Looking for a healthy and tasty dish? Try our Chana Masala, a delicious Indian curry filled with chickpeas, spinach and tomatoes. Packed with nutritious vegetables, this super healthy meal is perfect for anyone looking for a balanced diet. The combination of tender chickpeas and strong spinach creates a filling and hearty curry. To complete the dish, we recommend serving it with brown basmati rice, known for its nutty flavor and healthy properties. Get ready for a guilt-free dining experience that will tantalize your taste buds and nourish your body.
- 75g quick cooked brown basmati rice
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 cm piece of ginger, peeled and finely chopped or grated
- ½ red chili pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 400 g can of whole plum tomatoes
- 400 g canned chickpeas, drained
- Juice ½ lemon
- 220g bag of baby spinach
- Cook the rice according to the package instructions.
- Meanwhile, heat a large nonstick skillet or wok and dry-fry the cumin seeds, stirring frequently, until they pop, 1 minute. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, heat the oil, add the onion, garlic, ginger and chilli and fry over medium heat for about 3 minutes.
- Reduce the heat, add all the spices, stir well and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, stir and use the side of a spoon to break them into smaller, bite-sized pieces.
- Add chickpeas and 200 ml water.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice and spinach.
- Allow the spinach to wilt and then remove the pan from the heat.
- Divide the rice between two bowls and serve the curry.
- (The flavor intensifies as it cools, so for a fuller flavor, make it earlier in the day and reheat slowly before serving.)
Equipment and tools
- Medium sized pot
- frying pan
- Sharp knife
- wooden spoon
- tin opener
This recipe contains the following allergens:
Storage and leftovers
Store leftover spinach chana masala in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Warm up thoroughly before consumption.
Health Benefits of Chana Masala (Chickpea Curry) with Spinach
Chana Masala, also known as chickpea curry, is a popular and tasty dish that originally comes from India. Not only is it delicious, but it also offers numerous health benefits. Combined with spinach, this dish becomes even more nutritious. Let’s explore some of the health benefits of chana masala with spinach:
1. Good source of protein
Chickpeas, the main ingredient in chana masala, are an excellent source of plant-based protein. Protein is essential for the growth, repair and maintenance of body tissue. A serving of chana masala can provide a significant amount of protein, making it a great option for vegetarians and vegans.
2. Rich in fiber
Both chickpeas and spinach are high in fiber. Fiber is crucial for maintaining a healthy digestive system and promoting regular bowel movements. Including chana masala with spinach in your diet can help prevent constipation and support overall gut health.
3. Abundance of vitamins and minerals
Chickpeas and spinach are both rich in important vitamins and minerals. Chickpeas are a good source of folate, iron, magnesium and zinc, which are necessary for various body functions. Spinach is rich in vitamins A, C and K, iron and calcium. These nutrients contribute to immunity, bone health and optimal blood circulation.
4. Rich in antioxidants
The spices used in chana masala such as cumin, coriander, turmeric and paprika are known for their antioxidant properties. Antioxidants help protect the body from free radicals, which can cause cell damage and contribute to chronic disease. Including antioxidant-rich foods like chana masala in your diet can reduce the risk of certain diseases.
5. Supports weight management
Chana Masala with Spinach is a nutritious and filling dish that can help with weight management. The combination of protein, fiber and low calorie content makes this curry a filling meal that will keep you full for longer. It can be a great addition to a balanced diet for anyone who wants to maintain a healthy weight.
6. Promotes heart health
The ingredients in chana masala, especially chickpeas and spinach, contribute to heart health. Chickpeas are a good source of soluble fiber, which helps lower cholesterol. Spinach is rich in potassium, which can help regulate blood pressure. Including chana masala with spinach in your diet can support a healthy heart.
With its tantalizing flavors and numerous health benefits, Chana Masala with Spinach is a delicious addition to any meal. So why not try incorporating this delicious and nutritious dish into your regular diet?