature cheddar, grated
- green salad (optional)
- Lightly grease a 9-inch, loose-bottomed fluted cake pan with a pastry brush.
- Lightly dust a clean work surface with flour and turn the dough out onto it.
- Roll out the dough into a circle larger than the flan pan.
- Carefully place the dough into the pan, gently pressing it into the bottom and sides.
- Leave an overhang over the edge of the mold. Chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a skillet over low-medium heat.
- Stir in the onion with a large pinch of salt and fry gently for 15 minutes until softened.
- Add the spring onions and cook for a few minutes until slightly softened.
- Transfer to a plate and let cool slightly.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Crumple up a sheet of baking paper and place it over the edges of the pan.
- Fill the tin with baking beans up to the edge.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the beans and parchment and bake for another 5-10 minutes, until lightly golden and sandy to the touch.
- When the dough has risen, gently press it down with a cold metal spoon.
- Once the dough has cooled slightly, trim the edges of the dough.
- While the dough is baking, stir together the eggs, yolks, milk and chives in a jug.
- Season well with salt and black pepper.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4.
- Place the flan pan on a baking sheet and spread the onions evenly over the bottom.
- Sprinkle most of the grated cheddar on top and pour over the egg mixture.
- Top with remaining cheese and bake for 25-30 minutes, until firm and lightly golden brown. The center should wobble slightly.
- Remove and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes before slicing.
- Serve warm, with a crisp green salad if desired.
Equipment and tools
- mixing bowls
- frying pan
- rolling pin
- Cake pan or quiche pan
- This recipe contains eggs, milk and cheese, which may be potential allergens for some people.
- People with milk or lactose intolerance should avoid or substitute the dairy ingredients in this recipe.
- People sensitive to gluten can replace the plain flour and shortcrust pastry with gluten-free alternatives.
Storage and leftovers
Leftover cheese and onion quiche can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To reheat, place in a preheated oven at 180°C for about 10-15 minutes, or until heated through.
Avoid freezing as the texture and taste may be affected.
Health Benefits of Cheese and Onion Quiche
Cheese and Onion Quiche is a delicious and versatile dish that can be enjoyed as a light lunch, brunch or dinner. In addition to its incredible taste, this classic recipe also offers several health benefits. Let’s take a closer look at some of the nutritious ingredients that make up this delicious dish:
1. Olive oil
Olive oil, a key ingredient in this quiche recipe, is known for its heart-healthy properties. It is rich in monounsaturated fats, which may help lower bad cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease. In addition, olive oil contains antioxidants that have an anti-inflammatory effect on the body.
2. Shortcrust pastry
The ready-rolled shortcrust pastry used in this recipe forms a crispy and flaky base for the quiche. Although not the healthiest component, the pastry can be enjoyed in moderation as part of a balanced diet. Its main ingredient, plain flour, provides carbohydrates, which are an important source of energy for the body.
This quiche contains both white onions and spring onions, which give the dish a savory and aromatic touch. Onions are low in calories and full of essential nutrients like vitamin C, fiber and antioxidants. They also have potential anti-inflammatory properties and may contribute to improved heart health.
Eggs are a fantastic source of high-quality protein and provide all the essential amino acids your body needs. They are also rich in various vitamins and minerals, including vitamin B12, vitamin D and selenium. Contrary to previous misconceptions, moderate egg consumption can be part of a healthy diet and does not have a significant impact on cholesterol levels in most people.
5. Whole milk
The addition of whole milk gives this quiche a creamy and rich consistency. Milk is an abundant source of calcium, which is necessary for maintaining strong bones and teeth. It also provides proteins and important vitamins such as vitamin D and vitamin B12. However, those with lactose intolerance or dietary restrictions should consider alternative milk options.
Chives, known for their mild, onion-like flavor, are a popular culinary herb used in this recipe. They contain essential nutrients such as vitamin K, vitamin C and antioxidants. Additionally, chives may have potential health benefits, including anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties.
7. Mature Cheddar
The mature cheddar cheese gives the quiche a rich and tangy flavor. While cheese is relatively high in fat and calories, it is also a good source of protein and important minerals such as calcium and phosphorus. Moderation is the key to cheese consumption to maintain a healthy diet.
Enjoying a slice of cheese and onion quiche can be a delicious way to incorporate these nutritious ingredients into your diet. Remember to enjoy this dish in moderation and pair it with a refreshing green salad to add more vitamins, minerals and fiber to your meal.