If you’re a true curry lover, the layers of spices in this fragrant and tender chicken thigh curry will hit the spot.
Enriched with aromatic cardamom and lime leaves, this delicious dish offers a flavor explosion that will tantalize your taste buds.
The juicy chicken thighs are perfectly cooked and absorb the rich and complex curry sauce. Served alongside fluffy rice, every bite is a delicious symphony of textures and flavors.
Whether you’re in the mood for a casual dinner or hosting a dinner party, this cardamom-infused chicken with lime leaves is a surefire way to impress your guests with its exotic and irresistible spice blend.
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, grated
- 2 tbsp finely grated fresh ginger
- 12 cardamom pods, deseeded and lightly crushed
- 4 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tsp turmeric
- ½ -1 tsp ground white pepper
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 red chili pepper halved, deseeded and cut into thin slices
- 400 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp mango chutney
- 2 tsp vegetable stock powder
- 1 eggplant, diced
- 12 skinless, boneless chicken thighs (approx. 1 kg)
- 4 small fresh or dried lime leaves
- 1 green pepper, halved, seeded and sliced
- 125g brown basmati rice
- 100g dried red lentils
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp vegetable stock powder
- Heat the oil in a large, wide pan
- Add the onion and cook until softened, 5 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Stir in the garlic, ginger, cardamom, cloves and cinnamon and cook, stirring frequently, for another 5 minutes
- Add all remaining spices with the chili and stir briefly over the heat
- Add the tomatoes with 1 can of water, the chutney and the stock
- Stir in the eggplant and bring to the boil
- Cover the pan and simmer for 15 minutes
- Stir well and add the chicken and lime leaves
- Push under the liquid and sprinkle over the green peppers
- Cover the pan and cook for 40 minutes
- Remove the chicken, cut it into medium sized pieces and put it back into the sauce
- Meanwhile, prepare the rice by putting all the ingredients in a medium saucepan with 750ml water
- Bring to a boil, then cover and cook for 20 minutes
- Turn off the heat and let stand for 5 minutes to absorb excess moisture
- Serve with the curry
Equipment and tools
To prepare this recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Mortar and pestle
- wooden spoon
- tin opener
- measuring spoon
This cardamom chicken with lime leaves recipe contains the following allergens:
- None of the 14 major allergens
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply heat in a pan on the stove until heated through. It is not recommended to freeze this dish.
Health Benefits of Cardamom Chicken with Lime Leaves
The health benefits of cardamom chicken with lime leaves are not only due to the delicious flavors but also the nutritious ingredients present in it. This article explores the potential health benefits of some key components of this dish.
Cardamom, known for its aromatic and warming properties, is a spice that has been used in traditional medicine for centuries. It is rich in antioxidants that help fight inflammation and reduce oxidative stress in the body. Cardamom has also been found to have antimicrobial properties that may help protect against certain pathogens.
Ginger, another key ingredient in this recipe, has long been used for its medicinal properties. It is known for its anti-inflammatory and anti-inflammatory effects. Ginger also contains compounds that may help lower blood sugar levels and improve digestion.
Turmeric, a bright yellow spice, is a powerful anti-inflammatory agent. It contains curcumin, a compound whose potential health benefits have been extensively studied. Curcumin has shown promise in reducing the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease, cancer and Alzheimer’s.
Garlic not only adds flavor to this dish but also offers numerous health benefits. It contains sulfur compounds that have been shown to have antimicrobial and immune-boosting properties. Garlic can also help lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
5. Basmati rice and lentils
Brown basmati rice and red lentils are excellent sources of fiber, essential for a healthy digestive system. They also provide complex carbohydrates that ensure consistent energy release. These ingredients are low in fat and contain essential vitamins and minerals, making them a nutritious addition to the meal.
This recipe contains eggplant, green peppers, and onions, all of which are packed with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. These vegetables contribute to the overall nutritional value of the dish and provide a range of health benefits including improved digestion and immune system support.
Cardamom Chicken with Lime Leaves not only pleases the taste buds but also offers a number of potential health benefits. The combination of spices, vegetables and whole grains makes for a nutritious and tasty meal. Incorporating these ingredients into your diet can be a delicious way to support your overall health and well-being.